California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, looks like I'm actually showing up again... Finally!
I'm in San Diego with the S visiting my girl, so we'll try to make it in time tomorrow...
Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 PM

Anyone from Torrance going and needs a co-driver? My wife will be busy in the morning so I'm free! Looks pretty intense don't know if I would be able to keep up driving my own car. Gas and lunch on me!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Gardimontana_S2K
That's great! Looking forward to seeing you again, and meeting your GF! I'll PM my cell in case you run across any major delays driving up from SD.

Originally Posted by ef9dc2fa1ap2
Anyone from Torrance going and needs a co-driver? My wife will be busy in the morning so I'm free! Looks pretty intense don't know if I would be able to keep up driving my own car. Gas and lunch on me!
Chances are you'll keep up fine. :-) Drive your own pace/comfort level and we wait at the stop signs for everyone to catch up. Don't worry. We don't let anyone get lost. And if you really don't want to drive, my passenger seat is open this month. Then you can see what the run is like from up front and decide for if you want to drive next time. Just come out to Vons and decide when you get there.

And Chaz, if SMART cars show up, they can drive with us if they can keep up. :-D We aren't a bunch of BMW douches. ;-)
Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have a general map/ directions for the runs ? I would love to run with everyone but just can't wake up early enough, and have always wanted to drive these mountains just not too sure where I should drive.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I won't be able to join you guys for the runs since I'm going to be meeting up my friends then heading out but I might see you guys at the top of snake!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:38 AM

See you guys in hour and half!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:47 AM

For anyone who is checking here: I'll be there at 9:15.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by Gardimontana_S2K' timestamp='1335671472' post='21652396
That's great! Looking forward to seeing you again, and meeting your GF! I'll PM my cell in case you run across any major delays driving up from SD.

Originally Posted by ef9dc2fa1ap2
Chances are you'll keep up fine. :-) Drive your own pace/comfort level and we wait at the stop signs for everyone to catch up. Don't worry. We don't let anyone get lost. And if you really don't want to drive, my passenger seat is open this month. Then you can see what the run is like from up front and decide for if you want to drive next time. Just come out to Vons and decide when you get there.

And Chaz, if SMART cars show up, they can drive with us if they can keep up. :-D We aren't a bunch of BMW douches. ;-)
Thank you for the gracious offer! I woke up late. The weather looks fantastic today and I hope everyone has fun!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:35 PM

So as I was driving out to Malibu this morning I was thinking, "Oh it's a gorgeous day. Everyone is going to have something else to do and we won't have a lot of cars at this drive." Ha! Something like 20 cars showed up. That presented some challenges.

We had a lot of first-timers and I think I didn't spend enough time making sure everyone was on the same page. My fault. Learn something new every time. When we get that many cars, I need to break us into two groups -- one veterans and one newbs -- then I have to cajole someone else who knows the route to lead one of the groups.

We had one unfortunate event during the drive and that was on Latigo Canyon. No physical injuries but one S did sustain some damage. That makes me sad. Not fun when that happens. :-( I think Latigo is the only road where folks seem to have issues. Makes me wonder if I should alter the route (but Ivan, aka Walnut, loves that road and so do I, kind of), or make a much stronger disclaimer before we head down it.

No Leno sightings this time. Lots of cars on the roads. Next month we start earlier because of both summer traffic and summer temps. That will alleviate some of those issues.

So I have action items for next month:
1) Better walkie-talkies.
2) Simple printed route sheet with BIG print (and duct tape so folks can tape it to the dash)
3) Volunteers to lead in case we have a large group.

I'm looking for volunteers for second lead in case we have that need. Anyone who feels comfortable with doing that, please pipe up!

Kudos to Chazdawg's Mom for sticking it out with us the entire drive!

Here's the only pic I took on the drive, on Saddle Peak Road near the top of Stunt Road:

Old 04-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
So as I was driving out to Malibu this morning I was thinking, "Oh it's a gorgeous day. Everyone is going to have something else to do and we won't have a lot of cars at this drive." Ha! Something like 20 cars showed up. That presented some challenges.

We had a lot of first-timers and I think I didn't spend enough time making sure everyone was on the same page. My fault. Learn something new every time. When we get that many cars, I need to break us into two groups -- one veterans and one newbs -- then I have to cajole someone else who knows the route to lead one of the groups.

We had one unfortunate event during the drive and that was on Latigo Canyon. No physical injuries but one S did sustain some damage. That makes me sad. Not fun when that happens. :-( I think Latigo is the only road where folks seem to have issues. Makes me wonder if I should alter the route (but Ivan, aka Walnut, loves that road and so do I, kind of), or make a much stronger disclaimer before we head down it.

No Leno sightings this time. Lots of cars on the roads. Next month we start earlier because of both summer traffic and summer temps. That will alleviate some of those issues.

So I have action items for next month:
1) Better walkie-talkies.
2) Simple printed route sheet with BIG print (and duct tape so folks can tape it to the dash)
3) Volunteers to lead in case we have a large group.

I'm looking for volunteers for second lead in case we have that need. Anyone who feels comfortable with doing that, please pipe up!

Kudos to Chazdawg's Mom for sticking it out with us the entire drive!

Here's the only pic I took on the drive, on Saddle Peak Road near the top of Stunt Road:

RMurphy, thank you for organizing and leading us.

I was there for the first time and really enjoyed the drive. I will try to show up as often as I can. I met few people and maybe I should introduce myself to everyone next time...

Unfortunately I had to leave the drive after the latigo run... I will try to stay to the end next time.

Thank you again everyone and see you guys again soon!

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.