California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

does anyone know any Doberman breeders?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Mar 18 2010, 03:34 PM
Some info, remember pitbulls have a special circumstance where they have more bites than deserved possibly since people treat them HORRIBLY as dog fighting dogs. This is also true of some other strong dog breeds of course too but not to the extent of the pit. Next is Rotties in a close 2nd so their numbers are also skewed unfairly imo.
Since you posted the article, I can only assume you did not read it Be careful of the evidence you cite to back up your arguments, because they may end up biting you in the ass (pun intended). I will quote the article's conclusions for you:

"For the same reason, it is sheer foolishness to encourage people to
regard pit bull terriers and Rottweilers as just dogs like any other, no
matter how much they may behave like other dogs under ordinary
circumstances."

"Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be
handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special
requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other
animals, if they are to be kept at all."
Old 03-18-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And not to bash on any type of dog Greg, I merely found the humor in the fact that you cited an academic source that couldn't possibly be more contradictory to your argument. Check out this statement:

"Of the breeds most often involved in incidents of sufficient severity
to be listed, pit bull terriers are noteworthy for attacking adults almost
as frequently as children. This is a very rare pattern: children are
normally at greatest risk from dogbite because they play with dogs more
often, have less experience in reading dog behavior, are more likely to
engage in activity that alarms or stimulates a dog, and are less able to
defend themselves when a dog becomes aggressive. Pit bulls seem to differ
behaviorally from other dogs in having far less inhibition about attacking
people who are larger than they are. They are also notorious for attacking
seemingly without warning, a tendency exacerbated by the custom of docking
pit bulls' tails so that warning signals are not easily recognized. Thus
the adult victim of a pit bull attack may have had little or no opportunity
to read the warning signals that would avert an attack from any other dog."

Her entire article basically concludes Pitts and Rotties should be heavily regulated due to their extreme danger. She never mentions owner misuse/abuse as a causal factor for attacks.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ I was going to spend the time to find one that favors them. I choose to just find a list that would copy paste in proper format to s2ki. Her opinion is clearly biased and I'd bet my s2000 that she's never owned a pitbul nor a rottie.

Opinions like these are a dime a dozen on both sides. Is funny that I found one quite contrary to my beliefs and experience.

People base conclusions on the end result, if they lack the ability to see WHY that might be, that's their own mistake.

At the end of the day I'll not trust ANY dog around a newborn child while I don't trust ANY dog to NEVER bite. That said I will not worry in the slightest about my dog being out of control, nor will I need to as I'll be in control of my dog.

It's like saying sportscars are dangerous, well sure but that's probably because the people who drive them typically drive in a dangerous fashion. Exact same situation.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Oh... and with all this said.

Our dog will be working with children and cancer patients as a therapy dog while also being trained in K-9 police style protection and trained to attack and hopefully kill intruders of our home as expected. The same way I'd intend to shoot to kill anyone who comes in my house as of now when not invited.

People will make assumptions and conclude things on their own, still the fact will be that the dog does both perfectly and no flaws will be pointed out. There are a very large number of pits already doing these jobs with great success.

To the OP:

Most importantly if you're going to buy an aggressive breed like a Doberman, do it right and get it from a breeder who has bred the traits you want in a dog. Then learn how to pick the puppy from the litter that you want. Never pick the last dog left in the litter, be the first to pick instead. By picking a dog from a good litter you're defining the breed for the future and deciding what kind of dog you bring around your family. Bad breeding is much of what has ruined some dog's names in society.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=05TurboS2k,Mar 18 2010, 02:30 PM]^ Akita?

Statistically one of the most dangerous dogs bar none?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=05TurboS2k,Mar 18 2010, 04:21 PM]Most importantly if you're going to buy an aggressive breed like a Doberman, do it right and get it from a breeder who has bred the traits you want in a dog.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:42 PM

That's an excellent story about the youngest sisters.

It's funny how some dogs are able to sense that someone is vulnerable and become protective etc.

Do that dog a favor and breed carefully to uphold good traits like that. Typically they've suffered in this area sadly.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little dogs like Chihuahuas are aggressive because people humanize them and just think everything they do is ok or cute because they are a small dog. People let small dogs jump all over themselves and strangers. However if they had a big dog, they would never let it happen in fear of the dog being so physically large it would hurt someone; not to mention scare them.

Training is always an issue, that being said the OP does not seem knowledgeable enough from my limited observations based on his posts regarding the breed (Dobers).
Old 03-18-2010, 04:07 PM

^ This is correct. I'd have to agree, and about the OP as well, though with some research it's not to say he couldn't handle it. If buying a F1 car, certainly you should study how to properly own and drive one.

These small dogs don't have "pack order" since they're held up all the time and treated like humans they find themselves equals.

Another big issue is their small size and dependence breeding typically leads to them being fearful and not confident, thus they bite out of fear.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OC S2K,Mar 18 2010, 05:02 PM
Little dogs like Chihuahuas are aggressive because people humanize them and just think everything they do is ok or cute because they are a small dog. People let small dogs jump all over themselves and strangers. However if they had a big dog, they would never let it happen in fear of the dog being so physically large it would hurt someone; not to mention scare them.

Training is always an issue, that being said the OP does not seem knowledgeable enough from my limited observations based on his posts regarding the breed (Dobers).

Giving them a Bday gift is Humanizing them?

Quick Reply: does anyone know any Doberman breeders?