California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

GTR

Old 08-18-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cvjoint,Aug 18 2010, 03:32 PM
IMO pretty typical consumerist approach. Sadly this is very prevalent in the U.S. society, the more you spend the better you feel about yourself and your purchase. Some of you probably bought the S2000 to stand out in the crowd, 2 seater, convertible. Some of us buy it for the joy of driving, the soft top and 2 seater format held me back for many years.

The performance category is being split into two big camps. At the top of one the Veyron and at the other the McLaren F1. These are about as different as the subcompact segment and the luxury GT. I would choose a much lower performance car in the F1 segment over the Veyron, I hardly think a car that drives itself is that much fun, and certainly not one that weighs as much as a van.

I think the op is tending more and more towards the Veyron camp, and that's ok. There's no need for personal bashing. We can all have different taste and I think you guys should be perfectly fine with some of us holding the S2000 higher on our list than the GTR. You can't spend any amount of money to change that.
We can have all different tastes but if you spend money on a GTR then you are just spending more money to feel better about your purchase right?

Sadly, if most people can't feel good about themselves unless they spend more money.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cvjoint,Aug 18 2010, 02:32 PM
Sadly this is very prevalent in the U.S. society, the more you spend the better you feel about yourself and your purchase.
+ we just love looking into other people's business and harassing them and bothering them about what we think is better for them.
psychologically, mostly, because we were raised that way and were always told what to do even to this very day.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vilstar,Aug 18 2010, 08:43 AM
I hope it does, doesn't sound like your choice in cars is getting any cheaper
haha.. nah nah i was lucky enough to be able to afford the car i have always wanted... my first choice was the GT3 RS but my other half does not approve of it.... so im SOL right there haha... although it is not practical to buy the GT3 RS if your not making millions or couple hundreds a year... since i dont make hundreds of thousand a year i have to settle for a GTR which i think i will be happy with it.

7 years ago this was just all a dream (shit its like that song way back) haha.. and i guess working my ass off and focus on one thing will really get you there.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by OC S2K,Aug 18 2010, 02:36 PM
We can have all different tastes but if you spend money on a GTR then you are just spending more money to feel better about your purchase right?

Sadly, if most people can't feel good about themselves unless they spend more money.
I never commented on the GTR's ability to give you bang/buck, I was mostly commenting on what kind of "bang" so to say it is. You made it seem like I am talking nonsense because I can't afford a GTR. Someone else commented on how buying a 60k+ car is strictly superior to an S2000. Both comments seem quite out of line because there are very few pure driver choices at a high price tag. If you enjoy a car that is tossable, requires lots of driver input and keeps your sensors glued to the ground you may find there isn't much to chose from despite having a higher budget. You many spend more and get a car that is less rewarding depending on what kind of a driver you are.

The 911 is a perfect example. Given this is Porsche's bread and butter they make it in a dozen or so trim levels. The GT3 is the spartan relative of the 911Turbo. The softer turbo version may in fact be faster in most scenarios but it doesn't have the visceral impact of the GT3.

Sometimes spending less and making a more informed decision will lead to better decision making. I say save and keep pushing for the GT3RS, the GTR is not as rewarding if that's the kind of car you are looking at, if the GTR feels at home than the 911 Turbo would be a better choice than the RS.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by krnmike,Aug 18 2010, 02:41 PM
+ we just love looking into other people's business and harassing them and bothering them about what we think is better for them.
psychologically, mostly, because we were raised that way and were always told what to do even to this very day.
I plead guilty on that one