California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Buttonwillow July 10th My short write up!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buttonwillow July 10th My short write up!

What's up guys! It was a great day yesterday. Hot but tolerable, and it didn't keep me from having a great time. I had tons of clean track time, although I wish I had encountered more S2k's while out on track. We all need to start gridding together! I started off the day with significantly more worn drivers side tires due to all the CW track days I have had. They seemed to have been holding up fine though, but not as good as they used to, being that they were pretty worn and this was their 5th day. I went out on the first session feeling completely lost! I guess I had forgotten what I had learned when I was there the only other time in May '10. But after a few laps I began feeling the track again and ended up with a best of 2:07.2 in the first session. The second session was awesome and I got plenty of clean laps again. This session I set my best lap for the day at 2:06.3, and was good enough for a 1st place finish in the Track Tuned class, with David (Takchi) close behind with a 2:07.7 in his beaufiul CR. Mmmmm I love that car! After my second session I made the decision to flip my wheels/tires to the opposite sides since I was killing the drivers side tires. They would now be running in the incorrect direction, which I was slightly concerned about haha. But thanks to Travis' encouragement I felt more comfortable with it. This swap turned out great and I was able to realize how much more grip I had on one side vs. the other! Now everything was turned around from the first two sessions. It made for an interesting drive, and I had to be cautious now on certain turns like sunset, sunrise, bus-stop and the left kink before Phil hill, or pretty much any of the higher speed left handers for that matter, but right handers were awesome now! Throughout the day I picked up on some better lines and also began realizing that I consistently don't brake as late as I could. After the third session Mike pointed out to me a better line through riverside that really could have helped out with my time in the morning! Thanks Mike! One thing I noticed that I tend to focus on a lot is maintaining full throttle as often as possible, and the lines that will allow me to do that as I setup with a previous corner, enter, and exit the intended corner. A few spots that I was able to maintain full throttle through were Bus-Stop (the kink after club corner), the kink/dogleg before Phil Hill, and through/exiting The Essses. If my lines weren't hit just right, it wasn't always possible, but when they were, it was extremely exciting!

Thanks for reading and I hope all that attended will chime in with their experiences!

-Street Sport-

1st Travis Wong: 2:10.xxx
2nd Albert Castro: 2:20.254
3rd David Castillo: 2:26.xxx
4th Tiffany Huang: 2:31.xxx

-Track Tuned-

1st Michael Nikkel: 2:06.347
2nd David Leung: 2:07.778
3rd Mike Kang 2:08.340
4th Bill Hinomoto 2:10.863
5th Ronald Ng: 2:16.138

-Super Modified-

1st Alex Peng: 2:03.332
2nd Arthur Moradian: 2:05.599
3rd Ron Chang: 2:06.5xx
4th Bosco Chu: 2:06.8
5th Zhong Guan: 2:07.263
6th Kevin Lui: 2:09.039
7th John Tran: 2:11.174

Sorry for the confusion and some of this being unclear guys. I had no organized way of doing this. 4 run groups times 4 sessions times many S2000's =

Michael
Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 AM

wish i was able to make it out yesterday.. i have some credit with XS right now too.. im going to run with speed ventures at BW at the end of the month for only $99! you guys should sign up for that.. and again for acs next month on the 14th!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 AM

i had a great time =D. first time out in an s2000... i need more time with this car. being used to driving underpowered cars, its little hard to adapt to the speed and braking. =D

going to SOW end of the month as well to get some more seat time in this car. =D
Old 07-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

@Mike ('09S2k): It was nice meeting you yesterday. I swear the passenger is 2 seconds! Just kidding. Your car is setup perfectly and it looks/sounds amazing as is. S2000s that are lightly tuned are the best! Maybe I need more front tire to compete against you!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ronny5
i had a great time =D. first time out in an s2000... i need more time with this car. being used to driving underpowered cars, its little hard to adapt to the speed and braking. =D

going to SOW end of the month as well to get some more seat time in this car. =D
Good Ron it was nice meeting you! Yeah the braking and overall handling of the S2000 is very impressive! It still amazes me what I am able to do while driving my car, and how my car responds to every thing that I do. Were you able to get any ride alongs with any of the other drivers?

