California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Does Anyone Work in the Film Industry

Old 05-24-2004, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a concept desiger for the feature animation industry (DreamWorks...Shrek etc...). Like others said it is very, very hard to get your foot in the door.

The best way for her to get in, is as a Production Assistant (P.A.) intern....we have quite a few of those here during Summer.

It pays well, and if they like you, they will keep you etc....basicaly you will move up in rank and eventually (if youre good and they like you) a producer...but that will take some time.

Sometimes you start in the mail room, then P.A. then Production Supervisor, Produtciton manager and so on....

As mentioned, know someone IS the key....I got lucky. I had no idea I was headed into the film industry (my background at Art Center was Product/Transportaion design....designing cars, motorbikes and products...making them look cool). Luckily I took a class about concept designs for the movie industry and my instructor was an Art Director for Dreamworks.

WIthout my knowledge, he recommended me, and I got a phone call and the rest is history.

Again, make sure she knows what she wants to do.....Directing, producing, concept designs, audio, and so forth.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the film industry, but more on the post production side. Some of my other business partners that have been in the industry a lot longer than I have might be able to help her out.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:23 AM

Hi Ryan,

can you PM or email me a resume? I'm a post-production creative director and I work in the heart of the entertainment industry. I hire (and fire) people all the time. But I have to tell you, I'm in total agreement along with some of the other posts I've seen here. This industry is the most ugly, cutthroat business I've ever had the pleasure working in.
It's not for the easy going, or thinned skinned.

With that said, it's also true that you have to have many contacts for this kind of work. Tell you niece to meet as many people as she can. Even if she know she won't get a job form someone, it's still good to make herself known and noticed.

She should be pushy, but not overbearing.

And remember this about all things:
In Hollywood, hitting below the belt is not only acceptable, it's encouraged.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:36 PM

opps I thought it said adult in the title...my bad..
Old 05-27-2004, 12:30 PM

SuperKool I have been away on business and just saw your post. Thank you so much for posting, I will see if can get a copy of her resume for you. Again thanks, and I will PM this to you as well.

Ryan
Old 05-27-2004, 01:43 PM

thanks for the help and support so far. What a great bunch of people we have around here. Be sure to come to me whenever you guys need ANYTHING.

Ryan