California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Check Engine light on

Old 10-17-2005, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light on

dont know why??? the car is a 2002, 15K miles, driven very conservatively. The only thing I can see that would trigger it is, a recent oil change i did myself, (mobile synthetic oil and filter) and K&N drop in air filter (correctly installed). What is odd is that the light didnt come on until yesterday, about 300 miles later (car drives perfect, temp fine, oil level is fine).

took it to the Honda dealer and they mentioned that it was my loose gas cap, and once its tightened it will be alright. well, it hasnt corrected itself yet after 50 miles later. does anyone know what else might trigger it or a quick fix? dont want to go back to a honda dealer and have them charge me $90 to reset something. Anyone know of a local shop in OC that can take a quick look and cheap fix? How about Honda World in Westminster, heard they do great stuff for S2000 buyers, can anyone cut me a break?

Thanks,
Khue
khuezee@hotmail.com
Old 10-17-2005, 06:00 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183490

take the black (negative) wire off the battery, and go under the dash and pull out the 7.5amp back up fuse...you will see on the picture on the link above...good luck.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:15 PM

You can get the codes pulled at Autozone. I that Autozones aren't allowed to pull the code for you anymore but some will let you use the code-puller yourself.

I don't know about you, but I would want to know if there was actually something wrong with my car.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:16 PM

You only actually have to do one or the other to reset the ecu. Just remember if you disconect the battery your radio will lose all the preset stations, and it will ask for the security code when you turn it on again. I would just pull the backup fuse.

I don't know about you, but I would want to know if there was actually something wrong with my car.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:45 PM

Turn the key all the way on (DON'T hit the start button) and press and hold the Trip button for 30 seconds or so...The light should go off.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by BobsS2000,Oct 17 2005, 06:45 PM
Turn the key all the way on (DON'T hit the start button) and press and hold the Trip button for 30 seconds or so...The light should go off.
That's for the "Maintainance Required" light, Bob... LOL
Old 10-17-2005, 07:06 PM

Thats for the maint' required light

EDIT: You beat me to it cvc2nr
Old 10-17-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the code reader, if you are willing to drive down I can pull the code for you.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:53 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. I just got back from autozone, right before they were closing. had to finish watching surface (man, i love that shot. chic is soo damn hot). anyways, i pulled the code from their reader.

it was P1456

got the code meaning from this link, i was doing research on (has pop ups, but worth it, should bookmark for future use):

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshoo...bl_obd_main.htm

P1456 Leak Detected In EVAP Control System (Acura, Honda)

My guess, is it was the gas cap. geez, thanks for the help. probably saved me $90 at the Honda dealer, and that was just for them to diagnose it. God knows how long they wouldve charged me to fix it...haha. it took me 5 seconds to hit the erase code button on the OBD scanner and to clear it out.

Thanks,
Khue
Old 10-17-2005, 09:33 PM

No prob man... I've been through the whole CEL dilemma before with the s2k, except mine threw codes for misfires on all four cylinders... jeez!!

Turned out something broke in the head and the entire head was replaced under Honda Care. SCORE!!

Quick Reply: Check Engine light on