Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Originally Posted by Kyushin' timestamp='1354299722' post='22181989
[quote name='jdmjunkie562' timestamp='1354252555' post='22180884']
[quote name='Squirtle' timestamp='1354247519' post='22180797']
lmfao @ 'you did the crime'
/>/>/>/>/>/>

/>/>/>/>/>/> Crime Time. I like how any law we break even a small or stupid one constitutes someone a criminal />/>/>/>/>/>

LOL so true, I just laugh at the ignorant boot licking tools who think this is a crime. Fact is that many of these smog laws have absolutely no relevance to real emission out put. Another fact is that diesel, and large trucks are not held to the same standards. Our car already certifies as a LEV and maybe even a ULEV, meeting and exceeding the carbon foot print levels. So therefore, even if a header contributes to absolutely no increased carbon emissions whatsoever, what would be the purpose of falsely labeling it as illegal? Just because ignorant politicians and agencies establish a law, does not always mean it serves the purpose as the kool aid claims to, do you know the hell a mfgr has to do in order to obtain that CARB sticker, its 99% $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and 1% emissions.

Even some of the big turbo guys do not contribute to even a fraction of the carbon emissions that a single Dually will produce, once again, its about extorting money for our already broke and corrupt government and the boot licking sheep think just because a law is enacted, that the law is moral and justified. If you believe that then I have some cheap beach property in Arizona for sale to go with those moral carb laws.

For the boot licking sheep that are still ready to climb on the soap box, CARB was originally enacted to help improve the air quality, reduce carbon emissions and help clean up the air. Laws written in accordance were supposed to contribute to and enforce reduced carbon emissions for the environment. Since CA saw that there was enormous revenue potential, they ended up playing the wolf in sheeps clothing in the name of extortion. There are CARB certified mods out there that will produce significantly MORE CO2 emissions than NON carb certified modifications.... so the only real factor there is $$$$$$$$$.

Even if one of us fail a tailpipe sniff, its sorta bullshit how a dually can fart out huge black smog clouds and still passs..... now whos the criminal hmmm?
[/quote]

wow this is quite a rant.

Not to perpetuate this turning into a government bashing debate, BUT have you gone through a CARB certification test? I have. And it's not that bad. I'm guessing most companies just don't get their parts CARB certified because:

1. They are cheap and/or lazy.
2. The part cannot pass no matter what (ie. removes emissions equipment completely, vents to the atmosphere, etc.)
3. The part actually cannot meet the emissions requirements.

Other than the above, it's actually not that complicated nor expensive--especially considering a CARB EO# will boost sales of the product.
[/quote]

Yes, a rather lengthly rant. I have no personal experience with obtaining a CARB certification, so my relay of the experience of the process is only second hand.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs' timestamp='1354284934' post='22181362
Agreed, but didnt feel like he had to submit it to the dmv. Lol I had to pay for it too, what a slap in the face. Lesson learned.
It's possible that once the test is started on the equipment, the system requires it be submitted. That equipment is locked down in a lot of ways so that it can't malfunction or be tampered with.

And as far as feeling like having to pay for the smog test was a slap in the face... the guy did the work. The fact that you modified your vehicle and it failed inspection because of it isn't his fault and he should not be penalized for it. Unless they advertise a "pass or don't pay policy," you can't reasonably expect a shop to use expensive equipment on your car, perform a service for you and not be paid for it. If you think about it, I'm sure you will realize that would be a seriously unfair expectation.
Nope, he can simply reset the machine and there would be no harm no foul. He did do the work but wouldn't it make sense to do a visual inspection before putting the car on the ramp? Seems like common sense to me. I have the visual fail slip here - emission and everything else passed.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 PM

I've owned 7 cars in the last 14 years. None of them have ever passed smog. I even made my CRZ Electric-Hybrid a gross polluter. Lmao
Old 11-30-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 204 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs
Nope, he can simply reset the machine and there would be no harm no foul. He did do the work but wouldn't it make sense to do a visual inspection before putting the car on the ramp? Seems like common sense to me. I have the visual fail slip here - emission and everything else passed.
Well, like you said earlier -- lesson learned.

I think BC had the best suggestion (see below) because it will get you through with the highest likelihood of success and least amount of overall hassle. And you're good for two years.

Originally Posted by Back-cracker
In that case, just pay someone to swap it. Smog and you are 2 years free. I understand, they marked it on your records that you failed, so when they re-scan the paperwork it will light up "red".
Old 11-30-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by AlexS2200
/>/> I've owned 7 cars in the last 14 years. None of them have ever passed smog. I even made my CRZ Electric-Hybrid a gross polluter. Lmao
Please tell me more. I'm curious now about your hybrid. lol

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs' timestamp='1354308821' post='22182385
Well, like you said earlier -- lesson learned.

I think BC had the best suggestion (see below) because it will get you through with the highest likelihood of success and least amount of overall hassle. And you're good for two years.

Originally Posted by Back-cracker
In that case, just pay someone to swap it. Smog and you are 2 years free. I understand, they marked it on your records that you failed, so when they re-scan the paperwork it will light up "red".
Yep, will hopefully take care of it tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Ldo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F20AP1
I got my HKS single exhaust without a silencer passed by a BAR ref and it cost about 200 but guess what... i just show the certificate to the officer when i get pulled over and laugh as I watch there cop lights shrink ever smaller in my rear view mirror on my way home />) it works... don't be cheap it can be done />))
Completely irrelevant to what's being discussed here. Your BAR ref certification is for the noise level of the exhaust, and nothing to do with emission since the exhaust does not affect emission. I can have a muffler shop weld some pipes together for exhaust, and if it meets the acceptable noise level, I'll have a REF certificate for it too.

The header does affect emission, so you can't bring a header to the REF and have him give you a certificate. It doesn't work that way. If it doesn't have a CARB sticker, you fail visual inspection, and your car is red flagged in the DMV system.