California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

First exhaust ticket ever. What happens now?

Old 10-21-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put on the oem exhaust, get the ticket signed off, and then put the Apex'i exhaust back on. No problem.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:00 PM

When i got my fix it ticket, i went to the CHP to get it signed off, but they told me that i had to go to a ref. and get a stamp. Soo.. im not sure if you can just get a cop to sign it w/o the stamp saying that its ok.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by boostedf23,Oct 21 2007, 09:00 PM
When i got my fix it ticket, i went to the CHP to get it signed off, but they told me that i had to go to a ref. and get a stamp. Soo.. im not sure if you can just get a cop to sign it w/o the stamp saying that its ok.
You have to go to the ref only if the fixit ticket is for a violation that is from the cat to the front. Back of the cat doesn't affect smog, so you don't have to go to the ref.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rasetsu99,Oct 21 2007, 09:34 PM
You have to go to the ref only if the fixit ticket is for a violation that is from the cat to the front. Back of the cat doesn't affect smog, so you don't have to go to the ref.
If the ticket you got is non correctable you will need to go to the ref, if its a fix it ticket you can probably just put the silencer in and get it signed off

If you go to the ref put the stock exhaust back on. You will not pass a visual with a modified exhaust. They will say the bends of the exhaust dont match the OEM unit and you will fail the visual.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:31 AM

What was the violation they wrote you up for? 99% of the time it is this:

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HAVE IT SIGNED OFF WITH THE CURRENT EXHAUST...... i didn't remove mine, same day i got the ticket, i saw a cop parked, i told him it wasn't loud, and i have straight pipes. He signed it off....done deal man.

oh for matchin stock bends? thats bullshit. If u get a REF its THEIR JOB to prove how its visually not ok. Stock bends don't mean shit. What matters is something like a straight pipe (lack of cat) like my car, however i use the stock shield over a test pipe so i still pass visual....well except for the turbocharger However that wasn't in the ticket for me . It is NOT illegal to modify exhaust in any state in the US. U can't do it to amplify sound of make the cars emissions worse but thats all.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Oct 23 2007, 06:56 AM
oh for matchin stock bends? thats bullshit. If u get a REF its THEIR JOB to prove how its visually not ok. Stock bends don't mean shit. What matters is something like a straight pipe (lack of cat) like my car, however i use the stock shield over a test pipe so i still pass visual....well except for the turbocharger However that wasn't in the ticket for me . It is NOT illegal to modify exhaust in any state in the US. U can't do it to amplify sound of make the cars emissions worse but thats all.
Have you ever been to a ref? Because the statement you made is not correct. The State Refs will Fail you for visual even when you pass emissions . They dont care if its BS they still do it .

The way they prove it is with a diagram of the OEM exhaust and the bends on the exhaust your running. The S2K has a dual exhaust stock, so if your running a single then you will most likely fail the visual (there may be some cooler refs than others but I have never encountered one)