California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Checking out a litter of puppies this weekend

Old 07-16-2010 | 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by megathunder,Jul 16 2010, 04:17 PM
What is crating?
That is an excellent question, but you have validated my suggestion. Go get a quality book on Labs and read it before you take this any further. Never buy a dog just because you "like" the breed by its looks. Know the breed, its temperament, characteristics and health/excercise needs.

You like most of us when we got our first dogs have a lot to learn. A quality book will give you a handy resource you can continully refer back to.
Old 07-16-2010 | 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by megathunder,Jul 16 2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for all the great advice! How much will it run me to get the full board of vaccinations and neutering? Why do you say don't walk the pup but go ahead and take it to a beach/park? At what age should I be fine with introducing it to other dogs and such?

What type of raw meat? White or red? So I guess raw steamed veggies + raw meat + supplementary dog food =

Thanks! I'll definitely make sure the living conditions are up to par. The guy says he has the dogs staying at his mother's place so I hope she's been taking good care of them. I'll definitely check the dog I choose upside down and will plan a vet visit very soon to get things started with a proper medical history and whatnot. No other dog has been in this house for at least 7-8 years so there should be no virus worries. How long should I quarantine him inside for?

As far as health insurance goes I guess it's either the full coverage ~$65/month or bust?
I know little about vet prices, sister in-law works in one so I only know our prices.

As for not walking... prior to 1yr or so the joints such as hips aren't hardened or ready for hard work, if you work your dog hard early you can get hip or elbow dysplasia and such.

FOR SURE AVOID DOG PARKS AND DOG BEACHES! Besides things like Papiloma virus (think genital warts that are SUPER contagious) they can get many diseases. Not only that but generally 90% of dog owners have no EFFING clue what they're doing and if a accident occurs.... you're often SOL. Take your dogs around other family members dogs and such that you know are legit. Don't take a risk it's not worth it. INTRODUCE ASAP!!!!!!! to humans to dogs, to everything. We're looking for a dog that is independent and self-confident.

NEVER feed cooked meat to a cat or dog, you WILL shorten it's life span and do it perm damage from doing so.

As for what to feed. Think of what you eat yourself in terms of meet, have some lean steak and some chicken and a raw egg (shell and all). Don't forget, ORGANS ARE GREAT FOR DOGS! some kidney and liver etc MMMM ALL RAW though!!! Avoid raw fish, especially salmon as it's full of a parasites. Also be aware that as you raise the level of raw food from 10% up to 66% or whatever you choose it takes a little time for the stomach bacteria and enzymes to get ready so ramp it up over a few weeks time slowly.

I don't have a set thing I feed, I let it vary because in the wild it would vary.

<< last I read on parvo about it "lasting 7 years in a house" was complete BS and it's only a matter of months, check with a few sources including online on this >>
Old 07-16-2010 | 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by OverBooster,Jul 16 2010, 02:40 PM
That is an excellent question, but you have validated my suggestion. Go get a quality book on Labs and read it before you take this any further. Never buy a dog just because you "like" the breed by its looks. Know the breed, its temperament, characteristics and health/excercise needs.

You like most of us when we got our first dogs have a lot to learn. A quality book will give you a handy resource you can continully refer back to.
agree!

Temperament is huge, which is why I'm proud to say many post the American Pitt Bull Terrier in the Top 4 of all breeds Just a step above the good ol Golden Retriever.

Be careful on books though.... lots of horrible info too. I really suggest you look at working dogs a bit, I find that people into it are WAY more serious then just "dog trainers". There are people I know that own multiple dogs prized at 50k plus for their FUNCTION and abilities... you have to figure these people have got this down to a science.
Old 07-16-2010 | 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by megathunder,Jul 16 2010, 04:33 PM

Thanks! I'll definitely make sure the living conditions are up to par. The guy says he has the dogs staying at his mother's place so I hope she's been taking good care of them. I'll definitely check the dog I choose upside down and will plan a vet visit very soon to get things started with a proper medical history and whatnot. No other dog has been in this house for at least 7-8 years so there should be no virus worries. How long should I quarantine him inside for?

As far as health insurance goes I guess it's either the full coverage ~$65/month or bust?
Health insurance is $65 per month PLUS the deductible which ranges from $50-75 per vet visit. Do the math and determine if it makes sense for you.

Puppy quarantine lasts 16 weeks for most dogs. They must have all their shots first and then generally can experience the world a week or two after their last set of shots. Your vet will guide you through the timeline.
Old 07-16-2010 | 03:04 PM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEBFrGRUGxo [/media]

This is what my dog goes through. We started at around 12 weeks doing this. You can see this dog pictured is a pup to a degree but look at how it stares up at him the whole time, this is a dog working under "DRIVE". He is happy to please his owner and be a part of him. This is what we want, not a dog that's doing it out of fear etc. We do use Compulsion, we keep things positive. A good handler understand every movement and mood of his dog at all moments.

This particular part is called the BH (begleithund), it's a prerequisite to the more serious actual training. The word means "traffic sure". A dog with a BH is a dog you can walk off leash through a crowd of people and be sure the dog will be at your side no matter what happens, gun shots, other dogs, kids etc.

This is step one in Shutzhund.

After these kinds of pre-reqs you move on to Shutzhund 1. Then 2, then 3.

Most police dogs are only S-1 or S-2 at most. Stations can rarely afford a S-3 dog as your nearing the prices of a new S2000 quite easily.
Old 07-16-2010 | 03:19 PM
beb

Dog: Consider adopting since you dont care about having papers. Besides, they come fully vaccinated and spayed/neutered AND microchipped! Due to the economy, there has been an overflow of puppies/dogs going to shelters, so Im sure you will find one you absolutely love!

Insurance: I highly recommend you do ALOT of research on this one. If you read the reviews that people post on animal forums, most of these insurance companies will find ways to deny your legit claims. So far, Banfield (the vet inside PetsMart) has the best reviews - I guess because a major co (petsmart) is linked to them, they have to stand by their policies a bit better?
Old 07-16-2010 | 03:22 PM

^ I too have heard about many scam type moves by insurance companies on pets. I've no personal experience so I can't comment further.

If you do head to a adoption place, take someone with you who knows what they're looking for even if they don't know the breed.
Old 07-16-2010 | 03:24 PM
beb

I dont think there is any real regulation for pet insurance.......

Oh and Greg - I too feed my doggy Blue Buffalo. Good stuff!
Old 07-16-2010 | 03:26 PM

Old 07-16-2010 | 03:29 PM
beb

Oh, forgot - Trupanion (Petco) might be okay since they have Petco backing...... Also, ASPCA offers insurance too.

Just do alot of reading, call them and get info. Pet insurance (if legit) can be extremely helpful!

Quick Reply: Checking out a litter of puppies this weekend