California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Clutch Replacement + Weird Feeling Pedal

Old 01-21-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch Replacement + Weird Feeling Pedal

Hi guys

My clutch completely died on me yesterday and I'm in need of a new clutch install. I've located a Exedy OEM clutch kit for sale, as well as a place to install it.

My question is....do I need to buy anything besides the clutch kit? I'm guessing from the "kit" I should have all that I need. But I've never had to replace a clutch before, so I just wanted some expertise on the boards

It was sooo scary driving my car back home last nite. I had to literally "pump" the clutch 3 times to try to get into gear because my clutch pedal became "soft" and there was no resistance. Is this a common issue with a burned out clutch?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 01:16 PM

Edit this a bit: It sounds more like the hydraulics have gone bad instead of the clutch itself, unless youre sure the clutch is bad? You probably need one of a few things. First id try bleeding the clutch. If that doesnt work you might have a damaged clutch master or slave. Look into those before you needlessly change your clutch. Will save you a lot of labor and a lot of money.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason I don't think this is a result of a "burned out clutch." It sounds like you lost pressure in the master/slave cylinders. It could be a result of a leak of clutch fluid. Go check to see if there is any fluid left in your reservoir. If you have a leak then you should try bleeding the clutch fluid and replacing it with new fluid. Then try to track down your leak. You might just have to buy a new master or slave clutch cylinder.

If your clutch was really out then it would be "slipping." If your clutch is slipping you would know because while you're in gear and trying to accelerate the clutch will "slip" and the RPM's would go up but not your speed. Hope that helps.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya sounds like a fluid issue or PUMPING would never ave helped.

You have a leak.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:23 PM

With a "burned out clutch," you'll notice a relatively same feeling in the clutch pedal as if it were functionaling normal. The only difference that is definitely noticeable is when you accelerate once releasing the clutch that it doesn't engage immediately. What happens is the rpm's will raise and the clutch slips.

With your symptom, it sounds to me you have a hydraulic issue. Just like previously stated, I would probably have your clutch fluid bleed to release any possible air in the lines first, then check the slave and clutch master cylinder.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM

Where are you located at? I might be able to lend a hand if youd like some help
Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM

yeah guys

i checked the cylinder that the clutch pedal was connected to, and i did see a glob of black grease/oil coming out. Sound like a broken master cylinder?

is that fixable or do i have to replace the entire assembly?

also, the reason i thought my clutch was dying/died was because my friend said my engagement point was reallly high versus what he's used to. I'm currently running a Exedy Street Clutch, but I bought the car with that so I wasn't sure what it is versus OEM clutch. Also reversing was a bit weird because it sounded like it was "slipping" whenever I reverse up my driveway.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:30 PM

You can rebuild a master. And while ive never done it on an s2000 myself, i find USUALLY it is easier to replace the master versus rebuilding. The engagement concern can be a couple of things, all clutches grab at a different point- But you can adjust the linkage on the back of the pedal to change this.

When a clutch starts to slip it will always slip in the highest gears first easier than it will in the lower gears.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by S2kBear' date='Jan 21 2009, 02:25 PM
yeah guys

i checked the cylinder that the clutch pedal was connected to, and i did see a glob of black grease/oil coming out. Sound like a broken master cylinder?

is that fixable or do i have to replace the entire assembly?

also, the reason i thought my clutch was dying/died was because my friend said my engagement point was reallly high versus what he's used to. I'm currently running a Exedy Street Clutch, but I bought the car with that so I wasn't sure what it is versus OEM clutch. Also reversing was a bit weird because it sounded like it was "slipping" whenever I reverse up my driveway.
I would put my concers with replacing the clutch master first before dropping the transmission, cheaper and easier, then check into the clutch pedal, but again if you have air in the lines which you obviously do, it might help.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:39 PM

hey Sideways

I'm located in Los Angeles, but for this situation I think I may have to probably find a place to replace/fix the master. I do appreciate the offer for help!

It's just weird how randomly it just died one morning before i even drove to work.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement + Weird Feeling Pedal