California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

helmet for autox and track

Old 03-25-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys for the input... i was waiting for advice like that.... i knew there were issues that i was not able to see....

sigh... i guess ill hold off...
Old 03-25-2009, 09:40 PM
beb

Originally Posted by 1036AP2,Mar 25 2009, 10:26 PM
so in your opinion, if it has been dropped, the helmet is basically useless?
can you please elaborate as i am new to this field...
Helmets are made to take one big impact in hopes of saving your life.

Its a thin shell with hard foam that is attached by adhesive. If your helmet is dropped or banged against something, you may have cracked the adhesive and may have degraded the structural integrity of the helmet. Some manufacturers will inspect it for you at a fee, meaning you send it in and they will pull it apart and reglue everything together if there isnt too much damage...

Be careful with your helmets!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:46 PM

question, i guess i can understand the concern for helmets when you are riding a motorcycle due to falling on the floor/street/road...

but when you are in the car, is that much protection really needed?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1036AP2,Mar 25 2009, 09:40 PM
thanks guys for the input... i was waiting for advice like that.... i knew there were issues that i was not able to see....

sigh... i guess ill hold off...
go to the store and try them out!

my buddy's $400 lid is significantly lighter than mine, after using them day in and day out i wish i shell out more for a better "fitting" helmet.

it's not as bad when you ride but still, there's tons of different fitment even they are same size, go try it in the store, walk around with it for 10 minute make sure you don't feel dizzy

i guess it's a personal thing too, i hate to wear someone else's helmet(or know someone used it)

they make cool room/office hero also: most girl would come by the pad and start talking about car and track driving, etc

next thing you know....well...nevermind
Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I work for a Helmet manufacture and it's me that handles the inspections for our entire company (U.S. only) ......

I'll try to avoid the long post.

DOT = useless rating system. SNELL is the only thing worth a damn.

A bit of info on DROPPED HELMETS. An empty helmet hitting the ground is typically no big deal. When something is INSIDE that's when its a problem because the EPS (foam) is crushed by the weight of a skull. You just need to make sure the shell is intact visually and your pretty much fine IN GENERAL.

SNELL site quoted above is great!!!! M helmet is better IMO unless you're running a roll bar in front of you or your worried about fire. Otherwise M = wider viewing area and therefor safer IMO.

Fiberglass doesn't handle these drops AS WELL as polycarbonate however it's my non-professional belief (for legal reasons) that fiberglass due to the fact that it does crush on impact is much much safer.

When you send us a helmet for inspection for an ICON/Suzuki Gsxr/Suzuki Hayabusa /Polaris/ Xpeed it is ME that does the final check. If you want Tech info I'm willing to elaborate on any part of it.

My hands touched 10,603 Icon Brand helmets in the last 3 weeks.

AFTER 5-7 YEARS YOUR HELMET IS UNSAFE OR IF IT HAS HAD A 10-MPH OR MORE IMPACT WITH YOUR HEAD IN IT!!!!

-Greg
Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1036AP2,Mar 25 2009, 09:46 PM
question, i guess i can understand the concern for helmets when you are riding a motorcycle due to falling on the floor/street/road...

but when you are in the car, is that much protection really needed?
generally there's 2 ways lid are built: one being they design to break up, the other being they don't, there still no conclusive way to say what's best for what.

car flip on track all the time, older compact just crush up like soda can if you run out of talent at the wrong time.

it's even worse if you have a roll cage, most people riding with cusco cage on the street without helmet is way more dangerous than driving without one

most people never get to test out the theory but again it's the chance thing, i am sure your wife/husband will hate to see something happen to you
Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 AM

i dont like buying used, makes me think about how much they have sweat inside the helmet
Old 03-26-2009, 09:12 AM

^ Nearly all half way decent brands can be washed.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:53 AM

for $15-30, its totally worth it.

if youre using it for autox and track days, youre totally fine with it.

if i needed a helmet for motorcycle use, then id be more concerned over the the integrity of the shell, if its been dropped or whatnot.

the difference being the increased likelihood of actually needing the helmet to save your head, over being strapped into a car and surrounded by plastic and the MINUSCULE likelihood of ever being in a crash on a autox course. track event, a little more likely, but then again, youre strapped into the car and not flying over handlebars and hitting pavement.

but hey, if $200 is worth your peace of mind, go for it. some ppl will need to spend $1000 to satisfy their peace of mind. it doesnt mean its offering any more protection (probably is, but the point is that its not quantifiable).
Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 PM

100%

Never will be quantifiable because that being done by a manufacture is a lawsuit in and of itself.

I would say a cheap Snell approved helmet of any kind is probably fine for your uses because of the reasons stated above.

-Greg