California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

help me make my wireless lan secure

Old 08-22-2003, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me make my wireless lan secure

ok, i got my linksys router, cable modem, desktop, and laptop all hooked up. they both work fine. my problem is, i want wireless access only to me. i have heard people can gain access to my network through a wireless connection.

i have the desktop wired to the the router. i have the laptop wireless.
im putting together another computer tomorrow with a wireless usb adapter so total i will have 2 wireless and 1 ethernet connection.

will having a wep password do just fine or will i need more than that?

thanks guys for any input.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:41 PM

According to Linksys user manual, here's what you can do in addition to WEP:
Old 08-23-2003, 09:59 AM

cool beans! thanks for the help. i will do all those.

so far ive changed the ssid from the default and i will also change the wep key regularly. i have also done the mac filtering.

i do have one more question. if you dont broadcast ssid, will i still be able to connect? will it not show up when i go to search for networks available but it is still there as long as i know the settings.

hopefully my question makes sense. thanks.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using XP?

If so, you need to click the advanced button on your wireless network properties. Change it from connect to any avail network to connect to [something] (infrastructure) network. Something like that. I'm not in front of XP right now but it should be the middle bullet.

Then you need to manually add the preferred network you want. Put your SSID, WEP keys, etc.. there.

You should really look into WPA firmware upgrades in the near future. You will probably have to upgrade the wireless client's as well.

If you need further help just ask. I used to work there. (Linkshit, oops I mean Linksys).

Oh yeah, I pretty much memorized the WEB GUI.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:17 AM

it seems like my network adapter card software did all the settings on the wireless network properties on its own when i set my network up.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:16 PM

It's easiest to get things working first before adding security. When you have the third computer, turn off the security features, add the client, then re-enabling all the security features.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:32 AM

With any access point running WEP or shared key or open authentication - heck, even MAC address filtering.... your network is about as secure as someone sniffing your network. Even running WEP will provide enough security for about a day or two if your wireless network is used quite a bit.

There are ways to secure a wireless network - however, this is achieved with a feature called 802.1x. From there LEAP and PEAP is available for authentication that is secure with a user and password.

I setup a rather large wireless network for a hospital in Orange County recently.

regards

Rick
Old 08-24-2003, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by p996tt2k
[B]With any access point running WEP or shared key or open authentication - heck, even MAC address filtering.... your network is about as secure as someone sniffing your network. Even running WEP will provide enough security for about a day or two if your wireless network is used quite a bit.
True. But it should take actually about a week or more to break the WEP key if you use the maximum amount of characters for your WEP key and the WEP key is random numbers and letters. Here's a link to a random WEP key generator. http://www.andrewscompanies.com/tools/wep.asp

There are ways to secure a wireless network - however, this is achieved with a feature called 802.1x. From there LEAP and PEAP is available for authentication that is secure with a user and password.
Linksys does not support LEAP and PEAP. 802.1x authenication is available however.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:48 AM

Guys,

Sleepy is only setting up a home network with a maximum of 2 wireless clients. Unless he is messing with some pros, why would anyone want to hack his network? The minimum air traffic would also offer less packets for the sniffers. While Sleepy should know that his network is NOT hack proof, we shouldn't scare him off the air neither, right?
Old 08-24-2003, 10:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RedHead
[B]Guys,

Sleepy is only setting up a home network with a maximum of 2 wireless clients.

Quick Reply: help me make my wireless lan secure