California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Help with DIY Differential fluid change.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i didn't replace my washers..although i will eventually.

i bought a plastic tube thingie from pep boys for $5 to squeeze the fluid into the diff. it screws right into the bottle. worked great for me.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off you can't get a torque wrench on the fill bolt. This one is also on the side, so you are probably safe flipping this one. The drain plug you can torque so replace this one.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reuse and keep same orientation. No good reason, this is just how I do it.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Banned

Thank yo guys for your help. I will be going to a Honda dealer tomorrow for the washer. Anybody know the part #?

And for the member who linked a floorjack, I wil be going to Costco and buying an aluminum dual piston Arcan jack which is pretty low profile. I went to Universal Tire the other week (which is where member Beb got her tires mounted) and they were attesting to the great reliability of the jack since they have two of them in the shop.

For $150 its not bad.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have both the Costco and HF jack. Costco is much better.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Banned

I need help!!!!

Can somebody tell me if the pump below is suitable for transfering fluid to the diff?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=37739
Old 08-15-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trivium,Aug 15 2006, 03:29 PM
I need help!!!!

Can somebody tell me if the pump below is suitable for transfering fluid to the diff?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=37739
That thing looks pretty crazy. Just go to Autozone/Pep Boys and look for a pump sold by Valvoline. Basically it looks like a hand pump on top of your soft soap. Just a hard tube that extends down into the bottle.....a pump that screws onto the top....and a flexible tube that you route into the fill hole. (I'll go find a pic in a second). Costs about $5.

The part # for the drain washer (on the bottom) is #90401-PCZ-003

-Hockey
Old 08-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Hockey,Aug 15 2006, 04:24 PM] That thing looks pretty crazy.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey hockey, does that hand soap pump work well? it seems like it would take a long time

trivium, that habor frieght tool thing probably wont work without constant pumping, since the diff is gonna be higher than the bottle you're feeding it from. also, i've reused the drain bolt washer 3 times, still no issues at all. Most if not all dealers will stock this anyway.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by r_duff,Aug 15 2006, 05:34 PM
hey hockey, does that hand soap pump work well? it seems like it would take a long time

trivium, that habor frieght tool thing probably wont work without constant pumping, since the diff is gonna be higher than the bottle you're feeding it from. also, i've reused the drain bolt washer 3 times, still no issues at all. Most if not all dealers will stock this anyway.
Oh yeah....it works fine. I've serviced dozens of cars using that thing and @ $5 each, I have one for tranny fluid and another for diff fluid. They hold up pretty weel, but eventually crack near the top of the pump handle part.......but this is after ALOT of use and I think they are well worth it.

It IS a workout though. I think its about 75 pumps per quart!! No joke. A nice forearm workout as you as on your back under the car. I have to switch hands because the blood tends to rush out after about half way thru the bottle. Consider a good substitue for going to the gym that day.

Last time I tried a different pump from Autozone because they were out of the soap pump. It is basically a huge syringe with a flexible hose on the ens. Stick the hose in the full bottle and draw back the syringe (just like a shot of medicine). Put the hose in the fill hole and push the handle back down. It works pretty well, takes about three pumps to get a quart in, and costs about twice as much. It is made a bit better and probably won't fail for a long time. I find it is a little more messy since the other pump actually screws to the bottle top. Your call I guess. It depends on whats on the shelf at the time. No pic - sorry.

AND

Trivium.....it will fit on the 607, but you'll see that the rigid tube that sticks into the bottle is gonna be too long. I just cram it down anyway and thread it as best I can. The pump is IDEAL for the taller botles (like Mobil1 75w90 gear oil). You can cut the intake tube of the pump down.....but then you won't be able to reach the bottom of the taller bottles.

-Hockey

Quick Reply: Help with DIY Differential fluid change.