California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Checking out a litter of puppies this weekend

Old 07-16-2010 | 03:30 PM

Here's a S-3 Certification test. The dog is shown starting by finding a guy behind multiple blinds, when found he corners him and holds him. It's all about ultimate protection and control.[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzn_ylrKJbI [/media]

Note the happy wagging tail? This is NOT an aggressive dog, you can call this dog off and have it tend to a infant child without worry. This is the dogs version of "play" and YOU the handler decide when play time starts and ends.
Old 07-16-2010 | 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Jul 16 2010, 03:25 PM
I'd say almost NEVER get a pitt from a place like that..... and I'd generally avoid all dogs from places like that if it will be around family etc..... regretfully so

Highly doubt it'll even be a pitt when they say so it'll just be some bully breed that was bred by morons.

** Crate training is using a little crate to potty train and train other things.

Just put the dog in the crate at 8 weeks. Take the dog out every hour after saying something like "need to go outside?". The dog may or may not go but try to make them just go a little no matter what. If you feed, within 10min make sure you try again to get them to go #2. Keep taking the dog out every hour as much as possible. The dog will start to associate the idea of outside = potty time. By 2 weeks later you should have a pretty well potty trained dog. If you'd like to have it ring a bell like mine, simply jingle the bell a few times yourself before opening the front door. You'll be excited the first time you see your dog jingle the bell on it's own to go! NEVER EVER PUNISH YOUR DOG FOR A MISTAKE IF YOU WEREN'T THERE TO OFFER A SOLUTION!!!! A puppy is only going to understand the punishment if it's done within 1-3 seconds after the mistake. Otherwise you are being mean to your dog!!!! Focus on rewarding good behavior instead of punishing bad if possible. Also you and physically punish a dog better by multiple quick short pops of the leash until it does what you want rather then striking it out of anger. They will respond much better and not take it personally.

Generally speaking for ALL training the more the dog sits in that little box, the better. Working dogs like mine get about 15 min morning and 15 min night out of the crate. This is normal and expected for under 1 year especially. Working dogs don't get to "play", instead they consider work to be "play" and thus work harder and learn faster because its directed well. They tend to also be very happy dogs which might come as a surprise. My dog gets a day off because I'm too nice and she gets to go on a walk with me or something of that nature since shes now almost 9 months.

** KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH AT ALL TIMES! EVEN IN THE HOUSE IF POSSIBLE!

The more consistent you are with heeling etc. the sharper and faster this dog will respond. You can't expect a dog to understand WHEN it is time to mind and listen to you so don't be unfair, teach your dog to listen at all times instead. After a year or so you'll be able to trust it off leash and when a car comes down the street you'll know you can safely call your dog out of the road!
Greg -

What is work for your dogs? Can you be a bit more specific on what you do when the dog is out of the crate?
Old 07-16-2010 | 06:29 PM

That is an excellent question, but you have validated my suggestion. Go get a quality book on Labs and read it before you take this any further. Never buy a dog just because you "like" the breed by its looks. Know the breed, its temperament, characteristics and health/excercise needs.

You like most of us when we got our first dogs have a lot to learn. A quality book will give you a handy resource you can continully refer back to.
Will do. I actually did decide on a lab after careful consideration of activity amount, shedding, temperament, friendliness, etc. Passed up on a lot of really sweet german sheps, huskies, etc along the way on purpose . Nonetheless, do you recommend any pup books specifically?

FOR SURE AVOID DOG PARKS AND DOG BEACHES! Besides things like Papiloma virus (think genital warts that are SUPER contagious) they can get many diseases. Not only that but generally 90% of dog owners have no EFFING clue what they're doing and if a accident occurs.... you're often SOL. Take your dogs around other family members dogs and such that you know are legit. Don't take a risk it's not worth it. INTRODUCE ASAP!!!!!!! to humans to dogs, to everything. We're looking for a dog that is independent and self-confident.

NEVER feed cooked meat to a cat or dog, you WILL shorten it's life span and do it perm damage from doing so.

As for what to feed. Think of what you eat yourself in terms of meet, have some lean steak and some chicken and a raw egg (shell and all). Don't forget, ORGANS ARE GREAT FOR DOGS! some kidney and liver etc MMMM ALL RAW though!!! Avoid raw fish, especially salmon as it's full of a parasites. Also be aware that as you raise the level of raw food from 10% up to 66% or whatever you choose it takes a little time for the stomach bacteria and enzymes to get ready so ramp it up over a few weeks time slowly.

I don't have a set thing I feed, I let it vary because in the wild it would vary.
Health insurance is $65 per month PLUS the deductible which ranges from $50-75 per vet visit. Do the math and determine if it makes sense for you.

Puppy quarantine lasts 16 weeks for most dogs. They must have all their shots first and then generally can experience the world a week or two after their last set of shots. Your vet will guide you through the timeline.
Awesome info, thanks guys. Keeping it home for the first few months should make life a bit simpler so no complaints there lol.

Dog: Consider adopting since you dont care about having papers. Besides, they come fully vaccinated and spayed/neutered AND microchipped! Due to the economy, there has been an overflow of puppies/dogs going to shelters, so Im sure you will find one you absolutely love!

