California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, that cop is just hard-parking and keeping it safe!lol
good thing you all are safe great drivers! hi rmurphy! i see my home canyon there!
But as a 20+ year resident of Malibu, I can tell you, BE CAREFUL - the police are good at their jobs and are very strict. From personal and friends experiences, they will ticket you for: loud music, no front and/or plate, ANY mods (exhaust, BOV, being lowered, etc). They consider ANY tire noise or rev matching/downshifting and engine braking as 'exhibition of speed' so always and especially in Malibu, Newbury park, Simi Valley, Palisades and Santa Monica.
Great Pictures too!!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

I have seriously been considering dropping Latigo from the drives. It's in such bad need of resurfacing toward the bottom (particularly the area closer to the homes) that any cars which have been lowered tend to have bottoming issues. The roughness can also make for less than ideal traction. All the other roads in the area have been resurfaced within the last three years, but not Latigo. It's kind of a shame such a cool road has been left to deteriorate so badly.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 PM

We could do Encinal canyon instead. It's kinda a fast road though. Also we could take Mulholland all the way to pch
Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 PM

Looking forward to the drive and meeting you all this month!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:55 PM

^^ aw geez. They'll let *anybody* in here now, won't they? There goes the neighborhood! :-D
Old 07-05-2012, 03:07 AM

Okay, we have some video. It's the view looking backwards out of my car. Latigo Canyon -- raw, uncut, and unfiltered. You can even hear me call a motorcyclist a dumba$$ because he crossed the doubleyellow for absolutely no good reason at all (about the two minute mark). And watch the wind deflector -- you can see a small spot which is a reflection of the sun off the gear shift knob. And if you watch closely, you can see me move my hand to it and upshift and downshift as the various straights and corners unfold.

The first ten minutes are at a pretty good pace. The last five or so we are in some rougher road areas so the pace drops off a bit. But you also get to see the cyclists riding doublewide who frequently get the heart pumping as you round a corner. Why do they do that???

To set the stage, we begin on Kanan Dume Road heading west. Then we turn left onto Latigo Canyon and head to the bottom where we stop at PCH. And with no further delay, here it is:

http://youtu.be/lmiF5pAEzsY
Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Okay, we have some video. It's the view looking backwards out of my car. Latigo Canyon -- raw, uncut, and unfiltered. You can even hear me call a motorcyclist a dumba$$ because he crossed the doubleyellow for absolutely no good reason at all (about the two minute mark). And watch the wind deflector -- you can see a small spot which is a reflection of the sun off the gear shift knob. And if you watch closely, you can see me move my hand to it and upshift and downshift as the various straights and corners unfold.

The first ten minutes are at a pretty good pace. The last five or so we are in some rougher road areas so the pace drops off a bit. But you also get to see the cyclists riding doublewide who frequently get the heart pumping as you round a corner. Why do they do that???

To set the stage, we begin on Kanan Dume Road heading west. Then we turn left onto Latigo Canyon and head to the bottom where we stop at PCH. And with no further delay, here it is:

http://youtu.be/lmiF5pAEzsY
Nice... What was the average speed in the first 5 min. ?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:16 PM

On Kanan, slow. The first 30 seconds of Latigo, slow (wanted to make sure the group made the turn okay). After that, I don't know. I don't have any kind of data acquisitions to be able to report specific averages for you. You can listen for the shifts though and make some guestimations. I upshift to third every so often, but most of my time is spent in second gear and almost constantly in vtec. You know, I just couldn't say since I go with what feels right and if I glance at the dash, it's to check tach, not speedo. OF COURSE, I'm sure we never exceeded 35 MPH which is the posted speed limit on Latigo. ;-)
Old 07-05-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
On Kanan, slow. The first 30 seconds of Latigo, slow (wanted to make sure the group made the turn okay). After that, I don't know. I don't have any kind of data acquisitions to be able to report specific averages for you. You can listen for the shifts though and make some guestimations. I upshift to third every so often, but most of my time is spent in second gear and almost constantly in vtec. You know, I just couldn't say since I go with what feels right and if I glance at the dash, it's to check tach, not speedo. OF COURSE, I'm sure we never exceeded 35 MPH which is the posted speed limit on Latigo. ;-)
I see, very nice. Can't wait to join you guys for the next run.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:25 PM

I should take this opportunity to reiterate something I've said many times before: everyone should drive their own comfort level. This is critical and I can't stress it enough. Do NOT worry about holding up the group (we'll wait at the next stopping point). Do NOT worry about the guy behind you maybe wanting to go faster. He can trade spots with you later and you are NOT ruining his drive (we got no room for impatient drivers in this group). Exceeding your comfort level will cause you to make mistakes. On the street, mistakes can be very costly. So just relax, enjoy, and have fun.

For those who want to drive faster than whoever happens to be in front of you, just remember you can spook the guy in front of you into making a mistake that can hurt everyone, so mind your following distances and don't be a di... I mean dork. You can switch up the order of cars at the next scheduled stop. :-)

I'm actually reading a thread on a BMW forum right now from a few years ago. Guy died on a drive in the OC. Driver and front seat passenger walked away okay, but his passenger in the back seat (it was an M3) was trapped in the back after the roll over and, when the car went up in flames, they were unable to get him out in time. Imagine how awful that must have been for both the trapped guy and those trying to get him out. I *never* want something like that to happen on a drive I organize. So if I sound a little over protective and nazi-like sometimes, well, that's why. I go fast, but it's critical to me that everyone walk away alive and smiling to enjoy the next drive they choose to take.

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.