California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

drunk driving procedure

Old 08-27-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt the police are going to follow up on a random call like that.

You don't know its a drunk driver.

The police don't have the resources to follow every call.

They could however gather statistics from your call and pinpoint where the "danger spots" are and set up checkpoints.

I don't know, I just try to be more aware and avoid those kind of people.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by dyhppy,Aug 27 2006, 05:13 PM
im asking you guys if you think it would make a difference. sheesh, funny how no one has answered that question directly. i know it's scary and dangerous etc, thats why im asking.
Short answer: Yes, I think it makes a difference.

Long answer: What kind of harm could it do to call it in? What if 99% of the time, they don't catch the guy. Are you just not going to call it in, thinking "well, it probably won't make a difference?" Come on... is it worth your time and cell phone minutes to try and keep a drunk driver from killing someone else? Even if the guys are caught 1% of the time, think about all the drunks out there, and think about doing your part to keep them off the road. The phone numbers are there for a reason. The amber alert signs TELL you to report drunk drivers on major holidays (you should do it all the time, they just remind you then). So if you CAN do something about it, why not just do it and not worry about what the odds are that you made a difference in our pathetic highways?
Old 08-27-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by IheartS2ks,Aug 27 2006, 05:39 PM
I doubt the police are going to follow up on a random call like that.

You don't know its a drunk driver.

The police don't have the resources to follow every call.

They could however gather statistics from your call and pinpoint where the "danger spots" are and set up checkpoints.

I don't know, I just try to be more aware and avoid those kind of people.
Yeah, so you should probably just not call .

CHP takes drunk driving pretty lightly I hear .

Yeah, you don't know if the guy is "technically" drunk... but if you've driven out there long enough, you've seen enough drivers to know who just sucks, and who's under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or even lack of sleep. Either way, he/she needs to be OFF the roads.

As for being "aware"... well good for you. I'm sure the person who gets rear-ended by the drunk driver is going to be really thankful that you were aware it was going to happen.

Sorry for being so bitter, but I really have no sympathy for drunk drivers.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:51 PM
beb

From first hand experience, I will tell you......... The state takes drunk driving SUPER DUPER EXTREMELY GINORMOUSLY seriously. lol.

First off - It happens too much. Too many get hurt or die. Its just not right.

Second - The money they make off DD is CRAZY!

Honestly, I really do believe that if you call it in - it WILL make a difference. No, theres no way they can take care of every single call they get....... But even 1 out of 100 calls that get addressed may be a life saved.

Dont turn this into an angry thread guys. Lets keep it for the greater good, please report any kind of dangerous driving to the authorities..... Whether it may be someone drunk, high or getting road head (lol) we need to watch out for each other and get those crazies off the road!!
Old 08-27-2006, 04:52 PM

Yeah. It makes a difference.

I used to be one of those guys, got caught, and ever since I cab it if I'm going to go drinking.

Call it in. If someone is swerving, they can't drive. You'll help the driver as well as everyone else.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

N, have you ever called one in?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a problem snitching. Just how I grew up I guess.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:25 PM

Call it in. It makes a difference. CHP follow up on drunk driving calls. They have your number if it turns out to be a prank.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,Aug 27 2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah, so you should probably just not call .

CHP takes drunk driving pretty lightly I hear .

Yeah, you don't know if the guy is "technically" drunk... but if you've driven out there long enough, you've seen enough drivers to know who just sucks, and who's under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or even lack of sleep. Either way, he/she needs to be OFF the roads.

As for being "aware"... well good for you. I'm sure the person who gets rear-ended by the drunk driver is going to be really thankful that you were aware it was going to happen.

Sorry for being so bitter, but I really have no sympathy for drunk drivers.

I didn't say not to call, I gave reasons why calling might not make a difference.

In my experience and logically, police are taxed and have other things to do than following a call like this.

Now when people swerve I used to think, what is that guy, drunk? Later to find them digging around looking for a cell phone or doing something.

These (drunk) people should be off the road, but I should not be made to feel guily for inaction on a supposition. The driver who drinks should be responsible and other drivers need also be "aware" of these people at all times.

If I or someone I loved were involved in an accident, and found out that someone witnessed the person that hit me swerving, would I be upset at the witness if they did not report the swerving person? No.

With all of that being said should you call? Yes if you think it makes a difference.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:26 PM

It does make a difference.

I have not had the pleasure of calling yet, although I will not hesitate to.

Quick Reply: drunk driving procedure