California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Got a speeding ticket...what are my options?

Old 02-17-2004, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be getting paperwork in the mail for the ticket. If you aren't going to contest it, I would just mail in the fine plus the fee for traffic school. All the paperwork will be included in what they send you. Once your payment is sent in, you will receive a letter saying that you can go to traffic school and either where to attend or if you can go to school online, it will state that also.

Albert
Old 02-17-2004, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool..so I guess its no biggie, huh?
Old 02-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO biggie if it's your first ticket. When you get the paperwork it will say you have the option for driving school. Online driving school is easier, but check local county/city rules. Usually there have to be special circumstances on if you are allowed to do online.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:24 PM

After going to court (cause I didn't have the traffic school option, last ticket was 17 months prior) I was amazed at how things went.

From now on I will always go to court.

There were so many cases where the officer sat down and stated having no clear recollection, case dismissed. Mine never showed up.

Bottom line is, were you memorable? Did you argue etc... best to keep the encounter as brief and polite as possible.

If so then delay the court date as long as possible, then go. Chances are he won't show, or will not have clear records.

Also go well dressed (Shirt & Tie) and have a well prepared story. If it's good enough and you conduct yourself intelligently, chances are that even if the worst happens and the cop shows and has clear notes. You can compromise at traffic school. Yeah I know, they say the option goes away once you try and fight it, but again I saw many instances where traffic school was given.

Be prepared for a laugh too, some of the folks that show up have not got a clue. Shorts and Tee shirts and excuses such as.. my car doesn't go that fast.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:24 PM
J.T

No biggie. You shouldn't even have to appear in court. They should send you a letter with the fine amount and traffic school info.

Send a check and opt. for traffic school. they'll send you a reciept and a list of traffic schools in your area.

Do traffic school online. If you know the basic traffic laws and rules all you have to do is click through the pages and answer the questions at the end of each chapter. simple as that.

and yes I've done this a few times.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:45 PM

phew...Ok, I got a confesion...its not my first ticket, but my first ticket in almost 4 years...The previous one had my license suspended for 2 weeks. Its been over 3 years now (that was in '99) and is cleared. Does this mean I'm still eligible?
Old 02-17-2004, 03:15 PM

yup..
Old 02-17-2004, 04:29 PM
J.T

your eligible 18 months after your last conviction date, so Yep
Old 02-17-2004, 04:59 PM

cool. Thanks guys.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Saint_Spinner
Thanks. I still have to make a court apperance first right? Other question is, am I eligble for traffic school? I think there is a 10mph max over the speed limit isn't there?
I believe you can take traffic school after 18 months from a prior conviction. No, there's no 10 mph law that I know of- I was able to take traffic school for 13 over. You only have to make a court appearance if it says so when you receive the paperwork- I never had to step into court and did everything by mail.

So, is there a line waiting for NSX rides?

Quick Reply: Got a speeding ticket...what are my options?