California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Calling out Jay

Old 09-22-2008, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Calling out Jay

I entered into a sales agreement with Jay (aka jdmghostrider) for an authentic Mugen hardtop that I was selling. The terms of the agreement were as follows:

1. The sales price of the hardtop was $2700.
2. Jay paid $1500 down with the balance ($1200) due within 30 days.
3. I (very foolishly) allowed Jay to take "custody" of the hardtop and did not require any collateral. I had sold other items to him in the past and never had a problem. I thought he was a good guy and trusted him.
4. Jay had a number of items for sale, and the proceeds from any sale were to go to me to fulfill his debt.

It has now been over 60 days and Jay hasn't paid me another nickle. He has stated that he lost his job, got into a couple of car accidents and other unfortunate circumstances. If any of those circumstances are true I feel bad for him. However, since taking possession of my hardtop he has sold a set of wheels and did not pay anything towards the debt he owes me. Instead, I have learned that he had the hardtop repainted to match the rest of his car. I recent saw him post about buying stereo equipment for his car.

The last time I talked to Jay was last Tuesday (September 16th) when he told me that he was getting an insurance check and would have my money within a few days. It has almost been a week now and he hasn't given me the money. I've tried calling and texting him several times and he isn't responding. Again, if he is going through some rough times I truly feel bad for him but that doesn't negate his financial responsibility (I am not a family member, creditor, etc.) and the least he can do is maintain communications with me.

The last thing I wanted to do is create a thread like this, but Jay has backed me into a corner. All of SoCal needs to know about this sale and how shady Jay is acting. Please, if you have any interaction with Jay, let him know how he needs to man-up and repay his debt. Also, if you purchase anything from him, please understand that I would expect the proceeds to go directly to me until his debt is fulfilled.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM

Old 09-22-2008, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

arent you guys both in SD?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:14 AM

Lesson is: don't accept down payments. Cash in hand gets you the product.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope this gets resolved in a professional manner. 2QYK4U, Justin, is a great seller and cool dude. Jay's a good guy too, hope he mans up and pays his debt.

Thanks again for the door panels & center console Justin.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:21 AM

hope this is resolved well.

bought something from Jay before and he seemed like a good guy. Times are tough though....but that doesn't excuse not paying someone back esp after 60 days......
Old 09-22-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow monday drama.

hope everything works out good luck to you.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay is a cool guy....really seems strange of him, but you should have NEVER giving him the hardtop with over 1,200 left to pay , go to his house and get the hardtop back?....will see what happens
Old 09-22-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by lookuphere,Sep 22 2008, 12:21 PM
Times are tough though....but that doesn't excuse not paying someone back esp after 60 days......
The economy is very bad right now. We are all feeling it. I have a bunch of other real nice items that would have sold by now had the economy been better.

The least Jay can do is stay in constant communications with me and pay whatever he can until the debt is paid off. Shoot...$100 payments here and there is better than nothing. It is the effort of repaying a debt that matters the most.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by velocityracer,Sep 22 2008, 12:25 PM
go to his house and get the hardtop back?
Its not that simple. I don't have a written sales agreement. It is my word against his. Any physical attempt to get the hardtop back could result in confrontations with the law. The last thing I want to happen is for him to try and tell the police that I stole his hardtop. Only thing that can legally happen is for him to man-up and pay his debt.

Quick Reply: Calling out Jay