California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

DAMN, I never seen so many accidents

Old 10-20-2004, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAMN, I never seen so many accidents

So I take off from home today at 5:30am (takes me 30 or so min to get to work) its raining like a MOTHER! It was raining so hard while driving the freeway in Irvine that I had to get off and take the streets to work. I could not see more than 10 feet infront of me.
I get to McArthur and Fairview, and there is a 4 car pile up.
On the way to work today I see a total of 10 different accidents.

- I hate driving in the rain

Remember to slow down a little bit and drive safe!
Old 10-20-2004, 05:54 AM

Growing up in NYC, I NEVER saw many accidents in the rain. Some, of course, but not like out here. Yes, it rains more back there, and yes, there are more cars on the road here, but traffic can be just as bad there. What is it about Californians that they just cannot drive in the rain????? C'mon, it rains EVERY YEAR, some years (like this one) earlier and more often, but you'd think people would learn to slow down?!?! Amazing.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:07 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,287 Likes on 992 Posts

A little bit of rain and So Cal drivers turn into complete idiots. They drive like it isn't raining, tailgate. I like to drive fast, but any rain and I turn into an old lady. Last night on Foothill Bl in La Crescenta, some woman lost control of her Cadillac and slid into oncoming traffic -- me. I was lucky I had another lane to move into, or I would have been creamed.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:20 AM

i was just passing by mcarthur and fairview and they had another accident there.

Remember to stay in the middle lane to the left lane, there are a lot of puddles/floods on the ride side that can cause you to slide out.

Will-

BECAREFUL
Old 10-20-2004, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by The Raptor,Oct 20 2004, 08:07 AM
A little bit of rain and So Cal drivers turn into complete idiots. They drive like it isn't raining, tailgate.
I fully agree with you. I especially see SUVs going at a high rate of speed.

This morning my drive was 2 hours instead of the usual 45 minutes....

There were a total of seven accidents on my way from Murrieta to Corona... 5 of those on the 15 freeway with people that spun out and hit the center divider...
Old 10-20-2004, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by jsalicru,Oct 20 2004, 08:22 AM
There were a total of seven accidents on my way from Murrieta to Corona... 5 of those on the 15 freeway with people that spun out and hit the center divider...
...people...

Not this year but a couple of years ago, I was driving down from NorCal to LA and it rained the entire 6.5 hour trip. People were passing me going 70-90 on the I-5, especially those people who need to prove their manhood with their lifted trucks and SUVs.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:26 AM

I like to drive fast, but any rain and I turn into an old lady.

Coming home from Pasadena last night...it was POURING. I drove about 26-30 mph on side streets, while people passed me. It takes a bit longer to get home...but I get there SAFE! BTW...HOLY puddles. I think I went through more than a foot of water on Beverly near Highland. UGH.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:09 AM

You're telling me about accidents...

So, two years ago in Fresno I was stopped at a red light for 20 - 30 seconds and an underage, unlicensed driver in a borrowed car slams into me, throws it in reverse, smokes his tires and drives off. Two civilian witnesses chased him down and he was arrested 5 minutes later. I went through 3 months of physical therapy, have permanent damage to my c5/c6 vertabrae (just had an MRI three weeks ago) and am still not healed two years later (and can now only get worse).

Then, Sunday night driving home in the rain, I'm going South on the 110 and go West on the 10. I'm going 60-65 mph in the middle lane of the 10W connector and there is a car sideways across all lanes with no lights on and no street lights illuminating it. It looks like a ghost/pirate ship. The only light it had left was the right hand parking light, but it wasn't even blinking and was turned 90 degrees to traffic. Jennifer screamed and I was able to skid to a complete stop and avoid the car by going to the right hand shoulder. I immediately stopped (I was shaking at this point and was going to call 911 for the guy). Three cars behind me saw my hazards and swerved to the right instead of going on the 10W. A fourth car, that we never saw, wasn't paying attention and slammed into us. My foot wasn't too hard on the brake so we went forward about 20 to 30 feet. The guy then threw it into reverse and took off! I was ing pissed and had adrenaline coursing through my body so I got in a high speed chase, Civic against Sentra, but couldn't catch him. He was running (who knows from what or if he was armed) and floored it to about 120 mph through the rain and weaving between cars. (I would have caught his sorry a$$ in my S, no doubt.) I wasn't about to follow him at those speeds. We definitely got the first three letters of his plate though if anyone has connections to plate DBs. I'd love to see this MF get some punishment. The 911 operators told me the cops won't do anything and that they (the operators) would not even put out a lookout over the police radio for the partial plate/car/make/model/color/year range that we had.

So, to speed this story up a bit. We called 911 8 to 12 times between our two cell phones and never got through. I had to find a guy off a side street and ask him to use his landline at midnight so I could call 911. I got through finally, but then was transferred to CHP emergency and just said F-- it after 20 more minutes on hold. After that, I just drove Jennifer and myself to the emergency room at Cedars Sinai.

We're doing okay but we both have some whiplash. It's too early to tell the extent of the medical damage. I'm just starting to hurt today, as the adrenaline has worn down to regular levels. Our car faired pretty well. It just needs a bumper cover, bumper reinforcement, and work on the right-rear quarter panel.

Oh, and about that sideways car... We won't know the full details until the CHP report comes out in 10 days, but it sounds like it was a sigalert, one lane on the 10W closed, two flatbed tow trucks full of wrecked cars, and 10 cars involved in collisions, plus our hit and run.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:27 PM

Damn! that sucks filcroft. I hope u and your girl are feeling better. Sucks when cops aren't there if you need em and are if you dont . I guess they're busy helping more major wrecks in the freeway.

I hope someone or somehow that A** gets caught, i hate it when people do stupid things and get away with it.

And I agree with the Socal drivers Id**t during rain 100%. Especially those big SUV's!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Banned

REALLY sucks flitcroft, hopefully you guys wont be injured from this. As you know, injuries from being rear-ended sometimes pop up later so hopefully you guys will be ok. I have seen a lot of accidents lately as well in so-cal since the rain started.

Quick Reply: DAMN, I never seen so many accidents