California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First timers,
The best part of the run is the 2nd part. Please plan to stay with us after lunch.
When there's enough cars, we split into two groups. There is a possibility that you will be in the group leading by a not so well accepted Honda for most Honda enthusiasts. Please be kind.

And please don't drive like these folks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZVrnd9V7sk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1_FaZqW5pw
Old 08-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by i69myAp1' timestamp='1345857462' post='21963012
As this is my first run, is there anything I need to bring or remember so I don't look completely stupid?
There are just so many ways I could reply to that. :-D With a screen name like that, are you really worried about looking stupid? Lol!

Originally Posted by Silver5656
nope, maybe some sunglasses, sunscreen, water, radio (walkie talkie) if you have one but not a big deal. I would check tire pressures. And maybe 10 bux for lunch lol
Yeah, that's about it, in a nutshell. All the details anyone needs to know is in the first post in this thread. Read that, and if you still have questions, read it again. Then look at the pictures. :-) Do not miss the "driver's meeting" if this is your first group drive. I cover all the important stuff you need to know in what has affectionately become known as the safety Nazi speech.

You know that's good point. I will admit I have a disturbing love for my S2000. Heading out to buy some walkies
Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Alan (human668), thanks for posting those vids. For those who don't recognize it, the second video is from the Snake on Mulholland and that is on our drive. Crossing the double yellow is *very* bad anywhere on the road, but particularly in the Snake. All I can say is drivers need to not over-drive the situation and please be sure to stay within your comfort level. A slower but in-control driver is far preferred to a fast but wild and unpredictable one. You won't get lost out there. I've set this up such that you won't. And we all look out for each other.

And don't let Alan fool you. His little black CR-Z hauls butt and is definitely nothing to scoff at. He can teach any of us a thing or two about smoothness and car control. Smooth is fast.

Yes, I personally think the best part of the drive is the second half; however, everyone should decide for themselves when they are "done." Anyone can bail when they feel like it, just make sure others know before you bail so that we don't think you are lost and come looking for you, and so that others don't accidentally follow you when you split off from the group.

In that second video, I think the driver to whom I give the most credit was the red Mini driver. Yes he overcooked the corner, but he didn't suddenly lift, didn't over correct, and he let the car drift such that it wouldn't endanger anyone else. Basically he handled it like they tell you to when you mess up turn 4 at Laguna Seca. I don't advocate going off road and it would have been far better if he had gone in a little slower so he could have driven it clean through and exited fast, but he dealt with the consequences of his mistake with some small amount of grace. (edit: Of course, for all I know, he just sat there holding on to the wheel praying for dear life something would catch grip again and the thing just understeered until he finally stopped in the dirt. Certainly once he was fully in the dirt he had the wheel cranked left to no avail and he was just along for the ride at that point. so maybe he wasn't all that great after all. lol!)
Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 PM

http://youtu.be/WoBg9vmKbz0

Yeah, don't be these people. And realize that any corner you come around, one of these people could be crosswise in front of you.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:10 PM

So I saw this video of tanner Faust drifting his rock star NASCAR V-8 powered drift car on maul holland the CHP had it shut down for him. Matt Farrah was interviewing him and asking about how much of a logistical nightmare it would be to have it shut down to do the shoot, and Tanner answered, "actually not hard at all". Which gave me the idea that we should put our heads together and see what would have to be done to get a couple hours of closed circuit fun on a small stretch of mulholand. What do you guys think?
Old 08-25-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by i69myAp1
Which gave me the idea that we should put our heads together and see what would have to be done to get a couple hours of closed circuit fun on a small stretch of mulholand. What do you guys think?
I think you should start a different thread about it.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by i69myAp1' timestamp='1345943428' post='21964776
Which gave me the idea that we should put our heads together and see what would have to be done to get a couple hours of closed circuit fun on a small stretch of mulholand. What do you guys think?
I think you should start a different thread about it.

Terribly sorry. I'm not even entirely sure what thread means.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:24 PM

What time is roll call again? Are we meeting at vons? What's the address again?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by NaturalAspirations
What time is roll call again? Are we meeting at vons? What's the address again?
see here
Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 PM

I can't believe cars are crossing lanes when bikes are going up and down blind corners while people are filming. WTF?!?!?!? Most of Mullholland seems like a bad idea to cross lanes especially during the middle of the day in that situation. Does this run meet up with the other show/run thing on Topanga the same day?

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.