California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Failed Smog Test, now what?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs' timestamp='1354230811' post='22180405
[quote name='Chris_Lum' timestamp='1354221895' post='22180102']
[quote name='CrAzYNeSs' timestamp='1354214835' post='22179780']
Should I take it to the ref and see if he'll sign off on it?
The likeliness of the CA Ref signing off on this is exactly zero if the header does not have a carb EO#.
Man, what bad luck for me. This happened on another car I had but the smog tech just reset the machine and instructed me to fix it. This guy totally screwed me over.
[/quote]

Not bad luck and not the smog tech screwing you--he was doing his job. He could lose his smog license if found passing illegal cars.

Your options are:

1. Chance it with another smog shop (unlikely they will pass you since you are red flagged now).
2. Pay off a crooked smog tech.
3. Swap to an OE header and smog (the legal way).

honestly, if i were you, i'd just sell the header and put a OE header back on. Not many headers make a difference on our engine (in an N/A application) and not many are legal (I don't even know if any are, i'm just guessing 1 or 2 might be legal). Sell it and put the extra $400+ in your pocket and you won't even notice the power difference--and you won't have to worry about smog any more either.
[/quote]

What he said ^
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs
Originally Posted by Chris_Lum' timestamp='1354221895' post='22180102
The likeliness of the CA Ref signing off on this is exactly zero if the header does not have a carb EO#.
Man, what bad luck for me. This happened on another car I had but the smog tech just reset the machine and instructed me to fix it. This guy totally screwed me over.
[/quote]

Like the other poster said this guy did his job and because you modded your car it's his fault ?
You did the crime now man up and get it fixed.Most people with any common sense would have investigated what shops are more tolerant of modded cars.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 PM

lmfao @ 'you did the crime'
Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 PM

I think the only header that might be "legal" is the DC SPORTS header.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirtle

Crime Time. I like how any law we break even a small or stupid one constitutes someone a criminal
Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs' timestamp='1354230811' post='22180405
[quote name='Chris_Lum' timestamp='1354221895' post='22180102']
[/quote]

Not bad luck and not the smog tech screwing you--he was doing his job. He could lose his smog license if found passing illegal cars.

Your options are:

1. Chance it with another smog shop (unlikely they will pass you since you are red flagged now).
2. Pay off a crooked smog tech.
3. Swap to an OE header and smog (the legal way).

honestly, if i were you, i'd just sell the header and put a OE header back on. Not many headers make a difference on our engine (in an N/A application) and not many are legal (I don't even know if any are, i'm just guessing 1 or 2 might be legal). Sell it and put the extra $400+ in your pocket and you won't even notice the power difference--and you won't have to worry about smog any more either.
[/quote]

Agreed, but didnt feel like he had to submit it to the dmv. Lol I had to pay for it too, what a slap in the face. Lesson learned.

I don't even really have a comment for that other guy who considers modding your OWN car a crime. Ridiculous.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdmjunkie562
Originally Posted by Squirtle' timestamp='1354247519' post='22180797
/>/>/>/>

/>/>/>/> Crime Time. I like how any law we break even a small or stupid one constitutes someone a criminal />/>/>/>

LOL so true, I just laugh at the ignorant boot licking tools who think this is a crime. Fact is that many of these smog laws have absolutely no relevance to real emission out put. Another fact is that diesel, and large trucks are not held to the same standards. Our car already certifies as a LEV and maybe even a ULEV, meeting and exceeding the carbon foot print levels. So therefore, even if a header contributes to absolutely no increased carbon emissions whatsoever, what would be the purpose of falsely labeling it as illegal? Just because ignorant politicians and agencies establish a law, does not always mean it serves the purpose as the kool aid claims to, do you know the hell a mfgr has to do in order to obtain that CARB sticker, its 99% $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and 1% emissions.

Even some of the big turbo guys do not contribute to even a fraction of the carbon emissions that a single Dually will produce, once again, its about extorting money for our already broke and corrupt government and the boot licking sheep think just because a law is enacted, that the law is moral and justified. If you believe that then I have some cheap beach property in Arizona for sale to go with those moral carb laws.

