California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

collection expert

Old 12-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default collection expert

okay about .. a year ago, i received a letter from this collection agency requesting a payment from someone w/ identical name. so i called to dispute to tell them that they got the wrong person. supposedly this person owe target credit an amount of $1000. a month later, i receive another letter from different collection agency regarding target credit. about 6 months ago, i moved. those bastards found my new address from postal office and they are bugging me again... now i'm getting mails from collection agencies regards to capital one credit card, target, and other bull sh*t...

what can i do to stop this.. i can't keep up calling different agencies to agencies...
Old 12-10-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-11-2010, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't answer calls and ignore the letters?
Old 12-11-2010, 03:35 AM

Its not those debt collectors you should be worried about, but your identity...are you sure it wasn't stolen?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vhin,Dec 11 2010, 05:35 AM
Its not those debt collectors you should be worried about, but your identity...are you sure it wasn't stolen?

You should run a credit check to see, any additional activity with your SSN #. Something similar happened to someone i know, it is a great deal of work to clear your name. And after that, you have to be watching your credit and personal information a lot closer. So the sooner you start the better. BTW, i don't think ignoring the letters/calls is going to do anything.

What do you think the other guy is doing? Hes probably glad, you're dodging the calls, because the credits/collectors thinks, you're the right guy. So with that being said, i would call the creditors/collectors and prove to them you're not the same guy.

Good luck to ya, Young.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 PM

wow, start at square one....

make sure your identity isnt stolen.

When I use to goto UCR, the professor and one of his assistance stole a whole bunch of students information, including SSN's and they used this info to buy lots of stuff before they were caught. I believe around 2k students were hit, and had to clear their records.

So,
Start w/ this first to make sure it isnt really you.

then go from there...

good luck,
we're all counting on you!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:03 PM

I checked my credit and there is nothing there that doesn't belong to me.. however soon or later it will show up if these ppl keep sends me the letter.. neway is there a way to stop from these bastards to stop harassing me.. I should hire an attorney and start suing collection agencies nation wide.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:09 PM

Tell them that you're not the person they are looking for and if they continue to contact you then you're going to take legal actions. Since you have letters from these companies you have their addresses and proof that they are harassing you for something that you're not responsible for.

For example, I keep on getting calls for some dude named Donald Spencer, and I keep on telling them that if they call me one more time I am going to sue their asses. Well, it works until the next company buys that bad debt a few years later and the cycle repeats

One guy even goes as far as this "Well, this is impossible. This is the number he gave us. How can you not be him?" I gave him a few sec and said "This guy owes you money, and you're trying to find him using the phone. What could he be possibly thinking giving you the WRONG number?"
Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys..... there's federal protection with this!
SEND THIS LETTER CERTIFIED MAIL TODAY. If they respond after to you further you SUE THEM!!!!

This is called a Drop Dead Letter

(Date)

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been contacted by your company about a debt you allege I owe. I am instructing you not to contact me further in connection with this debt. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, a federal law, you may not contact me further once I have notified you not to do so.

Sincerely,

(Name)

(Account No.)
Old 12-13-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Dec 13 2010, 02:15 PM
Guys..... there's federal protection with this!
SEND THIS LETTER CERTIFIED MAIL TODAY. If they respond after to you further you SUE THEM!!!!

This is called a Drop Dead Letter

(Date)

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been contacted by your company about a debt you allege I owe. I am instructing you not to contact me further in connection with this debt. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, a federal law, you may not contact me further once I have notified you not to do so.

Sincerely,

(Name)

(Account No.)
Does this work with the scenario I provided above? Seriously, ever year or so I get calls for that moron Donald Spencer and after I get nasty the calls stop until a different agency buys the debt.