California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Best Travel Credit Card?

Old 03-08-2010 | 11:24 AM

highly recommend looking for a card that charges less of a "international usage/conversion" fee. Most cards are standard 3%

a few are less than that. very few are 0%

I don't travel out of the states ever, so I've never looked for them myself
Old 03-08-2010 | 12:15 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1036AP2,Mar 8 2010, 11:37 AM
i went on contiki back in aug-sept 2008 for 3 weeks.
had a badass time. basically a large party bus with mainly australians
went to 10 countries in europe
i think everyone should do it.
we went when our US dollar was the weakest probably
in the uk, things were 2x and everywhere else in europe was 1.5x the cost
in all, with airfare, contiki, extra excrusions, purchases cost us about $12,000 (my wife and i)
im sure if we went when i our dollar was stronger, it would have been closer to $8-9k
That sounds good. My 2.5 week trip around Greece and its various islands costs me approximately $8,000 between my girlfriend and I. That included hotels, food, car rentals, ferries, plane tickets, souvenirs, etc.

I plan on traveling to Chile in December for a month but really want to book a trip to Europe for next year.

Julio: Just a few questions:
-Which country will you start in and where will you end up?
-Are you traveling alone?
-Are you taking any books to help with translations?
-Where will you travel to once in Spain?

Old 03-08-2010 | 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ESCALVANTE,Mar 8 2010, 01:15 PM
That sounds good. My 2.5 week trip around Greece and its various islands costs me approximately $8,000 between my girlfriend and I. That included hotels, food, car rentals, ferries, plane tickets, souvenirs, etc.

I plan on traveling to Chile in December for a month but really want to book a trip to Europe for next year.

Julio: Just a few questions:
-Which country will you start in and where will you end up?
-Are you traveling alone?
-Are you taking any books to help with translations?
-Where will you travel to once in Spain?

My itinerary is:

Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, France, and end up in Spain.

I will be traveling with my girlfriend. She knows German and I know Spanish, and anything else we'll rely on our good looks and English fluency to get us by.

Within Spain I will be staying at my dad's condo in Barcelona and my mom's condo in Madrid. We'll probably rent a car and travel to other areas depending on how money is and how much fortitude we have for the extra travel. We might even go to North Africa.

Old 03-08-2010 | 02:38 PM

I loved Germany when I went. Could totally see myself living there. People there are pretty nice, and ironically, there's a decent population of my peoples there from the war. Got by knowing only a few German words. Most of the people I ran into spoke some kind of English. I had a harder time getting around and communicating with the Parisians. They seem to not want to acknowledge you if you don' speak French.

Plus Germany is pretty darn clean. Their public restrooms are pretty clean and they are pretty strict on their recycling. it. Not to mention people there know how to drive. Unlike Californians who can't drive worth doo doo if their life depended on it.

And their diet in Germany is pretty much meat and potato. LOL

At some point I want to go back.. Check out Austria, Czech, Turkey, Croatia, Switzerland, Italy and Greece.
Old 03-08-2010 | 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by mrjulius,Mar 6 2010, 04:28 PM
June to September of this year.
You must work for school district. How you able to get 3 months off work. I'm very jealous.
Old 03-08-2010 | 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by asiantrick,Mar 8 2010, 04:11 PM
You must work for school district. How you able to get 3 months off work. I'm very jealous.
I was able to get the time off but I'm not getting paid for it.

I work for an engineering company.
Old 03-08-2010 | 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by lilazngrl4o8,Mar 8 2010, 03:38 PM
I loved Germany when I went. Could totally see myself living there. People there are pretty nice, and ironically, there's a decent population of my peoples there from the war. Got by knowing only a few German words. Most of the people I ran into spoke some kind of English. I had a harder time getting around and communicating with the Parisians. They seem to not want to acknowledge you if you don' speak French.

Plus Germany is pretty darn clean. Their public restrooms are pretty clean and they are pretty strict on their recycling. it. Not to mention people there know how to drive. Unlike Californians who can't drive worth doo doo if their life depended on it.

And their diet in Germany is pretty much meat and potato. LOL

At some point I want to go back.. Check out Austria, Czech, Turkey, Croatia, Switzerland, Italy and Greece.
I've been to several of the countries that I listed already, which is why I want to go back.

Munich is probably one of the best cities I've ever been to.