California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

dog euthanasia

Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't the vet be able to tell you when it's time?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mrjulius,Sep 8 2009, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't the vet be able to tell you when it's time?
they tend to stay out of things like this.
it's really the owner's decision
i guess they can make suggestions and what not but since they don't see the dog day in day out, they really dont know
Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 AM

It is time when the dog's quality of life is not good anymore. Dogs deserve to live an enjoyable, pain free life as we do. If that is not reasonably possible, then it is time to end the suffering.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 AM

I'm sure this is going to be a very hard process for you, best of luck. My aunt just had her 15 y/o dog pass away and they required a lot of support.

Instead of creating a new thread, does anyone know where I can get a young labrador or retriever? I've been looking in shelters for a while but I haven't found what I'm looking for.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dogs are great

unconditional love

Old 09-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,547 Likes on 1,917 Posts

Originally Posted by 1036AP2,Sep 6 2009, 12:49 PM
...which brings me to our oldest dog. she is a german shepard. "shasta" loves sleeping in the rain, eating (i really mean eating, she eats non-stop) and steals her sister's food, running and sleeping. she is currently 14 years old. she went blind in her left eye last year and i think her hearing is going as well. german shepards are notorious for having arthritis in their rear legs and she is no different. it has progressed worse and worse every year. i also noticed a lump by her front right armpit, its about the size of a golf ball.

my wife and i are expecting our first child next month. we always talked about putting shasta down when she shows us that she no longer wants to go on. i.e.: doesnt want to eat, cant move, etc... she is still ticking but we can tell she is getting tired and she is exhausted just trying to get up. since we lost most of our dogs tragically, we were never put in a spot where we would have to put down a dog in this position. 14 years for a shepard is a long time. my mother in law thinks its time especially since the baby is coming but it is hard making decisions like this.

what is the right thing to do?

what have been your experiences...?

thanks for reading this long post...
I am a German Shepherd person, too. My screen name, Kyras, is the name of a German Shepherd I had, and loved intensely. He died from Rimadyl's side effects in Dec. 1999 at 8-years old. I owned three more after him, Whiskey, Vector and Rogue. We had to put Whiskey down when she was blind , dragged her rear end around and could not control her bowels any more. There was more, but I don't want to gross anyone out. She was 11-years old.

So, first of all, 14 is very old for a GS. Congratulations on her long life. I've never know one to live that long. But, just giving you back what you wrote: "...we always talked about putting shasta down when she shows us that she no longer wants to go on. i.e.: doesnt want to eat, cant move, etc." and then "she is still ticking but we can tell she is getting tired and she is exhausted just trying to get up." Judging by what you've said, I'd say her time is near but I would have a hard time putting her down just yet. Sounds like that's where you're at.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM

thanks patricia ^

yea, i think my problem right now is that she's "getting there" and is not just there yet.

basically, almost at the end of the road.

all she looks forward to is eating. she doesnt even like to respond to me and my wife anymore unless we got a biscuit or food. she eats and eats and eats.

it is so amazing to see animals who live on without bitching a single day. she has so many issues she is dealing with and she doesnt bitch about it... although shes been barking at the wind lately... she's probably talking to her parents "im coming soon!"

they give us so much in return for so little. dogs...
Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 PM

your 4year old dixie looks just like my 1year old soji.

i been looking for a playmate for my soji.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:45 PM

^soji is a freaking cutie... dixie needs a good home.
it would be nice to have her go to a home with another dog...
pm me if you are interested

Quick Reply: dog euthanasia