California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Identity Theft Sort of...

Old 10-04-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Identity Theft Sort of...

I'm so livid right now! I just found out somee as*clown used my debit/credit card and bought those online $$$$$$ crap 6 times all in one day. Not only that since they keep on using my damn card, I don't even have money in the damn account but getting charged NSF fees by the bank!

I called the bank to report the charges but since it's still "pending" they can't do anything. WTF is that about?!

Has something like this ever happend to you guys? What did you end up doing? How long did it take for you to get your money back. Did they give your money back?

to theives.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Former Moderator

happened to me with the credit card number and the credit card company took care of it. good luck
Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have not had this happen to me yet but my CC are maxed out i don't know what they can possibly charge
Old 10-04-2006, 12:24 PM

Slightly off topic but if you haven't already done so, it might be wise to also place a 90 day fraud alert through the credit companies (experian, transunion, equifax). For anything longer than 90 days, I think you need to submit an id theft report from the police or other law enforcement agency but they'll give you instructions on that if you ask for it. The cool thing is you can setup the 90 day one over the phone pretty easily and it'll notify all the other credit reporting agencies. Once that 90 days is up, you can renew it again the same way. In the event someone has your other information and is applying for credit, they'll have to check with you first to verify that you applied.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CC fight for their client... Some of the Debit card say SOL
good luck
Old 10-04-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by SEVNT4,Oct 4 2006, 01:24 PM
Slightly off topic but if you haven't already done so, it might be wise to also place a 90 day fraud alert through the credit companies (experian, transunion, equifax). For anything longer than 90 days, I think you need to submit an id theft report from the police or other law enforcement agency but they'll give you instructions on that if you ask for it. The cool thing is you can setup the 90 day one over the phone pretty easily and it'll notify all the other credit reporting agencies. Once that 90 days is up, you can renew it again the same way. In the event someone has your other information and is applying for credit, they'll have to check with you first to verify that you applied.
You should also cancel whatever credit cards/debit cards they are using immediately to prevent more charges. Everything should get sorted out eventually, but it might be a painful process...
Old 10-04-2006, 01:43 PM

This has happened to me a couple times. I called my bank to report it, they faxed me some forms and I made note of the specific fraudulent charges and how I found them. They also immediately cancelled the card and started processing on a new one.

My bank didn't ask me to file a police report but some banks may.

I faxed the documents back to them and they started an investigation. Three days later, I got a temporary refund for the full amount.

About 10 days later, I receive my new card.

Eventually, the bank determines the charges were, indeed, fraudulent and they let me keep the money.

And that's it.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have fraud protection, then the bank will handle everything.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa161822,Oct 4 2006, 11:41 AM
Has something like this ever happend to you guys? What did you end up doing? How long did it take for you to get your money back. Did they give your money back?
Sorry to hear this but I'm going through the same situation but with a credit card opened under my name.

Your best move is to really be on top of things when dealing with the bank. Keep track of everything and be persistent with them in regards to their investigation! No need to file police report yet or placing fraud alert on your credit bureaus imo since this is more about fraudulent charges...

Not all banks/credit cards are alike as far as dealing with fraud. Hope your bank backs you up
Old 10-04-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by nontoyable,Oct 4 2006, 03:02 PM
Your best move is to really be on top of things when dealing with the bank. Keep track of everything and be persistent with them in regards to their investigation! No need to file police report yet or placing fraud alert on your credit bureaus imo since this is more about fraudulent charges...
Sure, this issue may only be about fraudulent charges but if your goal is to be proactive and to be on top of things, you should do everything you can do minimize any potential fraud. That's the whole point. Prevention. If you're lucky and all they've stolen was just a CC number, great. It's easy to setup a minimal alert and IMO, everyone with a social security card should be using that feature. Thieves bank on the fact that people AREN'T proactive.

Quick Reply: Identity Theft Sort of...