California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Hardtop Window Install Recommendations?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardtop Window Install Recommendations?

Hey guys, my hardtop window recently flew off on the freeway when going over a bump. I got a new one and am looking for a place to install my window properly. It's glass if that matters. Any recommendations? Preferably a place that has done it before.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depending on where you are, DTM autobody is pretty good. They specialize in s2k's. Look for Jackson, he's the man to talk to. I installed the window myself and I think I did a pretty good job.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by smokinpeanuts
depending on where you are, DTM autobody is pretty good. They specialize in s2k's. Look for Jackson, he's the man to talk to. I installed the window myself and I think I did a pretty good job.
I thought about doing it myself but I'm afraid of messing up. What glue and primer did you use? I haven't really figured out how the seal goes in either.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the silicone/glue I would get 3M Window Weld.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by wisdom
As far as the silicone/glue I would get 3M Window Weld.
AGREED! I used something like that. The glue was black.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:20 PM

I have an appointment at DTM autobody. I don't trust myself doing it haha. These windows aren't cheap...
Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WWhere are you located? I have a mobile window guy I use. He does all my Windows. Where did you get your top from?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:16 PM

I'd go with whatever rockstar recommends he knows his tops. But after seeing how easy it was to apply I wish I did it myself lol
Old 03-18-2012, 12:27 PM

I'm in Pomona area. I got the top from VIS. Everything is installed. Jackson was telling me that my window is different than normal. The window ended up being a tiny bit too big so they had to hammer fist the top of the window to get in the frame. I also noticed that on one side the cut wasn't perfectly rounded AND it looked like two windows put together. Either way it still looks fine, I just hope the window won't ever fall out again. How long would you guys wait for the glue to dry before it can be driven in the rain?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not trying to knock any company.. but ive seen a lot of ill fitting windows in the aftermarket world. some companies or retailers are using really really cheap stuff. i had one guy buy a window from me because he wanted a tinted window... when he saw my window he was shocked at how thick it was.. i didnt understand. when i saw his window.. it was paper thin clear plastic. his top was a VIS model but I am not sure where he got the hardware kit from..

there are a few different hardware kits on the market.. i suggest you all do your homework on this. most of the frp tops are pretty much the same in quality and fitment. its the hardware that really makes the difference. and for the record.. i supply lots of track s2000s with hardtops.. we drive fast, side windows down and lots of pressure pushing on the inside of the window.. i have yet to have a customer complain about losing a window while using my products.

Quick Reply: Hardtop Window Install Recommendations?