California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

arrgh! Speeding ticket!!!

Old 03-25-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arrgh! Speeding ticket!!!

I got a speeding ticket (CHP) outside of Valencia going 95 in a 65. I am not trying to fight it really, but I want to go to traffic school. I haven't had a ticket in 2.5 years, I am eligible for it, yeah? Also, what kind of fine am I looking at?? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-25-2004, 08:04 PM

Yes you are eligible to take traffic school.

You can't go to TS if you have not done it within 18months.

the fine that you are looking at is maaybe ~200 maybe less maybe more.

gl.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:25 PM

I highly doubt you're eligible for traffic school for that speed. Call the court and ask them about it. You may as well just try to fight it and hope the cop doesn't show....or...just pay it and deal with insurance but I really doubt you'll get traffic school. You at least have a small chance as opposed to no chance if you plead guilty and ask for traffic school and get shot down.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,531 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Were you on the 5 freeway? The CHP has been really heavy on the 14 in Palmdale and Lancaster for the past two or three weeks, although they seem to have lightened up this week. Bike cops though are still around. Saw one sitting on the southbound Ave N on ramp today, waiting for someone to fly by.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:42 PM

sorry to hear that man
Old 03-26-2004, 06:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by SavesTheDay
I got a speeding ticket (CHP) outside of Valencia going 95 in a 65. I am not trying to fight it really, but I want to go to traffic school. I haven't had a ticket in 2.5 years, I am eligible for it, yeah? Also, what kind of fine am I looking at?? Thanks in advance!
I beleive the rule is - Traffic school option if within 15 mph of speed limit. Anything over 15 mph is points and fine.

I agree with the post above, fight it and hope the CHP don't show, or , go to court and ask for traffic school. Just my opinion.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:01 AM

When I got my last ticket in January, I was told by the chippy that past 85mph you can't go to traffic school. I was going 105+ ahh..gotta love the V6 Accord. >_< Anyhoot, I couldn't get out of the ticket but he did write me up for going 85mph so I can go to traffic school. I'm pissed about the ticket but happy that I can attend. Hopefully you can go to traffic school as well. Best of luck in court.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:05 PM

A few years back I got a ticket and did a search on the net and found a great resource for how to beat a ticket. I used it and it worked. I just spend the past 20 minutes looking for that article but wasn't able to find it. I'll give you a summary of what was involved (as much as I can remember), but if you want to use this method I suggest you try a search on google yourself. Looks like there are plenty of links for "how to beat a ticket" but this explained how to beat a ticket without ever setting foot in a courtroom.

1) Submit your plea by mail (not guilty, of course).

2) Here's the part I don't remember exactly how to accomplish but there's a way that you can request/demand a written testimony as opposed to an in person testimony in court. Basically, you write down exactly what happened and mail it back to the court. Now, the officer who charged you must also submit a written testimony if he wants to continue with the charges.

Why does this make a difference?

Well, when you try to plead your case in person in court the officer will often show up to testify against you. He gets paid for his time for spending a nice, relaxing few hours at the court house. However, if you testify by mail he must sit down, right out a very thorough testimony against you and, let's face it, most people don't like writing long, boring reports.

Wish I had more specific details. Like I said, try your own search on the web. Good luck!

- d.