California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

GPS ON WINDSHIELD

Old 08-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GPS ON WINDSHIELD

so anyways i received an email from my iphone news. and its a first time that ive heard, its illegal to mount a gps, radar ect mounting on the windshield. So MY QUESTION

BTW ITS A $108 DOLLARS TICKET.

1. is it ok to mount my radar detector on the dash this would be in the middle center corner by the wiper.

2. is it ok to mount 3 gauges in the driver pillar and on top of the AC button "dash" (like tommy's set up. apparently its illegal or is it.

GOT THIS FROM A DMV WEBSITE:

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View
26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Rearview mirrors.

(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.

(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

(4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.

(5) Direction, destination, or termini signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle or a schoolbus, if those signs do not interfere with the driver's clear view of approaching traffic.

(6) Rear window wiper motor.

(7) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges.

(8) The rear window or windows, when the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(9) A clear, transparent lens affixed to the side window opposite the driver on a vehicle greater than 80 inches in width and which occupies an area not exceeding 50 square inches of the lowest corner toward the rear of that window and which provides the driver with a wide-angle view through the lens.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dash mount is fine
Old 08-07-2008, 02:19 PM

I find that the Garmin Nuvi works fine if you toss it right in front of the radio door; although, it's dangerous taking your eyes off the road.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had cops warn friends of mine that other officers will cite them for things hanging from their rear view mirror (even school parking passes)
Old 08-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

hey newbie

Old 08-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Community Organizer

You can get the mount at modifry.com
Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 PM

^^^ Where do you get that ball kit thingy?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Bert05GPW,Aug 7 2008, 03:25 PM
^^^ Where do you get that ball kit thingy?
modifry.com

he's an s2k.com sponsor.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,Aug 7 2008, 02:25 PM
modifry.com

he's an s2k.com sponsor.
O I C now. Very nice. Ordering now. Seriously. No one ever believes me.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Bert05GPW,Aug 7 2008, 03:27 PM
O I C now. Very nice. Ordering now. Seriously. No one ever believes me.
You need to order the LONG plate and NUVI ball. They are sold separately.

Don't just get that bar only.... the nuvi ball is a separate item.

Quick Reply: GPS ON WINDSHIELD