California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Can I Get a Ticket?

Old 12-21-2004, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Get a Ticket?

I was running late as I was approaching one of those stop lights with a red light camera. The light turned yellow so I gunned it. I fully entered the intersection while the light was yellow and the light turned red before I reached the other side, however, after I clearly was past the stop line. I am not sure how these cameras exactly work. Can I get a ticket for this?

I'd think not since I was in the intersection before the light actually turned red and yellow doesn't mean stop. But with CA revenue needing serious help, I am not sure how strict these things are setup.

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:02 PM

I may be wrong but last time I went to traffic school, they mentioned that at least one of your axles has to be past the line when the light turns red for it to be legal or "ok".

Old 12-21-2004, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember the flashes going off on me on wilshire near westwood. i was like oh $hit, but a ticket never came. so i guess it is possible that you won't get a ticket, but not certain.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:09 PM

If your front bumper has passed the second line of the cross walk you're in the clearing.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Give it about a month. If you don't receive anything in the mail your all good.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:47 AM

I believe that the rule is your front two wheels have to be in the intersection before the light turns red, without you needing to have sped up.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the responses. Given my entire car was well in the intersection and nearing the otherside, I would guess I should be okay.

Interesting comment Mossad made about not having to speed up. Does the system really monitor the change to your speed?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember a law about entering an intersection on a yellow.

Sidenote: Do any of you remember the old TAXI show when Reverend Jim had to go and take the written driver's test. The whole crew went with him for support, but he wanted their help on 1 question........

Jim: "What does a yellow light mean?"
Response: "Slow Down"

Jim: "What...does...a...yellow...light...mean?"
Response: "SLOW DOWN"

Jim: "Whhaaatt.....ddooooeeesss.....a....yeeelllloowww. ...liiiggghhhtt....mmeeeaann?"

.... You get the point. I can still hear the skit in my head. Funny stuff.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:27 AM

(Nearly?) all the tickets are reviewed by a human. The license plates are typed in by hand from a digital picture on the screen and the operator checks where your car is when the light turns red. If you're in the intersection you shouldn't trigger the camera, and if you do you shouldn't get a ticket.

Over 90% of the tickets in LA are processed by ACS (advanced computer systems?) in downtown LA by a single operator. One of my friends worked near the woman that had the horrible job of typing in license plates numbers all day long...
Old 12-22-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have two of these monstrosities along my commute.

They usually flash when they detect a car will likely run a red light. The cameras do this with sensors in the street before and in the intersection. On several occasions I noticed one flashing (Sherman Way and Winnetka) at passing cars while the light was still green. Bad Mojo.

They do estimate speed. I've deliberately changed my commute just to avoid them whenever possible.

Here's some pics:
http://www.mrtraffic.com/ticketcamera.htm

Quick Reply: Can I Get a Ticket?