California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Extended Warranty.. TO BUY or NOT to BUY

Old 01-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onecentaur,Jan 18 2005, 12:12 PM
WELL YOU SEE I'M AT WORK AND THE FORMAT IN OUR SYSTEM WONT LET ME TAKE CAP'S OFF. SORRY IF IT IS HEARTING YOUR EYE
Are you serious? UUnet Technologies, Inc., need to do something about this. What about when you send emails to your co-workers?

BC
Old 01-18-2005, 12:04 PM
KLN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my car used Honda certified with 42,000 miles on it over 2 years ago. I also added on the 6year/100,000 miles warranty just to be safe. I have yet to need any warranty work but like mentioned above it does come with towing/roadside assistance so that's a bonus.

I now have 66,000 miles on my car and the warranty will expire in 11/06. I have pretty much become very familiar with working on the S2000 so if anything happens after the warranty expires I hope I'll be able to repair it on my own with the help of Matt from Honda World and his great discounts he gets all of us
Old 01-18-2005, 12:33 PM

hello' it is i mr CAPS ON

i checked with my boss and he told me that it is blocked in our system. and since he and i are good friends he unblocked it. or so he tells me. so if you see it in the future it is because i forgot to change it. when you work for a large co. they have lots of crazy rules. ok sorry about that.

onecentaur
Old 01-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by onecentaur,Jan 18 2005, 01:33 PM
hello' it is i mr CAPS ON

i checked with my boss and he told me that it is blocked in our system. and since he and i are good friends he unblocked it. or so he tells me. so if you see it in the future it is because i forgot to change it. when you work for a large co. they have lots of crazy rules. ok sorry about that.

onecentaur
Old 01-18-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

always good to be your bosses good friend
Old 01-18-2005, 04:33 PM

crazyness did you get the car fixed? and what was the problem? are you going on the 1/30
Old 01-19-2005, 04:23 PM

Don't buy the extended warranty. They have huge profit margins for every retailer (Best Buy, Circuit City, Honda).

I never buy extended warranties now. I figure the amount of money I save in my lifetime will be greater than the one repair that I have to fork over money for. You know what I mean? How much is your potential extended warranty? Around $1300 for the 7yr/100000mi, right? I'm on my 4th car (various manufacturers) and if I bought extended warranties for all of them, that would be around $5200. Have I had to make any major repairs after the 3yr/36000mi manufacturer's warranty--nope.

Save your money, definitely buy the economical 2nd car for your daily commuter. I did. No more worries about poor road conditions, rain, shopping carts in parking lots, rental cars...you get my drift.

I guess I should tell you why I became tainted with extended warranties. I bought my '95 Supra certified used in 1997. I succumbed to the warranty push, especially since I "got it for cost." $700. I developed an oil leak from behind the oil filter or something like that. Took it to the dealer and told them I have this warranty. After they looked it up, the warranty didn't cover that repair! Turns out it was only $80 to repair (cheap, by dealer standards), but the point was it wasn't covered. That extended warranty was NOT the bumper-to-bumper warranty the dealer made it out to be. So, be weary!

Besides, if you do need some help with repairs, there are some wonderful people on these forums with great information and advice.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:54 PM

I bought the Honda Care 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty. I wanted a warranty for as long as I was making payments. Thoughts like arush19's can be very costly. Just think if you caused a serious accident and killed someone and you had no insurance -- just a $35,000 bond. You'd be sued and would go bankrupt and lose your home.

That's an extreme, but the name of the game is balancing risk and cost with reward. One other plus of the Honda Care is the 24/7 towing. I don't carry a spare tire so that alone is worth a few hundred bucks to me over five years. I think I paid around $1,000 for my warranty.

Insurance is almost like investing money. In investments, the game is about diversity and balancing risk. With insurance, you hope for the best but need the coverage just in case. Again, you're weighing risk and reward.

Here's a secret -- Hard Top Guy sells Honda Care warranties. I've never once seen a dealer beat any of his prices on any item. Give him a buzz and see what he quotes you
http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/cust...ome.php?cat=41
Old 01-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by arush19,Jan 19 2005, 05:23 PM
Don't buy the extended warranty. They have huge profit margins for every retailer (Best Buy, Circuit City, Honda).

I never buy extended warranties now. I figure the amount of money I save in my lifetime will be greater than the one repair that I have to fork over money for. You know what I mean? How much is your potential extended warranty? Around $1300 for the 7yr/100000mi, right? I'm on my 4th car (various manufacturers) and if I bought extended warranties for all of them, that would be around $5200. Have I had to make any major repairs after the 3yr/36000mi manufacturer's warranty--nope.

Save your money, definitely buy the economical 2nd car for your daily commuter. I did. No more worries about poor road conditions, rain, shopping carts in parking lots, rental cars...you get my drift.

I guess I should tell you why I became tainted with extended warranties. I bought my '95 Supra certified used in 1997. I succumbed to the warranty push, especially since I "got it for cost." $700. I developed an oil leak from behind the oil filter or something like that. Took it to the dealer and told them I have this warranty. After they looked it up, the warranty didn't cover that repair! Turns out it was only $80 to repair (cheap, by dealer standards), but the point was it wasn't covered. That extended warranty was NOT the bumper-to-bumper warranty the dealer made it out to be. So, be weary!

Besides, if you do need some help with repairs, there are some wonderful people on these forums with great information and advice.
I would have to disagree with you here. If you play your cards right, you can get one for 900.00 7/100K.

I've seen MY01 with ruined, yellow crusty tops that has been replaced. (That alone pays for the warranty).

I've seen differentials go bad, and paid for by Honda.

I've seen as much as a misshifts (Lucky SOB) paid for by Honda.

I've seen cracked leather seats repaired by Honda.

My transmission was paid for by Honda, so did my hubs and bearings.

Resale value can increase, as you sell it, and a trouble free car, if you don't abuse it.

BC
Old 01-19-2005, 05:27 PM

jeff,

you mod your car so that i don't think dealer will give you free shit when you have problems. for me, i purchased it when i first got the car and if i don't use it after the warranty is over and i never used it, i can get all my money back. it's weird i know.

but i just think that it's much safer to have the extended warranty than not. it's all about secure mind.