California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Harbor Freight $59 jack?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The noises go away if you grease the metal piston plunger thing. Just look for the part that "plunges" and put some grease on it. Also make sure the front wheel thats more like a metal barrel rolls freely.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 PM

get craftsman... they dropped the price to 60 bucks recently and it works jus fine for our cars. its what i use. I bought one tool from harbor freight and it failed after i used it one time.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Milc,Feb 2 2010, 11:31 PM
get craftsman... they dropped the price to 60 bucks recently and it works jus fine for our cars. its what i use. I bought one tool from harbor freight and it failed after i used it one time.
do not get the 60 craftsman ones... those are fail.. sorry milc.. but they are.

i have this one..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=47246

but this is my next racing jack.. sits a little lower. lifts a little higher and holds heavier weight for only 30 more..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=92782

theres another full size, heavy jack i cant find on the website but its in the store.. i picked up the same one from napa for a friend for 300+. it was under 200 at HF.. if you can have a heavy jack as your primary then i would just get that one.. i have to have a few jacks for that crap i do. heavy jacks are nice for bigger cars. cant use the smaller lighter racing ones for trucks or anything.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

when you guys say fail, are we talking within 1 year or what time frame?

i've used cheaper jacks that have lasted 3-5 years...

which to me is totally fine.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:11 AM

my friend had that blue one from harbor freight... It started to leak slowly and car would come down slowly after about 6 months..

Dre
Old 02-03-2010, 04:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Feb 3 2010, 01:54 AM
when you guys say fail, are we talking within 1 year or what time frame?

i've used cheaper jacks that have lasted 3-5 years...

which to me is totally fine.
but how often you use it?

i work on cars all the time, after breaking number of cheap jacks i opted for craftsman's.

it was around 100 buck(extra height/extra capacity), got it 4 years ago and still running strong. annual oil change and that was it
Old 02-03-2010, 07:30 AM

I have the Harbor Freight $59 jack and it works fine so far. Had it for 3-4 months. For what it is it works great but if you can find a jack at Costco that goes for $100 that one is better IMO. I bought this cause i couldn't find any at costco at the time. I only paid $47 for the harbor freight jack. On sale for $59 + 20% coupon
Old 02-03-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i looked for the costco jack yesterday at my local store, but didn't find one. will try another store today.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM

the costco jack, rig red(small blue one), harbor freight jackk are all the SAME..

my brother picked up the Big red (small one) and i used it one time on a slope straining the thing and it started to leak.. returned it next day..

the fact is..if ur on a flat surface and treating the jack properly the jack will last. just like anything, if you take care of it, itll take care of u haha..

MOST places that sell jacks get them made from the same place. they are just rebadged and sold at various prices. Harbor freight is basically a warehouse style tool store where u get the name brand stuff without the label for cheaper. just because its from costco doesnt mean its necessarily cheaper.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the s2k dude,Feb 3 2010, 12:07 PM
the costco jack, rig red(small blue one), harbor freight jackk are all the SAME..

my brother picked up the Big red (small one) and i used it one time on a slope straining the thing and it started to leak.. returned it next day..

the fact is..if ur on a flat surface and treating the jack properly the jack will last. just like anything, if you take care of it, itll take care of u haha..

MOST places that sell jacks get them made from the same place. they are just rebadged and sold at various prices. Harbor freight is basically a warehouse style tool store where u get the name brand stuff without the label for cheaper. just because its from costco doesnt mean its necessarily cheaper.
I have the Costco one. It's been working well. If it breaks, I'll return it and get a new one. That's the main reason why I bought it. "Lifetime warranty."

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight $59 jack?