California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Democrats takes over the Republicans!

Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicotunes,Nov 9 2006, 09:14 AM
I am not referring to folks like you. In one of my posts I think I referred to the top 2% or so of the wealthy.
I think the top 1% of income starts in the neighborhood of $250K/year? Not that hard to do in a high cost/high wage state like California. I need to do some research on that number....
Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin,Nov 9 2006, 10:37 AM
Do we have to go at it again Nic? Never saw a poor person hire any people.
btw your screen name is interesting considering the whole rich vs poor discussion.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse,Nov 9 2006, 10:52 AM
I think the top 1% of income starts in the neighborhood of $250K/year? Not that hard to do in a high cost/high wage state like California. I need to do some research on that number....
When you find that job, can you let me know?

Old 11-09-2006, 10:00 AM

I'm a Republican primarily from an economic conservative point of view. I think that the abortion and gay marriage things are topics that are brought up by the extremists on both sides to help polarize voters into 2 groups. Most of us are really centrists on the majority of issues, but the hot button stuff gets thrown out there as the "defining" characteristics of each party. These are the means of ensuring voters are for one party or the other instead of creating independent candidates or a potential 3rd party. How would the 3rd party be defined if there are really only "for or against" positions on these polarizing issues. The Libertarians are publically perceived as being wackos who want to legalize drugs. There's just not enough to really get mad about in their platform so they never get out the big votes.

I hate the fact that Republicans are seen as little better than the American Taliban thanks to their consistent attempts to impose religious ideals into law and government policy. I know that a lot of people feel strongly about these issues, but I think that the majority of real people just don't care about gay marriage or abortion. If it doesn't affect their daily lives, it doesn't really matter. The people who care a lot about these issues are the ones who get all of the attention because they make the most noise. Most of us just want to do our jobs, pay our fair share of taxes, raise our families, and not hurt anybody. It's the extremists that have make our political system so painful to swallow.

So, Welcome to the Democratic Congress and Senate. I happy to see some change, even if it means a temporary economic hardship in the form of higher taxes. The Republicans needed a wake up call, and they will respond in coming elections. The Democrats, unfortunately, have little real plan other than reversing everything that has been done over the past 8-10 years. Unless they get it together rather quickly, expect another reversal of fortune in the next election.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by xmartin,Nov 9 2006, 11:00 AM
I'm a Republican primarily from an economic conservative point of view. I think that the abortion and gay marriage things are topics that are brought up by the extremists on both sides to help polarize voters into 2 groups. Most of us are really centrists on the majority of issues, but the hot button stuff gets thrown out there as the "defining" characteristics of each party. These are the means of ensuring voters are for one party or the other instead of creating independent candidates or a potential 3rd party. How would the 3rd party be defined if there are really only "for or against" positions on these polarizing issues. The Libertarians are publically perceived as being wackos who want to legalize drugs. There's just not enough to really get mad about in their platform so they never get out the big votes.

I hate the fact that Republicans are seen as little better than the American Taliban thanks to their consistent attempts to impose religious ideals into law and government policy. I know that a lot of people feel strongly about these issues, but I think that the majority of real people just don't care about gay marriage or abortion. If it doesn't affect their daily lives, it doesn't really matter. The people who care a lot about these issues are the ones who get all of the attention because they make the most noise. Most of us just want to do our jobs, pay our fair share of taxes, raise our families, and not hurt anybody. It's the extremists that have make our political system so painful to swallow.

So, Welcome to the Democratic Congress and Senate. I happy to see some change, even if it means a temporary economic hardship in the form of higher taxes. The Republicans needed a wake up call, and they will respond in coming elections. The Democrats, unfortunately, have little real plan other than reversing everything that has been done over the past 8-10 years. Unless they get it together rather quickly, expect another reversal of fortune in the next election.
While I do feel that some recent things NEED reversing (a return to respecting The Bill of Rights for example), I do agree whole-heartedly with you, xmartin.

EITHER extreme is not good.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nicotunes,Nov 9 2006, 10:53 AM
When you find that job, can you let me know?

Get yourself BS Mech Engineering and an MBA, get yourself a wife with double BS Mech Eng/Bio Eng AND an MBA. Find lots of jobs with big $$$ paychecks. No special luck required. Just hard work.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse,Nov 9 2006, 03:49 PM
Get yourself BS Mech Engineering and an MBA, get yourself a wife with double BS Mech Eng/Bio Eng AND an MBA. Find lots of jobs with big $$$ paychecks. No special luck required. Just hard work.
Wow, that's all I have to do???

Old 11-09-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nicotunes,Nov 9 2006, 03:53 PM

Yeah, and how much did all those degrees cost?
Old 11-09-2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nicotunes,Nov 9 2006, 03:53 PM

Yup, it really is that simple.

Out of all the Dem vs repub issues, the one that really pisses me off is the "rich vs poor" card played so often and well by the Dems. I prefer to call it "hard working vs lazy". Other than the few lucky sperm club members, 99% of "rich" people got that way with hard work. Whether it was academic brain power or good old fashioned elbow grease, they earned it. If you are poor, go do something about it. Learn a trade, go to school, work more hours at the BK, whatever it takes. Taxing people to punish their success is a backassward system we have here in the goodl ole USA.

I guess it boils down to it being easier for Pelosi to say "Tax the rich!" than for her to say "Get off your lazy ass and get a job!"
Old 11-09-2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse,Nov 9 2006, 04:33 PM
Yup, it really is that simple.

Out of all the Dem vs repub issues, the one that really pisses me off is the "rich vs poor" card played so often and well by the Dems. I prefer to call it "hard working vs lazy". Other than the few lucky sperm club members, 99% of "rich" people got that way with hard work. Whether it was academic brain power or good old fashioned elbow grease, they earned it. If you are poor, go do something about it. Learn a trade, go to school, work more hours at the BK, whatever it takes. Taxing people to punish their success is a backassward system we have here in the goodl ole USA.

I guess it boils down to it being easier for Pelosi to say "Tax the rich!" than for her to say "Get off your lazy ass and get a job!"
Alas, I must disagree again.

I believe there are PLENTY of rich born with the silver spoons already planted firmly in mouth.

There are PLENTY of hard working poor people and I hate to say this, but your attitude and disdain towards them pervades the Republican Party and sums up the reason for the ill will towards the GOP.

Quick Reply: Democrats takes over the Republicans!