Insurance: I highly recommend you do ALOT of research on this one. If you read the reviews that people post on animal forums, most of these insurance companies will find ways to deny your legit claims. So far, Banfield (the vet inside PetsMart) has the best reviews - I guess because a major co (petsmart) is linked to them, they have to stand by their policies a bit better?
Yeah, like I said I've visited shelters about 10 times now and all I ever find are older aged rotts/pitts or young chihuahua's or mutts. Never found a nice young pure lab/golden retriever/pitt, etc that I've been looking for .

Thanks for the insurance info, sounds like if I do end up getting it I'll seriously consider Petco's first as they sound to be the most established/non-finnicky.
Old 07-16-2010 | 08:26 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,Jul 15 2010, 09:34 PM
Lab= you need a yard.

American Lab= Hyper most of the time. They need to be exercise daily, or they can be destructive.

English Lab= Bigger face, less active as american.

Having a pet is like having a child. Buy pet health care insurance, follow the guidelines, and try to keep your pets indoors.

A pet is a lifetime "infant". You need to take care of them, pick up their poop, pee, and importantly train them. If you are thinking about leaving your pets (outdoor) be aware that they can and will bark. If you work 8-10 hours a day with no help, and leaving them in the backyard, then you might want to think twice.

Animal control for noise pollution is no fun.
I agree with this completely, but I'll add if you weant to go for a pure bred dog, consider going to a repuatble breeder, not a backyard breeder like you are dealing with now. A reputable breeder will give a health guarantee on the puppy. You will have a better idea of the health background of the puippy from the parents and when you are dealing with larger dogs(I have Rottweilers), you have to consider hips and elbows right from day 1.

If you aren't set on a purebred, go to a rescue, as you are still getting a health gaurentee and the dog will already be neutured.
Old 07-16-2010 | 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by OverBooster,Jul 16 2010, 12:15 PM
Some other answers to your questions:

Neutering should cost you $30-70. No more.

Pet Insurance is a waste. It does not cover routine visits, minor illnesses (because of the deductible) or genetic diseases. It only pays off if your pup gets some weird serious disease or a major injury like a broken leg, hit by a car, etc..

A puppy is like a newborn baby that already walks!! Yes it will be a FULL TIME JOB!!

The average annual cost of a dog is several thousand dollars. This includes food, vet visits, toys, treats, bedding, etc.. It all adds up!!
i disagree. ive been working with animals for 10 yrs. pet insurance is not a waste. trust me its help alot of clients. care credit is also a plus. and neutering your dog for $30-70, only at the shelter and maybe at low cost clinics.
Old 07-17-2010 | 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Jul 16 2010, 09:57 AM
You can start training pups at 2 weeks old on a very basic level. Yet like said above. Don't pull em from the mom before 8 weeks.

Also good advice on the vaccines, wait like he said. My own $.02 here is that less vaccines = better. Just do the major ones he listed, don't be sold on pumping your young pup full of vaccines and crap early.

For food, I'd start feeding raw if you can afford it and have the time. Raw meet + raw veggies is far better than any kibble alone. I feed 66% raw and 33% blue buffalo brand (has a wolf on the front at petsmart) which has the highest protein content you can buy and ABSOLUTELY NO GRAIN FEEDS SUCH AS CORN!!!. I give vitamins as well and especially vitamin E. Also VEGGIES! My pup loves her broccoli and other common veggies. In the wild dogs will kill their prey and will first eat the stomach region of their prey which typically includes partially digested veggies! This is the BEST POSSIBLE, mother nature knew best. We can't replicate partially digested veggies however, so the next realistic bit is veggies steamed for 1 minute on high. I never give my dog doggy treats, a simple piece of frozen broccoli in very small pieces will have the dog doing any tricks you ask. She doesn't even know what treats are and I'll keep it that way.

The debate of BARF/RAW diet goes on forever. Go to Europe and you'll find the top working dogs in the world are all fed this raw diet. It shouldn't take a genius to look at a dogs teeth and recognize they shouldn't be eating grains or things like corn. Have you ever seen a dog grazing in the wheat field like a cow? NO!!!! The dogs digestive system has changed very little since it's ancestors the wolf etc. ALSO!!!! YOU WON'T FIND NATRUAL/RAW/BARF FED DOGS THAT ARE OBESE!!! You also will find less of the typical probs, cancer, arthritis etc. by feeding raw. The truth of the situation is these dog food companies could give a shit less about your dog, feeding grains in their product is cheaper then protein and they make more money this way. That's all there is to it. Don't be fooled, follow instincts and look at the teeth of this animal. This isn't hype IMO, it's very straight forward.

10000000% AGREE ON NO DOG PARKS ETC! Keep your puppy safe at home, playing around the house and yard is plenty of running for these joints that aren't ready for work yet.
as far as feeding veggies are good but not all viggies are safe. onions are a no no. fruits are good too. apples, bananas, and even carrots. rasin or grapes can cause renal problems. chocolate is toxic to both cats and dogs. i would ask all the questions u have to a vet, also let him or her know that its ur first dog and they will be more then happy to educate you. corn is actually a big hype people have made a deal about. some vets actually consider corn not not be harmful towards animal. we eat corn right? as far as raw diet thats debatable. would u eat raw meat? sure u can argue wild animals like big wild cat, wolfs, eagles, ect eat raw meat but there stomachor digestive system are different. ask a vet and see what they tell you. to the op honestly your best resources is you local reputable vet.....
oh yeah i would stay away from banfield hospitals.