California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Car Won't Start

Old 04-23-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Won't Start

Whats up everybody. Ive got a problem that seemed to have just happened out of the blue on my 2002 ap1. Drove the car yesterday to take care of some things and car was driving fine. As Im about to leave today, I go to unlock it but the remote wasn't working, so I manually open the car and when I put the ignition in and turn it, nothing happens. Dash lights don't come on, radio won't come on, the lights don't turn on, and the car won't start. Its like the car just completely died. Im trying to get this fixed immediately so I can make it to school. Any ideas on what this issue could be? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2015, 01:40 PM

Does ti make a clicking noise?
Old 04-23-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you left your lights on and it drained your battery.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by for_my_s2k
Does ti make a clicking noise?
No clicking noise.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:05 PM

Dead Battery
Old 04-23-2015, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Medrivfast
Dead Battery
Yeah most likely. The thing is the battery is only a year old, so I don't know what could have drained it so quick.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

First things first: confirm if you do indeed have a completely, totally flat battery. To not even fire up dash lights, that thing would have to be completely and totally beyond the pale dead. That's kind of rare.

Maybe you just have a bad connection. Remove the cables, clean the terminals, reconnect. Naturally, look for any signs of something wrong like bulging of the battery, etc.

If the battery is only one year old and you confirm that it truly is dead, then obviously something killed it. So then you get to track down what. Like did you leave your lights on? Do you have a parasitic draw off of something (after market sound system? alarm?). Is the charging system in the car functioning properly (alternator, etc)?

If it was me, my first call would be to autoclub (AAA) to come out and try to give me a jump. As part of their service, they run a check of the battery to see if it is good or not. And they travel with common sized batteries in their battery service vehicles so you can buy one on the spot if need be. No, their prices aren't the cheapest, but they are VERY freaking convenient and worth it.

Also... make use of the Under the Hood section of this web site. It's more heavily trafficked here and you'll get better and more responses.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

basic checks:
1. turn headlight on see if any light is coming from headlight (Turn off after power check)
2. interior lights? map lights
3. Clutch in?
4. have you bump started it?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

The key fob deactivates the anti theft/immobilizer. If the alarm isnt deactivated via the key fob you wont able to start the car.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
The key fob deactivates the anti theft/immobilizer. If the alarm isnt deactivated via the key fob you wont able to start the car.
Are you absolutely sure of that? I ask because I've always been under the impression that, unless one has added an alarm system, the standard issued OEM remote only locks and unlocks the doors and will activate the horn if you use the "panic" button. The immobilizer system is paired to the keys, not the fob. One can open the door with the keys and start the car just fine without the fob. I've done it on my own S2000, although I have to admit that mine is an '07. However, I did check the 2002 owner's manual online and the info in there regarding the remotes and the immobilizer being paired to the keys is the same as the '07.

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start