California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Coilover install... 1 bolt = fail

Old 02-01-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you tightening the bolt on accident?

Hey, you never know lmfao
Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 PM

^ thats what i was thinking, lol
Old 02-01-2009, 07:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

had the same problem while working on another member's car... but the end all of bolts is an impact wrench. use it. you'll be done. we actually went through 2 17mm sockets, 1 extension, pb blaster, wd-40, breaker bar, torch, ice, bolt removal kit, the works. and then we got a hold of an impact wrench, spun it off first try.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A quick SNAP action as decribed is best.

You can always try heating the surrounding area but I'd avoid it being that it's a stressed component to some degree.

I'd use an impact gun personally at this point, but if you don't have access to that then the best way since its soaked is to....

A. If possible use a torch on the bolt to heat it quickly and rapidly, then let it cool. Skip this if you don't have a very hot source as you don't want the metal AROUND the bolt to heat. The idea is the expansion and shrinking of the bolt will break it loose somewhat. In general the method is heat AROUND the bolt and then Ice the bolt itself while the surrounding area is hot. On stressed parts I don't like heating them much.

B. Use a long cheater bar and pull up as described above rather then push down.

C. Get an impact gun. $16 dollars from harbor freight for a 1/2" drive!!!!!!!!! I just bought 4 tools yesterday from there they all work great for a total of under 50 dollars!!!! For that cost it's perfect for tools to take on off-roading trips w/ me ( I just installed on-board air to the jeep )

EDIT... now its $19.00 cause the sale is done but oh well. This is 250/ftlbs but remember these having a quick snap action act as though they are more like 350 ft/lbs. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=95310

This one is 425ft/lbs http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=94803

GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you the guy in cerritos that lives by the park?

If you are, i drove by your house a couple of times this afternoon with a red nsx and my dark blue civic hatch. I was wondering if you needed help but i had a superbowl party to go to. if you need help let me know. Im usually at the girlfriends house around the corner...
Old 02-01-2009, 07:50 PM

I also had this same problem, I just soaked the bolt in WD-40 and got a really huge breaker bar ,and just put all my weight on the breaker. it eventually came loose
Old 02-01-2009, 08:01 PM

Dude are you sure that your are loosing the right side, because the other side is welded, you need to loosen the bolt side not the nut. it's only 47 lbs of torque on the that bolt. good luck!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toms1320' date='Feb 1 2009, 09:01 PM
Dude are you sure that your are loosing the right side, because the other side is welded, you need to loosen the bolt side not the nut. it's only 47 lbs of torque on the that bolt. good luck!
first thing came to my head as well

the oem damper has a welded on nut on one side and bolt on the other

usually breaker bar with steel pipe did it for me but for bigger job i used my 60 gallon compressor with 600 lb of tq impact gun
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 PM

oh.. it's a piece a cake... until u stripped it... now u gotta drill that out.. unless if it's still in good shape..

you didn't have the right tool..
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sinji' date='Feb 1 2009, 08:26 PM
are you the guy in cerritos that lives by the park?

If you are, i drove by your house a couple of times this afternoon with a red nsx and my dark blue civic hatch. I was wondering if you needed help but i had a superbowl party to go to. if you need help let me know. Im usually at the girlfriends house around the corner...
Hey Sinji, yup that was me! That NSX was so sexy (sorry for the lack of a better term) and sounded awesome. I peeked out of my garage to watch you drive down the street. I've seen it a few times when I drove out of my neighborhood toward South St. and can't help but stare at it. But yea I had to give up on the installation to watch the super bowl as well. I was pretty bummed. If you could help me out for five minutes whenever you're in the area to get that stupid bolt off it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I was trying to "pull" it off too much instead of giving it a nice sharp hit. I will try kicking the wrench/breaker bar off with once forceful move. I was pulling up, pushing down, using the breaker bar where it would fit (my car was only on jack stands on a low height since I had to use the emergency jack so there wasn't much clearance underneath). So on the front left, I can't use a breaker bar since my brakes are in the way. I also know that one side is welded and I am sure I was turning it the right way . I got the A-arm bolts out and I also tried pushing the other way just to make sure. Both way, no nudge. I think whoever installed the springs on the stock shocks for the previous owner tightened them way more than 47lbs of torque. I will beat the bolt though, but now I have to wait a week until I have enough time again. Thanks again everyone and it also sucks that I lost money on the super bowl. Two negatives tonight, sighhhhh!

Quick Reply: Coilover install... 1 bolt = fail