California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Democrats takes over the Republicans!

Old 11-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bert05GPW,Nov 8 2006, 04:22 PM
Both parties are crap. It's time for a new party. A party that believes in furthering the human cause; a party that believes in science and not fairy tales; a party that believes in the separation of church and state; a party that knows how to rock.
lol
Old 11-08-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by dirtypwntang,Nov 8 2006, 04:17 PM
Again, I state that it's a touchy subject.

Regardless of their reasons, the point stands that they want to be there. They want nothing more than to fight this war and win. The reason we're STILL there is because the country just isn't ready to stand on its own yet. Until they can successfully build a working government, I don't think it's fair to THEM (the Iraqis) to leave them hangin'.
I agree with your points.

We all want to win. But there is NO PLAN TO WIN, don't you see? Not while the corporations like Halliburton are lining their pockets.

And there is NO GOOD PLAN to have them stand on their own. We are making it up as we go. We have NO CLUE over there. We underestimated the resistance (there were people warning Bush and Rummy. They didn't listen) and how hard it would be to set up a government, let alone a democracy that they do not want.....
Old 11-08-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bert05GPW,Nov 8 2006, 04:22 PM
Both parties are crap. It's time for a new party. A party that believes in furthering the human cause; a party that believes in science and not fairy tales; a party that believes in the separation of church and state; a party that knows how to rock.
BERT05 in '08!!
Old 11-08-2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by dirtypwntang,Nov 8 2006, 12:40 PM
The old belief that a Republican leadership is directly related to better stock performance has been proven wrong time and time again. In theory, a Republican Congress should help; but looking at past returns in practice, the stock market has actually shown to be in favor of the Democrats. The difference is miniscule to the point that it can be considered statistically insignificant, but the point still stands that a Republican House/Senate will not, in practice, produce better stock market outcome.
You may be correct about the Dem's or Rep's being in power overall, but if the Senate does not go majority Democrat, then we have a split congress, which brings uncertainty. I think that it may be good for some things, but a split congress with half (Democrats) with a clear mandate to raise taxes, including capital gains, plus the various political games that they will play until the next Presidential election is not a good thing for the market.

The market will recover either way over time, but the short term situation may be a loss due to the threat of tax increases, etc. Once they are increased for a while, everything hits an equilibrium and the market can grow again. It's mainly the day traders that can lose or win, but my point about the boomers waiting to retire during a down market still stands. We'll just have to wait a little longer for that promotion.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:57 PM

The anti-Dems here are taking this change of power way too *literally*. I dunno if I can speak for all Americans that voted Dems back into (some) power, but personally I perceive that there is simply greatly reduced trust between the people and the government (all 3 branches), and the voters once again have to resort to the lesser of two evils. It doesn't matter if this means higher taxes, it doesn't matter if this means something else that comes up -- I/we simply need to mix things up. "Whatever the Dems stand for, it can't be worse than what we've got now" is the general thinking, if I perceive correctly.

Those voting Democrat for this election may not even BE Democrats, and Democrat or not, the popular opinion that I've perceived is NOT that we want to leave Iraq, but that we want the foreign policy cleaned up (i.e. we want out national respect back), reparations made, and a clear plan for somehow "making up for" starting this war in the first place. It is the only honorable thing to do here. There has been far too little discussion and investigation into the studies on how SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND *EXTRA* Iraqi's have been killed since we started that Iraq war. The fact that taking the margin of error into account and that the minimum # of people killed is in the 300 thousands MAKES ME SICK. Sure, maybe it's all Iraq's people's fault and we just kinda unleashed a ticking time bomb, but do I know either way? No, because there is absolutely NO ONE I can trust in the media or government these days to give me any kind of a straight answer. Even those on the front line may not see the big picture if the military chain of command is only telling them things on a need-to-know basis.

Simply put, I think this is not a party issue for many people, but that since the system currently forces it upon us (if we vote for a lesser known party we actually want, whoever that might be, we risk the current party staying in power, corrupt as ever), we voted for the lesser of two evils, Democrats.

At least now there is some semblance of checks and balances, and now we must simply hope that the fresh faces on Capitol Hill will be honorable and reasonable enough to start doing the right things for this country and any country we've negatively affected in recent years.

I really think the voting system should let you vote more than once for a particular political race, ordering the choices by priority. That would have been logistically impossible before, but if the voting is as computerized as it is now (despite the trouble we had with trust and glitches of e-voting), it should be no problem allowing people to optionally specify "backup" choices so that they can do two things:

a) say who/what they WANT
b) say who/what they DON'T want

Until then, we're gonna be ####ed forever, stuck in an infinite ping pong game of corruption.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve for Prez
Old 11-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The governator is back, why did california vote for him?

He must have done something right, right?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nicotunes,Nov 8 2006, 03:52 PM
Typical Republican. Head in the sand, parrots what he is told.
This is a extremely hateful comment and reflects a little of what is wrong with people who are not acting as part of the solution but instead seek to divide this nation.
All American's are worthy as are their points of view and need to be respected.

Open and honest debate should be encouraged as no one person or perspective is 100% right.

Please consider being less bitter and hateful and try being more open to seeking solutions that respect all people and points of view.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=xmartin,Nov 8 2006, 04:34 PM] You may be correct about the Dem's or Rep's being in power overall, but if the Senate does not go majority Democrat, then we have a split congress, which brings uncertainty.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by radcliffe1,Nov 8 2006, 07:38 PM
This is a extremely hateful comment and reflects a little of what is wrong with people who are not acting as part of the solution but instead seek to divide this nation.
All American's are worthy as are their points of view and need to be respected.

Open and honest debate should be encouraged as no one person or perspective is 100% right.

Please consider being less bitter and hateful and try being more open to seeking solutions that respect all people and points of view.
Please read all posts before scolding.

I was replying to him calling me a typical Democrat and a HYPOCRITE!

Are you suggesting I not defend myself??

And do not talk to me about the First Amendment issues. I am not a member of the party trying to destroy it........

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Democrats takes over the Republicans!