California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Interesting - What happens to you when you steal?

Old 03-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting - What happens to you when you steal?

So last year someone broke into my girlfriend's car and stole her chargers, school supplies, and a nice flashlight. The girl who did this was caught and found guilty of all charges including thefts she committed against other people in this apartment complex. She was ordered to pay restitution to everyone by the judge.

Fast forward to today. We got a letter from the local Probation Officer handling this case telling us that their authority to obtain the payment for us has expired and they can no longer go after her for it. They advised us that we can pursue her in civil court if we wanted to and provided us with the girl's last known address, SSN, driver's license number, and DOB.

OK - so since it's a small amount I am not going to do anything about it, but at the same time I think it's lame that they can just tell us we're SOL. Pretty much it's like this:

We caught this girl stealing your property and a car filled with stolen property. We will make her pay you back. Oh wait, it's been xxx months so we can't go after her any more. You can sue her using money out of your own pocket and when you win the case she may magically pay you because she will receive ANOTHER order from the courts to pay you since she failed to pay you the first time when she was ordered to pay....

So yeah, apparently if you're caught stealing and can't pay back the money you were ordered to you can simply just don't do anything and nothing will happen? LAME. Maybe I am exaggerating, but hell, it seems that way.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:54 PM

Be thankful this wasn't cybercrime, it wouldn't even have made it to court.

That said, you can take it to court. If she doesn't appear, you can win a default judgment. With that, you can file a lien against her current, or future, property. This, at the very least, will show up on her credit report and will prevent her from ever buying a house, or make it harder to rent an apartment, buy a car, etc (you can keep it going forever if you renew it every decade or so).

If you find out where she works, you can have her wages garnished. This will make her look really bad to her employer (and you'll get paid).

Even if it's not about the money, you can pursue her and make her life suck that much more.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See why street justice can work better?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by chairmnofthboard,Mar 19 2010, 07:40 PM
See why street justice can work better?
You sound like Steven Seagal.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:05 PM

that blows...
Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by mrjulius,Mar 19 2010, 06:48 PM
You sound like Steven Seagal.
Steven Seagal is a lawman. You're talking about the characters he plays
Old 03-19-2010, 08:14 PM

There's the court decision, then there is ENFORCEMENT of that court decision.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by minboost,Mar 19 2010, 06:54 PM
Be thankful this wasn't cybercrime, it wouldn't even have made it to court.

That said, you can take it to court. If she doesn't appear, you can win a default judgment. With that, you can file a lien against her current, or future, property. This, at the very least, will show up on her credit report and will prevent her from ever buying a house, or make it harder to rent an apartment, buy a car, etc (you can keep it going forever if you renew it every decade or so).

If you find out where she works, you can have her wages garnished. This will make her look really bad to her employer (and you'll get paid).

Even if it's not about the money, you can pursue her and make her life suck that much more.
seriously.. my debit card got hacked somehow and someone jus to mess with me made all these charges for shit all over the globe... new zeland georgia uk malasia. b of a ftw cuz they didnt charge me but man o man was it a hassle. only had 300 in the account too
Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same goes for car accident settlement ..for my friend ..

apparently the at fault party cannot pay all at once and court ordered them to pay 20 bucks a month to cover the total 500 dollars damaged, after a month, they stopped the payment, the court told my friend there is nothing the court can do and he will need to file another civil lawsuit ??? WTF ??? another one ??? i thought we just came out from court ???
Old 03-20-2010, 08:17 AM

**** it, time for a man hunt

Quick Reply: Interesting - What happens to you when you steal?