California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

First exhaust ticket ever. What happens now?

Old 10-20-2007, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First exhaust ticket ever. What happens now?

I got a ticket for an exhaust. I have an Apexi N1 with a silencer on it when I was pulled over. I believe what caught the officer's attention was the induction sound from the CARB legal K&N intake, not the actual exhaust noise. What happened was I was heavy on the throttle from a stop (not racing anyone) and of course the car made lots of noise; however, I was not speeding and backed off before I reached the speed limit for the street.

Basically it sounded like I was doing 200 mph but the reality is I was under the speed limit going pretty slow thanks to no torque & power at low rpms....kinda lame to see a car make so much noise and not be accelerating that quick at all. The cop ticketed me for an "illegal" exhuast but didn't put anything down for speeding (no radar or pacing anyways). What's the best thing to do?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:23 AM

put your stock back on and go get your ticket signed off..

edit: thats only if the officer checked off correctable or something thing like that. If not then your SOL...
Old 10-20-2007, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the silencer in, most likely it will pass the dB limit. In that case, you can get an appointment at the special ref station and have them legalize your exhaust. They will do sound tests and if you pass, you get a special sticker from the state stating that your exhaust is legal. Then you can get the ticket fixed and just pay the $10 fee.

If you have it as an correctable offense, just put the stock back on and get it signed off at the pd.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to see if [] correctable or [] citation

If it is correctable... just go get it signed off. If it's a citation, pay the hefty price or get it ref'ed if you think it will pass.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:43 PM

You have to go the CHP to have the ticket signed off. They just did a visual check on mine. I went around lunch time, maybe thats why.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:22 PM

if its correctable, swap out and swing by the station for a check off, then pull the resonator out and woot
Old 10-20-2007, 10:38 PM

you guys were talking about getting an exhaust legalized. does anyone know the actual legal dbs an exhaust is allowed to have? where exactly does one get it tested?
Old 10-20-2007, 11:51 PM

The good ole "fix a ticket", you can either put hte stock one back on and get it signed or be like me and be lazy when I got my "tint" ticket for being too dark which it was I didn't want to remove my tint so I just paid the fine lol. but they said if I get ticketed again teh mine increases in time if i choose not to fix it...
Old 10-21-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got modified exhaust ticket already myself.....

do nothing, have a cop sign it off who seems like a cool guy...

pay 10 dollars in court.

done.

Did it myself I know a few officers if u need help.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:18 PM

If you don't want to remove the exhaust. Just do trial by decleration. Find the DB reading for any type of exhaust which is lower then the CA allowed DB level. Then write down all the info and put the DB level of the exhaust. And there you have it, you will get off. Make sure you write down that the officer did not do a DB reading.

You are innocent until proven guilty, and the only way you are guilty is if the officer has a DB reading. Since he doesn't you are innocent because the cop has no proof you are above the level.

For me, it's the principle of it all, so I fight everything. If you aren't like me, then just remove it or put the silencer like everyone else has said, and get it signed off.

Quick Reply: First exhaust ticket ever. What happens now?