California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had so much fun yesterday!

It was my second time for the first half and first time for the whole day. Second half was more interesting because of the one way tuna canyon road.

I am a newbie and learning the roads and my car's limit so it was tough to keep up with everyone with my comfort level. Well, I guess I just need more seat time and gradually increase my driving skill and learn the limit of my car.

I will join as many drives I can, untill then everyone tale care and enjoy the S!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 PM

Yesterday was a blast! Im hooked! Now couldn't wait till next month.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm really glad everyone had a good time. Makes all the effort worth it!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Drive was good. A little bad luck on traffic in the second part of the drive, but that's how it goes sometimes.

LE was definitely making a show of it out there today. One was parked right where they snagged me last year (I've noticed them hanging around there a lot lately) on Mulholland between Kanan and Encinal right before you hit Kanan. It's right at the bottom of that long downhill straight. And they were out patrolling quite a bit. Heading out to lunch from from Latigo when we did was the best thing we could do because I think the cop that showed up and was hanging around would have started giving tickets for front license plates if we had hung around any longer.
How often does this happen? Do they look and ticket for this type of stuff? I'd hate a fix it ticket for exhaust, lic plate or tires! I'm so local it hurts not to go to these but it seems like something gets in the way.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by ddess
How often does this happen? Do they look and ticket for this type of stuff? I'd hate a fix it ticket for exhaust, lic plate or tires! I'm so local it hurts not to go to these but it seems like something gets in the way.

Well, obviously I have no stats on it. I can tell you that I have personally been ticketed three times over the last 5 years in my S2000 for no front plate. Once near LAX (they are uber anal about security near the airport), once parked on the street near my former office space (parking enforcement nailed me!), and once last year on the End of Month drive. After the first one, I zip-tied the plate on for awhile, then took it off. Same for the second one. After the third one, I zip-tied it again to get the ticket signed off, but then eventually got a hide-away plate mount. Now, to be fair, the cop who pulled me over during the EOM last year *easily* could have written me up for speeding, and that is actually what he pulled me over for initially -- he had me on radar and it was just stupid dumb on my part for not thinking ahead and realizing that was *exactly* the kind of place they would be set up since it was at the bottom of a long straight downhill right before a stop sign. Duh! He was kind, though, and did NOT give me the speeding ticket. Instead I got a fix-it ticket. Much cheaper, less hassle, no points, etc.

I know one other S2000 owner who got one about a month after me when he was driving in the canyons on his own. It was his first license plate ticket in his S and he's had his a bunch of years. He wasn't doing anything else. They pulled him over expressly because of the plate and told him so. However, it's been my experience that they don't usually pull you over for that alone unless they think you are being a twit or doing something that's causing problems for others. In our case on Latigo, there was clearly a line of us there parked who were out for a spirited drive, all standing around (and some of us -- me included -- standing in the road which wasn't ideal for safety). They start looking for stuff you are doing wrong when you are being stupid (like I said... I was standing in the road next to the cars getting it clear with everyone where we were off to next and probably looking pretty distracted and unsafe as a pedestrian technically in the line of traffic).

You know, I don't know if it's something they are "cracking down" on or what. In general, people who are willing to remove a front plate may be willing to take other risks as well (no insurance, no registration, etc.) and so they want to check. It's a sweeping generalization and a stereotype, but one that exists for a reason. So I think LE is more sensitive to such things than maybe we would like.

PS Exhaust I can understand you worrying about if you have removed your cat or are running too loud, but what about your tires would make you get a ticket?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by ddess' timestamp='1340844845' post='21817088

Well, obviously I have no stats on it. I can tell you that I have personally been ticketed three times over the last 5 years in my S2000 for no front plate. Once near LAX (they are uber anal about security near the airport), once parked on the street near my former office space (parking enforcement nailed me!), and once last year on the End of Month drive. After the first one, I zip-tied the plate on for awhile, then took it off. Same for the second one. After the third one, I zip-tied it again to get the ticket signed off, but then eventually got a hide-away plate mount. Now, to be fair, the cop who pulled me over during the EOM last year *easily* could have written me up for speeding, and that is actually what he pulled me over for initially -- he had me on radar and it was just stupid dumb on my part for not thinking ahead and realizing that was *exactly* the kind of place they would be set up since it was at the bottom of a long straight downhill right before a stop sign. Duh! He was kind, though, and did NOT give me the speeding ticket. Instead I got a fix-it ticket. Much cheaper, less hassle, no points, etc.

I know one other S2000 owner who got one about a month after me when he was driving in the canyons on his own. It was his first license plate ticket in his S and he's had his a bunch of years. He wasn't doing anything else. They pulled him over expressly because of the plate and told him so. However, it's been my experience that they don't usually pull you over for that alone unless they think you are being a twit or doing something that's causing problems for others. In our case on Latigo, there was clearly a line of us there parked who were out for a spirited drive, all standing around (and some of us -- me included -- standing in the road which wasn't ideal for safety). They start looking for stuff you are doing wrong when you are being stupid (like I said... I was standing in the road next to the cars getting it clear with everyone where we were off to next and probably looking pretty distracted and unsafe as a pedestrian technically in the line of traffic).

You know, I don't know if it's something they are "cracking down" on or what. In general, people who are willing to remove a front plate may be willing to take other risks as well (no insurance, no registration, etc.) and so they want to check. It's a sweeping generalization and a stereotype, but one that exists for a reason. So I think LE is more sensitive to such things than maybe we would like.

PS Exhaust I can understand you worrying about if you have removed your cat or are running too loud, but what about your tires would make you get a ticket?

Thank you for the detailed reply. I appreciate it. Also great idea on the zip ties! I just have to dig it out of the garage.

As for my car I rarely street drive it (I know it's a shame) but its mostly a track car....loud cat less exhaust, stripped interior and R-comps. I'd hate a multi fix it ticket but I don't drive like to bring attention my way. I'm still headed out with you guys, if my schedule allows this month.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:48 PM

This month's pictures.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 AM

Great pics Alan! Thanks for sharing them!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 PM

Just wondering how the drive went. Any pictures taken? I wanted to go but was busy that weekend. I was hoping to make it to the next one or catch one in the fall.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 PM

Techteach: scroll up in this thread. There are pics, a recap, comments, and link to video.

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.