California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

coilover installation help?

Old 11-16-2004, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coilover installation help?

anyone out there want to help me install some tein RA's on my car?

i don't go under the hood very often, but i would like to start. if anyone can show me how to put these bad boys in, i will pay you a reasonable asking price.

the catch: i also don't have a garage or tools.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty basic. You'll need the following:

Helm's Service Manual: Honda S2000 2000-2004
3/8" socket wrench
2 3/8" x 3" extensions
3/8" torque wrench (needs to go up to 76 lb-ft at least)
14mm 3/8" socket
17mm closed-end wrench
jack
jackstands x 4
breaker bar
?? 17mm 3/8" socket ?? <-- not sure
?? 14mm closed end wrench ?? <-- not sure

These are all basic tools you'll need if you're going to do ANY work on your car, so I recommend going ahead and purchasing them.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:47 PM

Other useful tools, for other jobsL 10mm socket, 12mm socket, (brakes) 19mm socket (wheels), 10, 12, 14, 17mm wrenches (various)
Old 11-16-2004, 09:59 PM

first of all, thank you for the supplies list. it feels like i am back in school. actually i do have most of the wrenches, just not the torque wrenches. guess i should go get that helm's.

i don't work under the hood much so to me it is major surgery. by the sound of how you can so easily tell me what i need to do the job, i can imagine you have done this before and visualize it in your head as a simple job, but i could be wrong. however, that is not what is going on in my head as it is a little foreign down there for me, but you gotta start somewhere right?

in my search for the DIY's i see other members have done it on their first try, and i might try it myself if i have to, but i don't wanna have to do that as my confidence would be higher if someone else who knew what was going on was around.

thanks though.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:05 PM

I had a couple very experienced people to help me my first time. Second time I did it on my own. Actually, I just read through my Helm's manual and it doesn't come close to the right procedure for a coilover swap. I'd be happy to help, but I just don't have the time right now. I guess if you want to come out to Fontana this Saturday, I can help when I'm in between runs.

Just remembered a couple more required tools:
A 14mm deep well socket with a magnetic insert.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:06 PM

"Disposable" torque wrenches are $20 at Harbor Freight.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:14 PM

PM sent.

If you do it yourself, here are some more important tips:
1. put all the bolts/nuts that you take off in ONE place, where it will not tip over into someplace you cannot reach and where you will not kick it.

2. put all of your tools in ONE place too. It doesn't matter if it's on the floor, as you can't kick a tool that far

3. do NOT start when it is dark outside OR when you car is halfway out of the garage so that you cannot close your gargae. Should some horrible accident happen (like you don't do #1 and end up losing a few nuts and bolts) then you'll want time to go buy new ones while the stores are still open OR at the very least, be able to close your garage so you can go to bed until the stores do open. Besides, it's alot easier to use sunlight than to use a flashlight.

4. Do the hardest one first (rear driver side) because if you do the other 3 and you can't finish the last one for some reason, then you have to go back and UNDO the other 3 (or drive your car around while one corner is higher than the other three).

Those tips apply generally to ANYTIME you work on your car and will probably save you the most time. You can turn a 1 hour job into a 4 hour job if you spend 3 hours trying to remember where you put your wrench or a bolt, etc.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:17 PM

wow, thanks for the replies.

minboost2, got your pm. i can only do it on the weekends, and this weekend i am off to miami, and next weekend i am going to the vixen event. so i guess that means december, just wanted to throw it out there and get an early schedule. i will remember you guys for when i do it.

and payneinthe perhaps in a few weeks we can do this, maybe even at an event so i can do coilovers, and get to watch an event at the same time.

thanks guys, you will be hearing from me.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:37 AM

minboost2, you are the freakin man!!! Great guy, and you know your sh1t.

thank you for showing me how to put these suckers on.
would have taken less than 2 hrs if we didn't go to loews and burger king, but excellent install.

thank you.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:10 PM

feel free to pm me, you can use my garage and tools if ya want.

Quick Reply: coilover installation help?