Cheap tools at Harbor Freight.
damn someone beat me to it
Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

snap on, matco =]
Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by iam7head,Sep 3 2008, 07:14 PM
how often you use it? i would say go for a good set of socket and go HF for odd items.

craftsman's warranty is lacking now a day, for a little more i'll go to snap on's, once you go snap on's you'll never go back
ive broken a lot of stuff ive bought from harbor freight, but dammit i still keep going back

its so hit or miss at HF. you really need to evaluate the need for the tool and its use vs the price. the cheapest stuff really is so crappy its not even worth what little i paid. yet stuff like their aluminum jacks and 20 ton presses have decent reviews and are worth the price vs the competition "name brand".

but, i did buy this simple SAE/metric socket and ratchet set for my friend who keeps wanting to bum my tools to put his ikea furniture together! i figure the $10 i paid is worth it. he'll get some use out of it, maybe even change some oil.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=35338

btw, i like said, i love what i have in my tool bag thats from snap on. the quality really is nice. but theyre not indestructible. thats why i cant get myself to pay for their sockets. their ratchets arent so bad of a deal tho. buy a used one on ebay and you can rebuild it yourself for $10 if it breaks. recently did that with a 1/2" drive ratchet. ordered the rebuild kit online and did it myself and its basically like new. if i had a truck stopping by my shop twice a week, sure id use snap on. but im dont have access to that. so when a socket or ratchet breaks, its not hard to find a sears to get a replacement.
pics of rebuild kit here.
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.ph...514&highlight=
Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 PM

snap-on ftw! craftsman stuff is way better than no name stuff and is prob what i would use if i didnt get to borrow snap-on tools from my old work. but once you use snap-on, other stuff just cant compare. craftsman gets my vote for tools to keep in the garage at home. sears has a grip of their stuff.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:34 PM

So what would be the best inexpensive low profile floor jack?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:03 AM

ive had good luck with this.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=47246

theres a cheaper version, but im not going to vouch for it since i didnt use it. just wait for this one to go on sale.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craftsman, made in USA, lifetime warranty, exchange no questions asked, affordable.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 AM

I use Craftsman because my wife buys them for me.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I grew up with 50k worth the iron (what he calls tools) "snap-on" from my dad in the garage and probably a lot more money in airtools etc.

My experience is when it comes to simple wrenches SNAP-ON all the way. HOWEVER, some of the swivel socket stuff made by Mac is better then the Snap-On stuff and there's some airtools that certain companies beat snap-on too.

It really depends on the tool honestly. Overall I'd give the nod to Snap-On for dependability though. but the $$$$....

For the average joe wrenching on his car and stuff around the home, snap-on/mac/etc are OVERKILL!!!!! Go get some craftsman PRO (smooth rather then rough forged stuff) and call it a day. They warranty all their hardtools and that's good enough for me.

The set of wreches I use down here are the old skool Snap-on from 20 years ago or so, they're better actually then the new stuff as they're slimmer and able to get in tough spots, they also dont have any teeth on the box side so they can be used for things like aircraft since they don't scuff the bolts up which the FIA regulations don't allow.

WHY I LOVE SNAP-ON TRUCK GUYS
I broke a 17mm a while ago and thought "damn i ruined a 20year old perfect set" I couldn't find the old skool style so eventually I flagged a snap-on truck down and showed him the problem... he looked at the wrenches and looked at me (age 23) and said "son where the hell did you get a set like that" I explained it was my old man's set from back in the day and these wrenches had saved lives of the guys on the crab boats when they're engines failed my dad would be flown my helicopter and land on the boat and fix the engines on the spot before the whole boat ended up stranded and lives were at risk when the boat goes sideways without power and the waves hit from the side. (good money!, its the same boats off that show "The Most Dangerous Catch") "I'm gonna make sure I find you a 17mm some how, sounds like these wrenches have done their job" He gave me a new style 17mm for the time being, A few months later I got a call, "this is jeff H.... and I'm calling about that 17mm, I got er right here for ya" I couldn't believe he came through.

SNAP-ON FTW!

-G

(keep in mind no lifetime warranty on craftsman airtools etc.!)

for for long post

Quick Reply: best place for buying tools?