California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Coilover install... 1 bolt = fail

Old 02-01-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover install... 1 bolt = fail

So I tried to install my coilovers today that I picked up from Omar and researched the DIY job and bought all required sockets and parts necessary all while smiling the whole morning in excitement. Everything is going as planned then the one bolt on the lower front shocks won't budge. Soaked it with wd-40, PB blaster, and tapped it to vibrate it a bit. I let it sit for 5-10 minutes and tried again to no avail. In the end, the bolt did not budge at all despite using my legs, arms, pulling, pushing... you name it, I tried it. Both of my 17mm sockets stripped and my 17mm wrench bent (yes it's a cheaper one I bought from pep boys). I really want to do this myself so I can add it to my car DIY resume and knowledge and I don't want to have to take it into and pay a shop to do it because of one stupid bolt.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the bolt out or would anyone be able to help me out with the coilover install? The previous owner put aftermarket springs on and it seems like whoever did it before torqued the bolt a bit too much (either that or it rusted like crazy somehow). Sorry for the long story but just wanted to vent that I wasted 3 hours and missed the beginning of the super bowl with nothing to show for it but dirty hands and a cut on my arm... argh!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:45 PM

dont pull on it harder and harder. you want to try to break it free all at once, so i would either hit the wrench with something heavy or use some sort of extension for the wrench handle and push hard, all at once, like a burst. when bolts dont come out for me, i usually result to finding a position i can put my body in and kicking the wrench really hard lol.

edit: another idea is what i used the other day is use a german car's tire iron because thats 17mm and it wont strip for sure lol. i used my friend's audi tire iron and stuck a long extension inside the end of it for more leverage.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:55 PM

use a breaker bar as leverage

-a
Old 02-01-2009, 03:01 PM

Thanks guys. I used a metal bar to slide over my socket for leverage to no avail. I also kicked the wrench and socket wrench. There isn't enough room underneath to kick it with a metal bar over the socket. I will try to use some "explosive" power and break it loose and good idea on the tire iron. Will try that as well

If that fails, then I guess I will have to purchase a breaker bar. So many things to buy...
Old 02-01-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol i ran into this problem a week ago. You basically need to soak the bolt in wd40 and use a breaker bar. There is no other way without power tools.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for a torch and vise grips
Old 02-01-2009, 03:19 PM

Use a pipe as a breakerbar or use a rubber hammer. or better yet. a breaker bar and rubber hammer. get creative
Old 02-01-2009, 04:42 PM

make sure youre using a 6pt socket when dealing with stuck bolts.

you will round out the bolt with a 12pt if its really stuck on there.

when using a long cheater bar, its best to pull up, not push down or jump on it. you can dead lift more than you weigh and its safer.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:51 PM

leverage or take a rubber mallet to the wrench.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:58 PM

go to the gym, do some curls, and try again...haha..jk...i agree with a breaker bar, you could get one from harbor freight for less than 10 bucks...gl

Quick Reply: Coilover install... 1 bolt = fail