California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Ca. Vehicle Title (Pink Slip) - 62 Impala

Old 11-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Miss S2k,Nov 8 2009, 12:07 PM
I was able to go to the DMV and transfer the titles of all of the cars/motorcycles mty dad had in his name WITHOUT the special administration papers. I'm pretty sure you need them to do it but they didn't check so??
That's what I was afraid of...the DMV is totally lame and will transfer title to anybody, anytime without insisting on the proper documentation.

I'm gonna talk more with the son and see if he wants to fight. This all could have been avoided but someone went into a drunken rage and now there's been loss of face. It's ripping his dad's family apart. Plus, the son is feeling that his dad left him nothing which clearly wasn't the intent.

Thanks for the tips. Did you get the 'administrator/executor' forms off the web?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bert05GPW,Nov 8 2009, 12:36 PM
That's what I was afraid of...the DMV is totally lame and will transfer title to anybody, anytime without insisting on the proper documentation.

I'm gonna talk more with the son and see if he wants to fight. This all could have been avoided but someone went into a drunken rage and now there's been loss of face. It's ripping his dad's family apart. Plus, the son is feeling that his dad left him nothing which clearly wasn't the intent.

Thanks for the tips. Did you get the 'administrator/executor' forms off the web?
No no you have to petition it to the court for them to approve you as the special administrator executor. If you are approved then they will send them in the mail.

Can they find the title? If so, IMMEDIATELY photo copy it so they have record that the uncle didn't try to forge the signature. Then take it to the DMV and have them try to transfer the title into one or both of their names. Tell them to bring as much as identification that they have (inc. their license, decedent's license?, ss cards?, anything to prove that they are his kids) to prove who they are. The DMV will need a death certificate, has that been processed yet? If not, still try to get the title transferred. Hopefully they will get someone that doesn't know what they are doing (since it's not something they do every day, even though people pass every day?).

What they need to do RIGHT NOW is contact a probate lawyer. DMV is closed today and laywers have the day off so if they need to take tomorrow morning off to do it then so be it. That's the best thing to do. Avoid confrontations with the uncle as well since they can come back against him later and perhaps prohibit the courts from approving them as special administrators. They have to be very careful.

Surprising what money and grief does to people, eh?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:05 AM

Oh one question. Was he married at the time of his death?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Miss S2k,Nov 8 2009, 01:05 PM
Oh one question. Was he married at the time of his death?
Nope. Divorced.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bert05GPW,Nov 8 2009, 01:18 PM
Nope. Divorced.
Oh ok. Then his estate will be evenly split between the two kids. No one else (other than the attorneys and any creditors) will get anything.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Miss S2k,Nov 8 2009, 12:55 PM
No no you have to petition it to the court for them to approve you as the special administrator executor.

The DMV will need a death certificate, has that been processed yet? If not, still try to get the title transferred. Hopefully they will get someone that doesn't know what they are doing (since it's not something they do every day, even though people pass every day?).
The deceased's sister has the death certificate and pink slip -- she'll probably hand them over to the uncle. It's really messy.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bert05GPW,Nov 8 2009, 01:26 PM
The deceased's sister has the death certificate and pink slip -- she'll probably hand them over to the uncle. It's really messy.
OMG that's going to be really bad. I guess they need to do what they need to do to get those two items. That's so f ed up
Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 AM

How did they get the death cert and title? If illegally then they are so f ed!

Death certificate should have been either sent to decedent's house or sent to an address provided by the kids at the funeral home or cerematory.

This sounds like some Dr.Bill sh!t

getalawyergetalawyergetalawyergetalaywergetalaywer getalawyer
Old 11-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Miss S2k,Nov 8 2009, 01:42 PM
How did they get the death cert and title? If illegally then they are so f ed!
After he died, the deceased's sister talked to the hospital. Hmm...I was under the impression she got the death certificate on-site but maybe not. Hmm... I heard she ordered 5 copies. Hmm..

The deceased and his sister lived together. The sister claims that the pink slip is in a safety deposit box which they both have access to. Either way, the pink slip and death cert. will be in the hands of the sister who favors the uncle.

It gets more tangled... the son's mother is the ex-wife and won his pension in the divorce years and years ago. Well, she needs a copy of the death certificate to send to the pension company to redirect his retirement (monthly) payments to her. I'm told that if the deceased's sister, the son's aunt, doesn't give him a copy of the death certificate, he can order one because he's next of kin, and, of course, give it to his mother, the ex-wife.

What a mess.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A shot I took today.

Quick Reply: Ca. Vehicle Title (Pink Slip) - 62 Impala