California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Ground Control Kit

Old 07-29-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 400 / 375 on stock ap1 shocks.

i like my ride. no, the stock shocks have not worn out. ppl who say otherwise are used to stock integra or civic shocks. s2000 are not built like them. theyre much better. apples and oranges.

its not perfect, its not great. but it works, its not horrible.

i have it lowered .5" all around. i tried out using 250 rear springs and found it excessively too low of a spring rate. i wouldnt use 275's in the rear.

im not thru with playing around with the spring rates. thats why i like my GC setup, i can do whatever i want.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by S2Koupe,Jul 29 2007, 03:58 PM
i have 400 / 375 on stock ap1 shocks.

i like my ride. no, the stock shocks have not worn out. ppl who say otherwise are used to stock integra or civic shocks. s2000 are not built like them. theyre much better. apples and oranges.

its not perfect, its not great. but it works, its not horrible.

i have it lowered .5" all around. i tried out using 250 rear springs and found it excessively too low of a spring rate. i wouldnt use 275's in the rear.

im not thru with playing around with the spring rates. thats why i like my GC setup, i can do whatever i want.
Im just scared if i buy the GC and use it with my stock shocks that it will blow out on me. Also i dont want my handling to get worse.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:14 PM

shrug. i dunno what sprign rates GC gives. i used my old kit with my own assortment of springs i already have and bought seperately. then i got a free set of shocks from another s2ki member. i had to put together the rest of the parts. so it really hasnt cost me much to play with. and i have my old shocks and springs still together, ready to put on whenever i want.

im just giving you a boost of confidence that if you dont overspring the shocks, and its more than what most ppl would think, and dont slam your car, youll be alright.

i like being able to play with my ride height. play with my spring rates. anything i want. thats why its better than just getting a regular spring kit.

of course you need to know that when you change your ride height, you MUST get your car aligned. i can do it myself for the most part, as well as a lifetime alignment dea lat firestone, so im ok with that. so just keep that in mind.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by S2Koupe,Jul 29 2007, 04:14 PM
shrug. i dunno what sprign rates GC gives. i used my old kit with my own assortment of springs i already have and bought seperately. then i got a free set of shocks from another s2ki member. i had to put together the rest of the parts. so it really hasnt cost me much to play with. and i have my old shocks and springs still together, ready to put on whenever i want.

im just giving you a boost of confidence that if you dont overspring the shocks, and its more than what most ppl would think, and dont slam your car, youll be alright.

i like being able to play with my ride height. play with my spring rates. anything i want. thats why its better than just getting a regular spring kit.

of course you need to know that when you change your ride height, you MUST get your car aligned. i can do it myself for the most part, as well as a lifetime alignment dea lat firestone, so im ok with that. so just keep that in mind.
Well i wana slam my car and i guess the spring rate is 325/275 which i have no idea mean.

Im soo lost
Old 07-29-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh wow. ..... people do realize that most lowering is bad.... even mine on tein flex w/edfc i sometimes debate if stock is better.

one thing i might add is: while people use a softer rate in rear do induce understeer and make the car more drivable, rmeember that too soft in the rear means it will bounce and bottom thus creating massive and unsafe oversteer. this can happen fairly easily when your on the gas hard making the rear end squat and you hit a bump as well....jsut somethin to keep in mind.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:33 PM

Still lost. Just tell me if i should get it or not.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Jul 29 2007, 04:26 PM
oh wow. ..... people do realize that most lowering is bad.... even mine on tein flex w/edfc i sometimes debate if stock is better.

one thing i might add is: while people use a softer rate in rear do induce understeer and make the car more drivable, rmeember that too soft in the rear means it will bounce and bottom thus creating massive and unsafe oversteer.....jsut somethin to keep in mind.
most people in the track forum will bash almost 90 percent of modification, i can see why tho', it's not aftermarket is junk is just oem honda is so well develop functional wise.

of course, everyone loves a slammed car apperance wise, but there's a huge compromise to pay. spring rate, roll center, axle geometry, suspension travel, etc

a race car like cwest is slammed to the ground but it's probably rocking ten of thousand dollar worth of hardware and MUCH MUCH more R&D and suspension set up. plus, japanese track is mirror smooth, you will always get a bad comment from japanese race car driver on us track. the willow spring are like the moon for those guy from the pacific. yeah, it serve little purpose on the street functional wise.

you are right about the the baised, i think honda pull the rate ratio since alot of people complaint about too much oversteer, even some called snap oversteer.
i think origninally honda set it up for a mid/small size circuit, which can use alot of oversteer. again, it's a compromise i think honda made, just by looking at the suspension and gearing of the car.(that's my opinon)
Old 07-29-2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by S2Koupe,Jul 29 2007, 04:14 PM

good point, but what i am saying is it's not how long the hardware will last but it's not designed to run with the GC's rate.

you can have an excellent spring/sleeve over set up but it's only going to do so much if the dampering is set up for it. there's some factory damper that can do this, but most of the honda damper will not. I never ride in a GC stock set up so I CANNOT say this for sure. It may or it may not. but if it's anything like most honda damper, paring it with GC will seriously overwork the damper. in a nutshell, one of the main function of the damper is to control the spring cycle.(for example a car with no damper/too stiff spring rate not even damper will bounce up and down for a while before it will return to normal level after hitting a bump)

again, i can't say EXACTLY what will happen since i don't have first person experience but if you ask me i would just skip this all at once. eibach prokit is only slighter stiffer than stock, it's around 50-80 lb/inch more depends on the year of your car. but the only FATAL fault of the prokit is the fact that it's a rear baised setup(they might r&D it when ap1 came out and never bother to update it)

sorry, no R/F answer here
Old 07-29-2007, 04:44 PM

Well i of course want the slammed look. I will most likely never head out to the track but i live up in the hills so for sure once in a while i will be speeding not racing in the hills just to make me feel like a race car driver for about 1 minute

All i know is my old buddy clubs would give out soo easley in turns. Would the GC with stock shocks handle better then buddy club N+ or would the N+ be a better choice?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:46 PM

BTW, if you are looking for the best deal i think honda-tech.com can get you a set for 325 or 315 for most honda application.

koni is a hair short of 400 i think, but you might want to get both used, since gc has million miles warranty and koni is rebuildable and totally customizable.

great set up for track guys

Quick Reply: Ground Control Kit