California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

How soon should clutch go out.?

Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OMFG don't ask expensive.

Unless you like that price shown above don't bother.^

Aftermarket is the only thing to consider, why pay insane prices for a stock one?

I will be preforming a CDV removal/modification. Instead of removing it'll i'll be attempting to drill it out only partially, thus reducing the delay time by 50% if possible. This should still protect the diff while removing the delay time by half.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,May 9 2009, 06:22 PM
OMFG don't ask expensive.

Unless you like that price shown above don't bother.^

Aftermarket is the only thing to consider, why pay insane prices for a stock one?

I will be preforming a CDV removal/modification. Instead of removing it'll i'll be attempting to drill it out only partially, thus reducing the delay time by 50% if possible. This should still protect the diff while removing the delay time by half.
whats a good aftermarket one u recommended?
Old 05-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

we can get you a clutch and do the install also, pm or call us if interested.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's got 120k miles. Be good to it, it'll last!
Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 PM

^ Def a fan of them doing the work.

Hello ........ @ evasive.

My reccomendation would depend upon your future plans for the car. Plans to go FI and you usage of the car are the most important deciding factors.

For me its a FX400 because I plan to make 600hp if my plan doesn't change. Give some more info and I'll provide some more info on a clutch I recommend you.

Here's something to consider also; do you mind loud clutches and do you mind stiff clutches with a short engagement range, that is to say they don't slide much and they're more on/off rather then smooth.

-Greg
Old 05-10-2009, 07:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Read through all the responses, but I'm still at somewhat of a loss. You see when I say I feel a slipping, I am not talking about it being during shifts. It feels like it may be slipping during acceleration. Not the cdv's fault for that. At the same time I am not sure exactly if it is slipping because There is no loss in performance, the revs climb the same as they always have, t I can feel and somewhat hear thuds coming from underneath me. I am pointing the problem at the clutch at the moment because of the very low fluid level, and because It just can't be anything else.

Remember I baby this car with the occasional spirited bursts on highway on ramps. Other then that there is no need for the clutch to go out so soon like this if that is the problem.

If I have to then I am not going with the stock set-up again. I will go ahead and by aftermarket even though I would prefer to get nothing right now. The goal for me with this car, well, either stay NA and try to go as high in HP as I can or maximum go FI and shoot for no more then 400HP.

I'll just have to get it checked by a pro to make sure it isn't something else. I don't know if I should take it to honda because if they find that it is the clutch then I have a feeling they might own me on the price.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S_special,May 9 2009, 07:18 PM
how much is a clutch job with OEM parts.. just out of curiosity
~$800 with pilot, throwout bearing and installation.

If you're staying NA, I'd recommend ACT, Exedy, or Clutchmasters.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:04 AM

The "thuds" are making me nervous..... clutches that are worn don't thud, they just smoothly slip, way too much.

Mine is toast right now so by flooring it I can send the car to redline while in gear at 4,000rpm.

It is POSSIBLE that the THUD sound is actually something stripping out in your drive-train, for example a few missing teeth or a Sungear with no pressure from the plate behind it can hop gears and sort of do what you're saying.

Little nervous about that....

As for clutches, You've got quite a few options, I would go for a FX300, there's one selling pretty cheap here on the forum right now.

There are some problems with certain clutches out there, cases of toasted engines as a result. Please read up on your purchase. I don't wanna bash any of the ones people listed already but....there have been problems.

-Greg
Old 05-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=05TurboS2k,May 10 2009, 09:04 AM] The "thuds" are making me nervous..... clutches that are worn don't thud, they just smoothly slip, way too much.

Mine is toast right now so by flooring it I can send the car to redline while in gear at 4,000rpm.

It is POSSIBLE that the THUD sound is actually something stripping out in your drive-train, for example a few missing teeth or a Sungear with no pressure from the plate behind it can hop gears and sort of do what you're saying.

Little nervous about that....

As for clutches,
Old 05-10-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HvRRZ,May 10 2009, 07:29 AM
I am pointing the problem at the clutch at the moment because of the very low fluid level, and because It just can't be anything else.
Did you fill it? That's most likely your problem right there.

Quick Reply: How soon should clutch go out.?