California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

I had to laugh. Before we left Vons, I made the comment about stopping at the Snake and how there are usually interesting cars and you just never know, Jay Leno might show up or the American Pickers guys could come by (both of which have happened on previous drives). And then literally 5 minutes after we arrived at the Snake (if that much), Leno drives up in his Fiat. We almost missed him too. We had just driven through and our usual parking area was filled. So I pulled us by, made a U turn further down the road, and we pulled in on the opposite side of our usual spot (it seemed like the safest thing to do). That worked out nicely though, as it turned out.

I finally got to ask the question that has always bugged me which is how does he choose the car he decides to drive. Apparently they had just recently done some work on the Fiat so he wanted to take it out for a shake down drive.

He said there is no rhyme or reason to what he chooses to drive on any given day, but that it *wasn't* based on color.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really want to make it to one of these soon but I dunno if I can keep up. I drive like an old lady! lol
Old 02-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks once again rmurphy for planning it i regret not staying for the second half now

for_my_s2k, you can sit in the back with me, im slow

first time making a video and using a go-pro.

http://vimeo.com/37556733
Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM

Looks good. What program are you using to edit the gopro files?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by for_my_s2k
I really want to make it to one of these soon but I dunno if I can keep up. I drive like an old lady! lol
You might not be right on anyone's bumper (and shouldn't be anyway), but we wouldn't lose you. One of the first rules in the drive is everyone should drive to their own comfort level. If you are worried you'll be slow, run toward the tail end of the pack. I bring radios so we minimize the potential of losing people, plus I strive to make sure we get all bunched back up before any major direction changes. I have one radio in my car, one in the last car, and then one or two scattered in the middle of the group as/if needed. And others who have radios of their own to bring are encouraged to do so just in case of emergency. I plan out the trip such that there are convenient slow down or stopping points so we keep everyone together. I wait at the stop signs to make sure everyone is caught up. Believe me, if we can keep from losing a Honda Odyssey mini-van (the Hang-Over run) while still making the rest of the drive enjoyable for those who like to drive hard, we can keep your CR in sight back there.

I put a lot of thought into these drives so that they are safe, enjoyable, challenging (in areas), social, and hopefully have everyone smiling. The point of the fun run is to have fun. I strive to make these drives precisely that: fun!

Originally Posted by b5boy
thanks once again rmurphy for planning it i regret not staying for the second half now
Yeah, second half is really the driver's part of the run. :-) Not that the first half isn't fun too, but it incorporates scenic views, car watching and occasional celebrity sightings along with the twisties.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 AM

I just might have to make it next month then.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cargo
Looks good. What program are you using to edit the gopro files?
i didn't really edit them. at first i was just going to have separate videos of each road, but then there was a ton of wind noise, so i wasn't going to make anything. then i realized i might was well do something, so i plopped them into sony vegas, and just sped everything up the fastest i could. nothing special
Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Pictures from the drive

Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Heres' some video of Tuna canyon.
Sorry if the music isnt your taste.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullQM...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 PM

Great vantage point up there on top of your car, Cargo! Nice footage. Great view of Alan's CRZ in front of you. He gets that thing through a corner pretty darn nicely. Those motorcyclists on Tuna were rather pokey. Was ever so happy when they pulled off and let us through.

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.