Originally Posted by takchi
@Mike ('09S2k): It was nice meeting you yesterday. I swear the passenger is 2 seconds! Just kidding. Your car is setup perfectly and it looks/sounds amazing as is. S2000s that are lightly tuned are the best! Maybe I need more front tire to compete against you!
Yeah David you too!

Thank you! My car will remain as it is for a LONG time.

Was your fast lap with a passenger??? I better watch out for you haha! I wish we'd been on the track with eachother more than me passing you on the cool down lap! We could have had some good runs!

A bit more front would probably be perfect with the CR suspension/aero! Get those CR rears up front too. Or at least get two regular AP2V3's and run them on one side and the CR's on the other. No one would be able to tell
Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM

Im gonna sit along with ya, you're probably our best bet at non-aero 2:00 minute and we gotta get you there ASAP! Great times considering the weather!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by '09S2K
Originally Posted by ronny5' timestamp='1310410386' post='20767823

Good Ron it was nice meeting you! Yeah the braking and overall handling of the S2000 is very impressive! It still amazes me what I am able to do while driving my car, and how my car responds to every thing that I do. Were you able to get any ride alongs with any of the other drivers?

Yeah David you too!

Thank you! My car will remain as it is for a LONG time.

Was your fast lap with a passenger??? I better watch out for you haha! I wish we'd been on the track with eachother more than me passing you on the cool down lap! We could have had some good runs!

A bit more front would probably be perfect with the CR suspension/aero! Get those CR rears up front too. Or at least get two regular AP2V3's and run them on one side and the CR's on the other. No one would be able to tell
Yea my fast lap was with a passenger. My driver side tires started losing grip after that lap (it was about Lap 5) so I started to back off the throttle a bit to cool down the tires. However, the pace was fast enough that I was catching people and I lost the chance to run hard again.

My car needs a little more camber and a little more front tire to feel just right. Right now the car is setup very easy to drive. It's not the fastest setup, but rather a comfortable setup where you can push the car hard easily. To tell you how much understeer I'm getting, I'm running 1/16" total toe-in (rear) with more front camber than the rear on a 225/255 setup. The AP2V3 setup you speak of sounds like the Spoon cars with the yellow wheels on one side and blue wheels on the other side!

Everybody says they need to watch out for me, but my tendency is to drive what I'm comfortable with. I hope you and everyone at the XS event enjoyed listening to that Berk exhaust.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Squirtle
Im gonna sit along with ya, you're probably our best bet at non-aero 2:00 minute and we gotta get you there ASAP! Great times considering the weather!
Thanks Ameer! I definitely have some things to learn at Buttonwillow since I don't have much track time there, but once I figure it out...with a more optimal tire setup providing equal left/right grip, a passenger seat and better weather conditions I am hoping to drop a considerable amount of time off that

to the upcoming cooler track season!

Yea my fast lap was with a passenger. My driver side tires started losing grip after that lap (it was about Lap 5) so I started to back off the throttle a bit to cool down the tires. However, the pace was fast enough that I was catching people and I lost the chance to run hard again.

My car needs a little more camber and a little more front tire to feel just right. Right now the car is setup very easy to drive. It's not the fastest setup, but rather a comfortable setup where you can push the car hard easily. To tell you how much understeer I'm getting, I'm running 1/16" total toe-in (rear) with more front camber than the rear on a 225/255 setup. The AP2V3 setup you speak of sounds like the Spoon cars with the yellow wheels on one side and blue wheels on the other side!

Everybody says they need to watch out for me, but my tendency is to drive what I'm comfortable with. I hope you and everyone at the XS event enjoyed listening to that Berk exhaust.
I know all about the driver side losing grip. I feel you on that one!

When I was returning my transponder you took off from the pits, and I thought the glass was going to break in the tower!!!! Haha! Sounded and looked great though It is the TP'd version right?
Old 07-11-2011, 01:39 PM

Here's a sound clip of michael's ap2 with the rear mufflers cut off, single exit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXYGzb1Dzdk
Old 07-11-2011, 02:08 PM

Travis?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahahahah that was awesome!!!! The camera was spinning as I turned!

There was dirt on my windshield because I went off track a couple three times So the camera wouldn't stick.

Thanks for posting. Funny vid!

Quick Reply: Buttonwillow July 10th My short write up!