California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Horrible Motorcycle Crash today..witness :(

Old 06-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Horrible Motorcycle Crash today..witness :(

My wife and I drove by seconds afterwards....

basically... a FJR Yamaha with a middle-late aged man and middle aged female both wearing only helmets (old crappy ones at that) hit the rear of a truck while splitting lanes.

When I pulled our jeep to a stop and jumped over the middle divider I looked and saw the rider contorted into a crazy position in the bed of the pickup truck, He was clearly D.O.A. A nurse happend to drive by and began administering CPR to the woman who wasn't breathing but did hold a pulse through the whole thing. She had major head trauma as the helmet showed damage and her eyes showed signs of major frontal impact. I examined the helmet, surprisingly the EPS liner (foam core) wasn't compressed incredibly far, a good sign in general. She had deep lacerations on both ankles that were splling into the road, she was puking up some blood causing the person helping her to vomit a bit since I'm sure with only a rubber glove as a barrier he ended up with her blood in his mouth. She seemed to have broken ribs judging by the ammount that her chest moved inwards. Her shirt was ripped off and the crotch of her pants ripped out. A horrible scene....very humbling. The FJR was on fire at one point and was completely destroyed. The rear bumper of the Ford truck was HAMMERED. They hit pretty hard nobody bothered to examine her....husband? He was a mess to say the least and not worth examinging IMO. I made a quick glance and that was case closed.

There wasn't much I could do....we all felt helpless. The best we could do was stop the traffic by walking out so the fire trucks could get close quickly since stupid drivers still just wanted to get by and weren't moving.

Horrible I think the girl may live assuming she doesn't die of internal bleeding. She may or may not have brain damage though, her whole face was pretty swollen.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:03 PM

in the bed of the truck is the man still in the photo just below the rear window where he was catapulted to.

The pic of the woman shows 2 cases of nudity so I wont' post those but...she looked to be in pretty bad shape overall.... no telling what internal injuries are present and those will be the main issues in this case.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:06 PM

Ride safe, spliting lanes FTL

THIS is why I'm such a nutcase when people post things about motorcycles on here. This is why I'm such a safety advocate all the time.

DONT WEAR CHEAP HELMETS OR ANY HELMET THAT IS MORE THEN 5 YEARS OLD. This woman's life may or lack of will depend on her helmet. Money well spent.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG.....................

Sorry you had to witness that, but you did the right thing by helping and doing whatever you could.........

Old 06-27-2008, 06:09 PM

in your opinion was it the bike rider's fault or the vehicle's?

I hate seeing this stuff especially as i'm looking for a bike right now too.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Jun 27 2008, 07:06 PM
Ride safe, spliting lanes FTL

THIS is why I'm such a nutcase when people post things about motorcycles on here. This is why I'm such a safety advocate all the time.

DONT WEAR CHEAP HELMETS OR ANY HELMET THAT IS MORE THEN 5 YEARS OLD. This woman's life may or lack of will depend on her helmet. Money well spent.
Your first sentence took the words out of my mouth.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:10 PM

nvm....i completely skimmed over the splitting lanes part of the story. Looks like a serious rider's error.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hero,Jun 27 2008, 07:10 PM
nvm....i completely skimmed over the splitting lanes part of the story. Looks like a serious rider's error.
Even on local streets, I only split lanes if everyone is at a red light and I can move to the front safely..........

NEVER on a freeway...........
Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm thinking his cervical snapped.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,Jun 27 2008, 07:13 PM
I'm thinking his cervical snapped.
Sometimes it's just obvious....

Quick Reply: Horrible Motorcycle Crash today..witness :(