California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm glad you all had fun. That's the point of these drives -- have fun, enjoy the day, enjoy the cars, enjoy the roads, and drive fast in a spirited fashion.

Admittedly, we got slowed down a lot because of getting stuck behind some oddly courageous (aka stupid) bicyclists, some overly cautious cars, and one or two decidedly pokey cruiser motorcycles, but it was still fun. One fat-cat four door Jag tried to give me a run for my money on Piuma, but I think I only had to upshift to 3rd once to keep up with him. He was definitely working the brakes harder than they were used to because I could smell them.

I explain all that so that those in the back of the pack who couldn't see the front of the line understand why it wasn't as spirited in the corners as I would have liked. The straight aways... well, we do those at the speed limit for a reason, and we drove by one of those reasons along the way and flashed him a nice 47 mph smile as we did.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi RMurphy,
Thanks again for leading the pack. My wife and I had a great time(though I should have taken some dramamine before hand). My apologies to Beem and PJ. Sorry we couldn't go after the drive.
J-Gab
Old 02-03-2012, 04:31 PM

Old 02-06-2012, 04:14 PM

Update re the February drive added to first post.

Duke: Thanks for embedding the pics from RockStorePhotos.com! Cool!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 PM

I think I'll have to make it up from the South Bay for this month's drive. Looks like fun...
Old 02-17-2012, 06:17 PM

this looks like a lot of fun. just picked up my new S a couple days ago, i definitely think i'd come out for one of these soon!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 AM

Just a reminder for anyone planning to attend, we are a go for Sunday morning this weekend. Details are in the first post.

Also while I'm at it, I happen to have an OEM air filter for an AP1, new, still in the original packaging. Got shipped the wrong one from HandA Accessories and never got around to shipping it back. Paid about $30 for it new. Will happily take $20 for someone to make it go away.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Just wanted to say I had a blast today.
The best group of driving enthusiasts I've met.
Cant wait until next month.

By the way I was in the white GSR.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Good run today! Here's a short movie I made from today's run. Enjoy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1bo2IJC_c[/media]
Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 AM

I think everybody had a really great time. Lots of fun! I suppose I should probably mention that the BEST part of the drive is typically after lunch. :-) We lost a couple of people at lunch time and it's possible they didn't know that we run the longest stretch of the drive with the best roads starting after lunch.

So just a quickie format note without openly stating our route:
We meet up, socialize for about 20-30 minutes while we wait for everyone to arrive, have a quickie driver's meeting, then drive some cool roads that lead us up to the top of The Snake. We pit there for pics of cool cars, possible Leno sighting, and scenic views, then head to lunch via some more twisties. After lunch we do an extended drive from the vicinity of Encinal Canyon through the Santa Monica mountains and ending eventually at PCH in Malibu at the bottom of one of THE coolest little driving roads known to man (or woman).

Cargo: so glad you could make it out. Looking forward to seeing any video you got. And yes, it was a really well-matched group of enthusiasts with the perfect balance of respect for the road and love of the drive.

Pics here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1099073...eat=directlink

Video of Leno's 1917 Fiat as he backed it out of the overlook area to head down the Snake.
http://youtu.be/V44q9OwDoD8

Jay's Fiat. My yellow S is in the background. He showed up about 5 minutes after we arrived.

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.