California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

cali job market and employment opportunities

Old 08-19-2010 | 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by asiantrick,Aug 19 2010, 08:33 AM
I know..lmao..my whole family went into medical field (asian u know how it is) My dumbass decides to do accounting. I mean, the job is easy but i wish I could get pay more. Same old shlt everyday.

My dad told me if u and your wife don't make over 150K. Your life will always be a grind and never be WELL-OFF.
You're dad and my dad are smarter than us.

I got the same story.
Old 08-19-2010 | 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by asiantrick,Aug 19 2010, 08:33 AM
My dad told me if u and your wife don't make over 150K. Your life will always be a grind and never be WELL-OFF.
you'll need more than that depending on how many littles ones you pop out!!
Old 08-19-2010 | 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by lilazngrl4o8,Aug 19 2010, 09:09 AM
UOP.. University of the Pacific? The one in Stockton? http://web.pacific.edu/

I heard Pharm/Med School in CA in general is pretty tough to get into. Lots of people apply within CA and people in other states want to come to CA so it gets really competitive.
UCSF. Best Pharm school in state, one of the best if not the best in the Nation.

Sister/bro in the law both graduated from there. Overbooster is correct also, extremely tough and competitive. Some people say Pharmacy school is nearly as difficult as medical school. It's 1/4 as expensive though.
Old 08-19-2010 | 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by asiantrick,Aug 19 2010, 09:21 AM
There's an easier route, where you can do all the courses at a community college then transfer out of state. Cheaper and you will still make alot of money.

My dad who is a psychiatric R/N explained to me but I didn't listen much.
Isn't out of state tuition enormous? There's RNs that just go to Cypress College. You can get a Bachelor's at a Cheaper Cal State also.
Old 08-19-2010 | 12:47 PM

To OP: I honestly feel 40k is pretty minimal here. 60k is maybe more a realistic target. However, 40k is ok to get by with some penny pinching and a roommate.

If you can more be specific as to what sector/industry you want to get into then let us know and we might be able to help more. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of random jobs being thrown your way. I didn't know the aerospace sector is booming locally. That's pretty cool to note. I know the Real Estate market is not and the Finance/Accounting area is still having a little of layoffs, though i've seen some increases in hiring here lately - slowly. Healthcare is always in demand...

Someone mentioned becoming an RN on here. It's not such an easy program to get into right way. The waiting list for RN programs were once quite long (1-2yrs) and that's just to get in, assuming you've met all the prereqs. RN is def a nice job to have. Good income, great hours.

If you're looking into getting your feet wet in the medical field I would start with becoming a Certified Phlebotomist. Go to a school such as www.regancareer.com and look at the programs for this or PM me. I know a little something about this field.
Old 08-19-2010 | 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ryu_2k3,Aug 19 2010, 01:47 PM
To OP: I honestly feel 40k is pretty minimal here. 60k is maybe more a realistic target. However, 40k is ok to get by with some penny pinching and a roommate.
and it's not getting any cheaper.
Old 08-19-2010 | 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ryu_2k3,Aug 19 2010, 12:47 PM

If you can more be specific as to what sector/industry you want to get into then let us know and we might be able to help more. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of random jobs being thrown your way. I didn't know the aerospace sector is booming locally. That's pretty cool to note. I know the Real Estate market is not and the Finance/Accounting area is still having a little of layoffs, though i've seen some increases in hiring here lately - slowly. Healthcare is always in demand...

Someone mentioned becoming an RN on here. It's not such an easy program to get into right way. The waiting list for RN programs were once quite long (1-2yrs) and that's just to get in, assuming you've met all the prereqs. RN is def a nice job to have. Good income, great hours.

If you're looking into getting your feet wet in the medical field I would start with becoming a Certified Phlebotomist. Go to a school such as www.regancareer.com and look at the programs for this or PM me. I know a little something about this field.
isn't Certified Phlebotomist only make around 30-35k?
Old 08-19-2010 | 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by asiantrick,Aug 19 2010, 01:36 PM
They start at around $15-20/hr I believe... so whatever that works out to per year so. I believe you're correct.

The only reason I suggested that to the OP was because it's relatively quick to become a CPT1 (Certified Phlebotomy Technician). It's 80hrs of classroom time which was broken down into a few weekends and 1 week's worth of clinical work. It's a good option to consider to get a feel for the healthcare industry (Allied Services) because it's relatively low initial investment in time and money and can be done while going to school or when working.

I mean there are other ways to get into healthcare before making the big commitment like going to RN school full time.

That's all...

btw... I also agree that becoming a PA is a good job. You basically do all the gruntwork of the doctor like see patients in a clinic or round on patients. Ultimately, the attending MD is the one who has the responsibility and the big malpractice insurance bills which is why they make the higher salaries. One becomes a doctor because of the love for the job.. it's not be rich. Much respect to them all!
Old 08-19-2010 | 01:54 PM

http://www.techniciansalaries.com/comparison/
Old 08-19-2010 | 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by asiantrick,Aug 19 2010, 01:36 PM
more like 20-23k range generally, and high looks like 27k.

Quick Reply: cali job market and employment opportunities