California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Five best weekend getaways from LA

Old 07-13-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Five best weekend getaways from LA

Hey guys, I'm trying to put together the five best weekend getaways from LA. Ideally, I'd like to find a fun, out of the way destination, a good "backroads" drive to get there and a different route back. Any scenic stops along the way would also be really helpful (historical sites, fruit picking orchards, whatever). The more specific you can be, the better.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:42 AM

ive always liked palm springs and solvang.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:46 AM

Thanks. Any help with routes to/from, where to stay, what to see along the way, etc would be great!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Former Moderator

santa barbara / vegas / san diego/la jolla / laguna beach
Old 07-13-2006, 11:49 AM

I went to Jalama St. Beach a couple weekends ago, it was pretty nice.

Drive up on PCH/101 from Los Angeles, and about 30 miles (or so) past Santa Barbara, there's a left turn for Jalama. From there you drive 14 miles on a scenic 2-lane windy road toward the coast, through trees and over hills. It culminates as you crest a hill and the beautiful Pacific Ocean is revealed finally.

The beach itself is relatively uncrowded, as there is limited parking and it is a bit of a drive. Don't expect any hotels or restaurants or gift shops. There is a small cafe for the campers, and public restrooms, etc. but that's it.

About 300 miles round trip from Los Angeles, allow for 2+ hours driving time to and from. Perfect for a one-day driving trip. Stop by downtown Santa Barbara for dinner on the way home, and enjoy the pedestrian friendly State St. Just steer clear of a little italian restaurant that I can't remember- horrible service .

Old 07-13-2006, 11:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was always considering making a "tour the speedtraps" route. It'd take about an hour or two, but you'd pass by every speedtrap in my local vicinity as well as every red-light camera.

It's sorta like birdwatching - you never know what speedtraps are manned, but the cameras are always there and eager for work.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we're lucky in california to have one of the best roads in the world. its a long trip but worth it. LA to Monterey via 101 and 1 in SLO.

good thread, keep it coming.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:26 PM

^^
Might be one of the best roads but certainly one of the worst drivers.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,Jul 13 2006, 12:49 PM
I went to Jalama St. Beach a couple weekends ago, it was pretty nice.

Drive up on PCH/101 from Los Angeles, and about 30 miles (or so) past Santa Barbara, there's a left turn for Jalama. From there you drive 14 miles on a scenic 2-lane windy road toward the coast, through trees and over hills. It culminates as you crest a hill and the beautiful Pacific Ocean is revealed finally.

The beach itself is relatively uncrowded, as there is limited parking and it is a bit of a drive. Don't expect any hotels or restaurants or gift shops. There is a small cafe for the campers, and public restrooms, etc. but that's it.

About 300 miles round trip from Los Angeles, allow for 2+ hours driving time to and from. Perfect for a one-day driving trip. Stop by downtown Santa Barbara for dinner on the way home, and enjoy the pedestrian friendly State St. Just steer clear of a little italian restaurant that I can't remember- horrible service .

Nate, is that up near Lompoc?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red flame,Jul 13 2006, 12:26 PM
^^
Might be one of the best roads but certainly one of the worst drivers.
what is that supposed to mean?

Quick Reply: Five best weekend getaways from LA