For the boot licking sheep that are still ready to climb on the soap box, CARB was originally enacted to help improve the air quality, reduce carbon emissions and help clean up the air. Laws written in accordance were supposed to contribute to and enforce reduced carbon emissions for the environment. Since CA saw that there was enormous revenue potential, they ended up playing the wolf in sheeps clothing in the name of extortion. There are CARB certified mods out there that will produce significantly MORE CO2 emissions than NON carb certified modifications.... so the only real factor there is $$$$$$$$$.

Even if one of us fail a tailpipe sniff, its sorta bullshit how a dually can fart out huge black smog clouds and still passs..... now whos the criminal hmmm?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs
Agreed, but didnt feel like he had to submit it to the dmv. Lol I had to pay for it too, what a slap in the face. Lesson learned.
It's possible that once the test is started on the equipment, the system requires it be submitted. That equipment is locked down in a lot of ways so that it can't malfunction or be tampered with.

And as far as feeling like having to pay for the smog test was a slap in the face... the guy did the work. The fact that you modified your vehicle and it failed inspection because of it isn't his fault and he should not be penalized for it. Unless they advertise a "pass or don't pay policy," you can't reasonably expect a shop to use expensive equipment on your car, perform a service for you and not be paid for it. If you think about it, I'm sure you will realize that would be a seriously unfair expectation.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyushin
Originally Posted by jdmjunkie562' timestamp='1354252555' post='22180884
[quote name='Squirtle' timestamp='1354247519' post='22180797']
/>/>/>/>/>

/>/>/>/>/> Crime Time. I like how any law we break even a small or stupid one constitutes someone a criminal />/>/>/>/>

LOL so true, I just laugh at the ignorant boot licking tools who think this is a crime. Fact is that many of these smog laws have absolutely no relevance to real emission out put. Another fact is that diesel, and large trucks are not held to the same standards. Our car already certifies as a LEV and maybe even a ULEV, meeting and exceeding the carbon foot print levels. So therefore, even if a header contributes to absolutely no increased carbon emissions whatsoever, what would be the purpose of falsely labeling it as illegal? Just because ignorant politicians and agencies establish a law, does not always mean it serves the purpose as the kool aid claims to, do you know the hell a mfgr has to do in order to obtain that CARB sticker, its 99% $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and 1% emissions.

Even some of the big turbo guys do not contribute to even a fraction of the carbon emissions that a single Dually will produce, once again, its about extorting money for our already broke and corrupt government and the boot licking sheep think just because a law is enacted, that the law is moral and justified. If you believe that then I have some cheap beach property in Arizona for sale to go with those moral carb laws.

For the boot licking sheep that are still ready to climb on the soap box, CARB was originally enacted to help improve the air quality, reduce carbon emissions and help clean up the air. Laws written in accordance were supposed to contribute to and enforce reduced carbon emissions for the environment. Since CA saw that there was enormous revenue potential, they ended up playing the wolf in sheeps clothing in the name of extortion. There are CARB certified mods out there that will produce significantly MORE CO2 emissions than NON carb certified modifications.... so the only real factor there is $$$$$$$$$.

Even if one of us fail a tailpipe sniff, its sorta bullshit how a dually can fart out huge black smog clouds and still passs..... now whos the criminal hmmm?
[/quote]

wow this is quite a rant.

Not to perpetuate this turning into a government bashing debate, BUT have you gone through a CARB certification test? I have. And it's not that bad. I'm guessing most companies just don't get their parts CARB certified because:

1. They are cheap and/or lazy.
2. The part cannot pass no matter what (ie. removes emissions equipment completely, vents to the atmosphere, etc.)
3. The part actually cannot meet the emissions requirements.

Other than the above, it's actually not that complicated nor expensive--especially considering a CARB EO# will boost sales of the product.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 AM

I got my HKS single exhaust without a silencer passed by a BAR ref and it cost about 200 but guess what... i just show the certificate to the officer when i get pulled over and laugh as I watch there cop lights shrink ever smaller in my rear view mirror on my way home ) it works... don't be cheap it can be done ))

Quick Reply: Failed Smog Test, now what?