California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Got a Ticket Today

Old 05-28-2004, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh, got a ticket today, 74 in a 40.

Some kind of blue sport truck was being all aggressive behind me for several blocks on Torrance Blvd, so when the light changed I took off and left him in the dust. When I rounded the curve approaching Prospect, he triggered my Valentine 1 with Instant-On, I stomped the brakes and slowed down to the speed limit. I never saw him, made a right onto Prospect at the next intersection, and had just gotten to where I could make a left turn when I saw him round the corner behind me. If I had just kept up my speed I think I could have made that left before the Cycle Cop hit Prospect and lost him before he even turned on the flashy lights.

I have a stock exhaust, but the cop said he heard me long before he saw me and that I was really winding it out (that's what 9k sounds like, right?). He was relatively freindly, saying how much he liked my car, but didn't give me a break on the speed at all. I thought about asking to see the speed on the gun but didn't want to give him a reason to check the front of my car and ticket me for no front plate.

So naturally I am looking for a way out, a technicality etc. He wrote the car up as an '02 instead of an '03, but I don't suppose that minor inaccuracy is enough to invalidate it. He also was in Redondo by the time he turned on his flashy lights, but I guess he can still pull me over in another town. I know there are some performance issues around Instant-On Ka band, anybody know what they use in Torrance? It says 7712 in the Radar/Laser field, don't know if that is a model number.

If not, anyone know if I am still eligible for Traffic School at this speed? Haven't had to do that since '97.

JD
Old 05-28-2004, 11:27 PM

sucks man, I have been in Torrance a lot but never speeded. I did not know what the Torrance cops are like so I never took a chance. Hope everything works out and I look forward to hanging with you again. The Palos Verdes run was good fun.

Ryan
Old 05-29-2004, 02:37 AM

sorrie to hear.. i just got a speedin ticket last night doing 80 in a 65 freeway zone.. and i was just cruising.. not racing.. just cruising.. and all of a sudden.. bam.. cop is all over me.. but was a very nice cop.. had a lil chit chat.. asked me how fast i was going.. i told him i had no idea.. i was tired and just remained constant speed.. wrote me up for 80.. told me i was speeding.. and was on his way.. 2nd ticket in the 2nd week.. sucks..

anyways.. to answer some of ur question.. yes.. they can pull u over as long as u made the violation in the city.. the cop from that city.. can pull u over up to 2 miles from that city.. after 2 miles.. ur home free..

traffic school can be done.. but this is a 2 point ticket.. a 1 point speeding ticket is.. 20 mph or under.. u said u were in a 40 mph zone.. to let it remain as a 1 point ticket.. u have to be doing 60 mph and under.. anything 20 mph and over.. is ALWAYS a 2 point ticket.. how much? i dont know.. but it can get from a decent bail to ridiculous bail.. so even if u did do traffic school.. u will still have 1 point on ur license.. in some cases.. u can request for 2nd offenders traffic school.. to eliminate both points..
Old 05-29-2004, 11:38 AM

sucks dude. traffic school is a good thing if you havent done it yet.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:45 AM
SSK

Sorry JD...

I believe this type of speeding ticket (+34) is a mandatory court appearance for arraignment, where you enter your plea. If you don't get tickets very often, traffic school is usually the least risky alternative to avoid hikes in your insurance. If you want to fight it, you should check out Nolo Press's Fight Your Ticket, and/or the online TicketAssassin services.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SSK
Sorry JD...

I believe this type of speeding ticket (+34) is a mandatory court appearance for arraignment, where you enter your plea.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:14 AM
SSK

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oatnet